Software
Houzz Logo Print
motownn313

Should I tile to the top or stop at the hood range?

8 years ago
Hi all, hoping I get some guidance. I’m remodeling my kitchen. I originally wanted my tile to go all the way up, but I’m afraid it would be too much. My ceilings are 8ft. I will be installing a hood range that is glass and silver the part that covers the vent. My kitchen is seen from the entrance of the house. What’s your thought on this? Here’s a few pics. Thank you so much for any tips.

Comments (98)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Oh I just love the crackle tiles!

    match grout to your countertop white..the subtle difference between the tiles and your counters will just blend together using this method...take it all the way up.......wow it is going to look beautiful! So happy you changed it out now rather than later...

  • 8 years ago
    @homeinteriorswithease
    White grout? I was thinking a very light gray. I’m afraid the hubs and I won’t be the best at keeping up with the maintenance of a white grout. We throw down in the kitchen, using some of Mexico’s Chile’s that can be messy. Especially the Chile that is used for the “red enchiladas”.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You can purchase no sand grout with sealer now so easy breezy..no worries with stains! My husband is Italian and I make a giant size pot full of red meat sauce that bubbles and splatters all over while it cooks down for hours....sealed grout wipes clean...the white grout is what will keep it from looking to busy again..subtle and elegant... I say no gray grout...be sure to use no sand grout or you will scratch that beautiful finish on the tiles!

  • 8 years ago
    Soooooo much better! Love it! I’d go all the way up with it.
  • 8 years ago
    A nice neutral backsplash will go great with those floors. But honey, NOOOO that backsplash is Bu-sy, Good luck with the re-do!
  • 8 years ago

    Looks amazing motown313! You fared through this so well. Now you and hubby can go have a beer at Founders Brewing Co. Detroit.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    please,,no white grout. go with a light gray. Warm Gray. perfect match with your cabs/floors

    ****before you grout, rub the face of all those tiles with a sealer*** do not let it drip down the sides. crackle glaze can let the grout in those small fissures. seal it before you grout.



    Mapei makes a light gray in the flex color CQ line. it's a stain proof grout. avail at Lowes. It already comes premixed, ready to go. if you are doing this yourself, please watch the video on how to grout and clean up w/this type of grout. clean up has to be very fast,,,one grouts, the other is behind him w/a damp (not wet) rag, cleaning and wiping.

    it looks like this one installed. it's not a blue gray,,more of a warm gray.

    Oh, and take the tile all the way up to the ceiling. beautiful choice,,glad you redid it.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    oh wait,,just looked at the pic again,,your cabs stop short of ceiling. take it up even w/the cabs. some people actually tile above the cabs,,,that's your choice,,I like it either way.

    is there anyway you can get some large crown to close the gap? Maybe you do have it but haven't installed yet?

    crown, like they have here? if you do this, then take the tile up to the ceiling.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Of course not pure white grout...compare the grout colors with your counter tops..a soft off white or linen are what I am thinking...I think doing gray grout you are pretty much stuck In The gray world when picking paint colors for the walls..with a soft white or linen cooler you have a bit more flexibility with wall colors.just a thought.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I don't know about an off white next to a white tile. too me, it looks dingy and offers no contrast w/the tiles.

    HIwE, I posted my warm gray on my tiles. in person it almost looks like a linen color,,not a gray-gray at all.

    bright white

    Linen

    beige

    Sahara Beige (polyblend)

    it's difficult to even find examples of white tiles and off white grout. almost everyone uses a white or a gray. I still like the warm gray option.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Not literately the color “off white” just not a pure white....like I said check out the color next to your countertops...going with anything other than that will give more contrast and very much a brick patterned backsplash instead of a textured subtle look....you will know when you see it..no matter what it will be much better than the first time selection!:)))

  • 8 years ago
    Would you mind sharing your kitchen dimensions plus island width and length?
  • 8 years ago

    motown313,

    You have such an amazing and positive attitude. And yes thick skin. I am enjoying watching your beautiful space unfold. It all looks lovely.

    ~boxer

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Wow that looks a million times better! And yes, a light gray would be better than white.


  • 8 years ago
    @bethh, yes. I have crown molding ready to be installed. It’s very simple molding. That was a challenge to decide too.
  • 8 years ago
    @bethh, I’m missing a small Latice I believe it’s called on the molding. I’ll make sure to share a pic. This reminds me we’re still days away from the finish line lol.
  • 8 years ago
    @boxerpal thank you, it’s been a journey for sure. One that I’m glad I won’t repeat for a very long time. Thanks
  • 8 years ago
    @lovingsunnysd
    Kitchen is 14x16
    The island is 60x72
    The countertop does have an overhang of 10inches.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    For those of you who have commented on the floor, Thank you! Hubs did an amazing job.

  • 8 years ago

    love love love the floors @motowm313


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Remove existing back splash its way to busy with the floor.install subway tile to the ceiling in the case of hood

    motown313 . thanked Bourke Construction Inc.
  • 8 years ago

    Bourke,,,little late to the party. they already did and are doing so.

  • 8 years ago
    Wow, Motown, you’re amazing! I love the new tile and all of your kitchen— even moreso, since you guys did it yourself. Kudos to you and hubs on the nice results.
    motown313 . thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    Home Interiors, what area around the Big D are you from? I'm from that area, too, but I've been an AZ girl for many years. I still miss "home," especially in the summer and fall!
    motown313 . thanked drsaj
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hi darsaj.....grew up in Harrison Township area....my husband grew up in downtown D...near Outer Drive.....raised our kids in Plymouth...spend our summers in Northern MI...loved spending time in Detroit..miss all the great food!...miss the seasons so much! My kids both received degrees from UOA! Couldn’t wait to get out of AZ...just wasn’t for them....way to HOT! But have been in Northern AZ it is beautiful.

  • 8 years ago
    Home Interiors, my hubby and I grew up in Wayne/Westland. The Plymouth Canton area has changed so much since we left in 86. I can't say I miss the winters. I remember my commute to EMU before the roads were cleared early in the mornings. It wasn't pretty. But summer in the Phx area is not pleasurable, either. Once my hubby retires, we hope to enjoy the best of both worlds! 6 months here/there.
  • 8 years ago
    We had a very similar situation during our remodel 3 years ago and we chose to tile up to the ceiling behind the hood and over the window. We loved the look and were so happy we chose to do it!
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Since you have crown to the ceiling take the tile all the way to the ceiling as well. Nice clean look. The new tile looks great with the other materials, good on you for being flexible!

    motown313 . thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 8 years ago

    @susansease your kitchen is amazing! I love that idea. I have two windows, I'm going to check it out. Wouldn't look bad I think, but after my tile drama I'm more wary lol.

  • 8 years ago

    Looking good, kudos on taking the leap and changing the splash! I like the idea of a grey drout, and tiling all the way up. You've got a good space coming along

  • 8 years ago

    Love your new tile choice and great advice from Beth on grouting. I would absolutely tile all the way to ceiling behind cooktop as well as the window wall and opposite wall that appears open---ALL 3 walls tiled to ceiling. Will give a wow high end custom finish to your beautiful kitchen. Finish line is closer than you think!

  • 8 years ago
    We’re so close! Here’s a glimpse. A tiny one.
    FYI tiling is hard Hahahaha. The sweat equity makes it all worth it. Those imperfect lines is a representation of us doing the best we can. We aren’t pros for sure.
  • 8 years ago
    We didn’t tile all the way up on the windows. There wasn’t enough space between the molding and cabinets and I didn’t want to have all these tiny tiles and grout. We went with a light gray grout and Greyish paint color. Smooth stone from Glidden. I wanted revere pewter from Sherwin but I’m going to save that color for my living room.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Not bad for amateurs, and SO much better than the busy busy ( ps most everything is hard without lots of practice! and virtually anything and EVERYTHING is harder than it looks! lol )

  • 8 years ago
    motown, your husband is amazing! He did those gorgeous labor intensive floors AND ripped out the splash because a bunch of strangers on the Internet told him to! :) It all looks great, can't wait to see the finished project. You both are a great example of how much one can accomplish with DIY .
  • 8 years ago
    Your tile looks fabulous, Motown!
  • 8 years ago

    Looking good! (There are pros who don't come near!) Not perfect but hey, don't be too hard on yourself, it's coming along nicely. And the hard work will be worth it, think of all the happy hours you'll spend there.

  • 8 years ago
    @ishack17 thanks! No definitely we did not pull the tile because of strangers. Lol. I wasn’t feeling it with the mosaic tile. Originally we purchased Allen & Roth white subs and the mosaic for behind the stove. Than one Day I was thinking subs are boring. lol. I’m the most indecisive person ever!

    I returned the subs and got mosaic than I couldn’t handle walking in and looking at bam! That style just isn’t me. I’m a clean lines and simple type of gal! I live and learn.
  • 8 years ago
    I do have an awesome husband for sure. I could get tips on not being to bossy and picky. But hey that’s a whole other topic, and a different platform for that. Hahahahahaha. Happy wife happy life is his motto.
  • 8 years ago

    ^Lucky you motown313!

  • 8 years ago
    We have another pickle! My hubs did a flex vent for the hood range, that’s a major no no! Thank God I google and read instructions. Here we go again... 3 steps forward and one back. We live and learn. Never ever do I want to do another kitchen.
  • 8 years ago

    3 steps forward and one back is still two steps forward!!

  • 8 years ago
    @Najeebah you’re so right!! Thank you! I needed that! This kitchen has me feeling all types of ways. Two steps forward! Better have noticed it now than later...
  • 8 years ago

    Much better yes :) You'll get there. I love it when a plan (changes, and) comes together

  • 8 years ago

    I love the tile backsplash. I just love seeing all the talent on Houzz. Truly beautiful.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Looks great Motown313! Gosh still would have loved to see lighter grout so that the brick pattern was more subtle more textured than pattern but it looks very nice...great job and a lot of hard work!

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks guys. I just couldn’t do white.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    No worries Motown313 it is beautiful and is will be so wonderful with your counter tops and floors...you have to go with what you are comfortable with!:))

  • 8 years ago

    How long is the vent run?