Software
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (24)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    1950 ranch style home - would like rustic ranch ideas to spif it up and update the porch (?)

  • 8 years ago

    Nice, neat home. But you need landscaping to complete the look, anchor the home and give it some color. Best to visit your local garden center when they can draw up a plan, work within your budget, and set a timeline. You can save money by doing the work yourself. The tree looks lonely and is too close to the house. That should go first.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like your house!

    For rustic ranch, one thing I’d do is replace is the metal column with a square cedar post — painted, stained, or left natural. It’ll look beefier, while still going well with the style of your house.

    For landscaping, I don’t know where you are or your conditions to suggest specific plantings. What look do you like? MCM style, very organic, simple, natural? A cottage-y look with lots of flowers? Etc.

    The planting bed looks pretty narrow, but it’s hard to tell in a picture. If you want a simpler look, I’d do a variety of ornamental grasses, some perennials, a a large decorative rock. Just a general idea:

    dgilseth thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I was thinking of bringing the steps to the entrance out a little further - brick and yes love the idea of the cedar post! We have a real gopher problem - I would like to tear out the weed/lawn and replace with ??? Some kind of rock garden?


  • 8 years ago

    I would consider widening the current lanscaping bed and include curves to soften the linear aspects of the home.

    dgilseth thanked Elle
  • 8 years ago

    You could grow climbing roses or clematis on the metal support post.

  • 8 years ago

    what about the porch area? Should it be enlarged to make it more welcoming?

  • 8 years ago

    Remove the bush, heftier column painted white like the trim; if you widen the porch the column will be in the middle and may look silly. Landscaping will help

    dgilseth thanked jck910
  • 8 years ago

    ahh haa...good point

  • 8 years ago

    I like the concept Yardvaark shows, but would change the material in front of the stoop to brick to match the stoop rather than an extension of the asphalt. Very nice home.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow, very cool softwear! Thank you for doing that visual for me. Would it be possible to bring the brick out in place of the driveway extension to see how that would look?




  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The "cool" software is Microsoft Paint. :-)

    dgilseth thanked Yardvaark
  • 8 years ago

    Very nice! Thank you so much! Are you located in No. Cal by any chance?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    No. I am in Florida.

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    Oh YESSS
    ! I love this! Perfect!

  • 8 years ago

    So this is the continuation of the front of my home. The porch is obviously just to the left...should I carry over the same type of plants? Any more brick?


  • 8 years ago

    I see the imaging battle is on. How do you folks do that??

    Where is the house located? That makes all the difference when selecting plants. Although with the concept designs, usually you can find a local plant to fit the concept, so those are excellent.

  • 8 years ago

    I would extend the porch all the way down and add a cedar pergola.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Some landscaping with a West Elm type feel, new modern metal house numbers that match your roof color & a fun modern chair or small bench near door w cool pillows. Cute house!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

    "I see the imaging battle is on. How do you folks do that??"

    Don't know what others are using but I'm using Microsoft Paint. Paste (or open) an image in the work area and draw over it. Requires a touchscreen with stylus in order to do detailed work (pencil, eraser and brush tools.) Without that, pretty much limited to using line and shape tools.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I use Microsoft Paint with basic computer, keyboard and mouse. Requires one hand with fingers! LOL!

  • 8 years ago

    Ooo, ooo, ooo, I'm lovin' the additions! House is located in West Petaluma, (North of San Francisco). Cooler temps, but this is the warm, sunny side of the house.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner