Software
Houzz Logo Print
seabiscuit68

Am I Going Insane?

8 years ago

Everywhere I look, I'm seeing quotes for windows ranging from $400 - $1000 for vinyl replacements. I live in MN and have gotten two quotes so far and went in fully expecting those values...instead, I'm getting quotes of between $1800 and $2500.

The first company says the windows range from $2k to $2.5k per window. These are a local company (Lindus Construction) and they use a triple-pane, low-e, argon filled, XL Edge spaced Sunrise variant window. I understand that these stats make it a pretty high end Sunrise...but $2.25k per window??? My windows aren't that strange of sizes. 18 windows and 8 of them are about 24"x62". There are three windows which are two casements + picture window in between, but the rest of them are very small windows.

The second quote is for Soft-Lite Imperius XL which is one of the high end soft-lites (Triple Pane version). He originally quoted me over $62k...$3400 per window. He moved all the way down to $33k ($1800 per window) before I told him I needed to process this and figure out what is going on.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I can't find a single source across the internet with anything near these prices.

What is going on?!?!

Comments (43)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Get more quotes. It is not uncommon for dealers that sell high end and dealer exclusive windows to ask exclusive pricing.

    Are you doing inserts or a full frame install?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    One quote ($2250 per) was for the full frame install. The other was for inserts. I'm right that those prices are ridiculous, right? What should I be paying?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The insert prices are very high, the full frame install could be reseasonable depending on what they are doing on the exterior such as removing siding , cutting in new trim or stucco repairs. The interior can make prices high due to ornate trim work , species of wood , custom staining, ect. Are all you’re windows white interior and exterior? Any grids work?

  • 8 years ago

    High end windows in MN seem to be higher than normal. I just had 2 Sunrise restorations installed for $5340. Both were full frame Double casements, triple pane w/ argon, white exterior, oak interior, madera trim, and nickel handles.

    I wanted the Sunrise windows for appearance and u values, so my options were limited. I got one other quote who preferred dual pane, and quoted another $200 for them and another $400 if I wanted triple. The 3rd qoute never got back to me.

    i think the storms from last spring/summer is still driving up prices. Where in MN are you?

  • 8 years ago

    Eagan, MN. South of the storms. Nothing fancy on these. Base white on the inside. One of the basic / standard colors on the outside. Nothing custom. The exterior work on the new construction bid would be very minimal.


    Might need to wait a few years for prices to stabilize in the metro area. I am so desperate for a "normal" bid, I'm having...Home Depot...come and quote me. I have two more coming Friday as well with another Sunrise bit and another Soft-Lite.

  • 8 years ago

    Actually, I can use the storm to my advantage since I am not in immediate need of replacements. The insurance runs out on those claims in the next month here and after the 8 weeks of lead time these company's are going to face a vacuum like they haven't experienced in a year. Come State Fair time, these guys are gonna be begging me.


    Thanks for the reminder on the storms. I'm going to hold off anything more until the State Fair in August. Gonna be interesting to see how different these numbers are then.

  • 8 years ago

    The storms here were really bad. Also, one of the contractors said the storms did drive up prices, so I think waiting the few months until all the insurance money dries up will help a lot.


    I did not realize about the need to count a double casement + picture as 3 windows. I obviously expected them to be more expensive, but didn't expect it to be 3x the price. I didn't realize when people were saying they were getting xxx windows replaced, they were already taking that into consideration.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    On the storm pricing, I suppose its possible. The smaller the company, the more likely that their prices will shift based on how busy they are due to storms or otherwise.

    On the quantity issue, yes, that is a common miscommunication. Pricing is generally a tough topic due to all of the variables and opportunities for mixed signals like that... If you already have the other appts scheduled you may as well keep them. You may find a better fit, or at least give you a better basis for comparison.

  • 8 years ago

    Funny, the contractors that came out to give me estimates kept referring to my double casements as a single window despite me calling them two.

  • 8 years ago

    Same with the contractors I had out. They all agreed I was replacing 18 windows, not 27. I can't imagine people on the internet who are saying quotes are dividing out each individual window in cases like this. Which, again, brings me back to how insanely high these prices are.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Quantities when you have multiple banks of window can get confusing based on the terms that they are being discussed in, and often the number of openings are used just to keep these conversations simple to homeowners. After all, the important part at the end of the day is the bottom line price. It's only when the "per unit" discussion comes into place where things get easily misconstrued. What I can say with absolute certainty, and I'm sure that the other professionals that regularly contribute will back me on this, is that when you are seeing or hearing discussions about an average price of $X per window, that is referring to the quantity of mainframes, and really most often defaults to a DH pocket replacement under 101 united inches. Make that a twin unit? Double the price, or if not very close to it. Same for adding a transom, or taking a bank of 3 or 4+ windows.

    As mentioned on the other site seabiscuit, you actually have 29 windows. Please humor me, and imagine yourself at the window factory. They are taking lineals of window material, cutting, welding frames, adding weatherstripping, sending on to the next station and the next station. Same for sashes. Constructing the glass packs, sealing them. Assembling all parts. QC check. This occurs for every unit. It makes no difference to them if these are being installed into one rough opening or several, and they are priced accordingly. In fact, there are actually MORE charges on these units when they are "factory mulled", meaning assembled at the factory. That is another step added to the manufacturing process. Some installation companies may cut you a break on installation if they are in one RO, but many times not as these are complex installs, often including mull removals etc that may be even more extensive than a separate tear out and installation. Once again though, that's just a very long, extensive explanation supporting the fact that your pricing is not as crazy as you thought because it is for 29 windows, not 18. This topic comes up with some regularity when a homeowner thinks that they've been quoted an outrageous price, only to find out that its a misunderstanding on quantities. If you search a little bit I'm sure that you will stumble across a few more threads that discuss it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would agree with Homesealed, what is the total cost you are getting F.R. this project?

  • 8 years ago

    What is F.R. ? Sorry for my ignorance.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    For is what i meant

  • 8 years ago

    Got a quote from Home Depot for the Simonton 6500 triple pane. 18 windows (we will keep it 18 for consistency even though we know it is technically more)...$1777 per window ($32k total).


    That seems high to me. Had him do the Anderson they offer and it was $48k (ROFL).


    Have window prices just skyrocketed the last few years?

  • 8 years ago

    No. You are counting them wrong like the other guys said. The title of your post is very appropriate at this point

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What was the total price for the quote for the full frame tear out? It sounds like that price may be alright if you figure you actually have 29 window units with some being. Mulled together.

  • 8 years ago

    Alright, I am finally home and can break this down since it isn't exactly clear what I have and what I'm getting.


    There are 18 holes that I'm filling. Here is a breakdown of the 18 holes:

    2x - 21" x 61" Casement with 2x 21" x 14" picture on top. Not sure what this type of window is referred to.

    2x - 21" x 61" Casement

    56" x 37" - Double Casement + Picture

    45" x 37" - Double Casement

    2x - 21" x 37" Casement

    4x - 21" x 62" Casement

    80" x 51" Double Casement + Picture

    68" x 51" Double Casement + Picture (Tempered)

    44" x 51" Double Casement (Tempered)

    2x - 21" x 51x (Tempered)

    53" x 51" Double Casement


    The quotes I got were as follows:

    1. Custom Sunrise (Triple Pane, XL Edge, Argon, Full Frame Replacement, non-Prorated Lifetime Warranty) = ~$40k
    Per Opening: ~$2250
    Per Window (29): $1379


    2. Imperial LS - (Triple Pane, Super Spacer, Argon, Insert Replacement, non-Prorated Lifetime Warranty - swapped some of the casement with double hung and some of the casement + picture for just casement or double hung) = $33k
    Per Opening: $1833
    Per Window (25): $1320


    3. Home Depot Simonton 6500 (Triple Pane, Super Spacer, Argon, Full Frame Replacement, Pro-rated Lifetime Warranty - swapped two of the Double Casement + Picture to just Double Casement) = $32k
    Per Opening: $1778
    Per Window (25): $1280


    Are any of these reasonable prices? Just for kicks, I had the Home Depot guy do the Double Pane Andersons = $48k lol




  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You have two pretty solid window options in choices 1 and 2.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    #1 is the best as far as pricing goes since it is all casements which are more expensive and is s full frame tear out which is more labor and materials cost.

  • 8 years ago

    Alright. I have three more quotes coming in tomorrow. Another of each Sunrise and Soft-Lite and then I'm thinking about having the Apex dealer come out. I guess they are the ones who did 6 windows on our house before we moved in. I know they seem to be hated here - is that solely because of the company, or are the windows that sub par? I know they use the original Intercept spacer which I'm not thrilled with, but the rest of their stuff looks decent. The 6 that were done by them appear okay, but one of them has a draft in MN winters which I'm not thrilled about.

    I'm thinking about dropping the Apex quote and just getting the others for the time being.


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I feel like we’re making progress.

  • 8 years ago

    Most of the criticism of Apex has centered on their marketing and sales practices. Since you have already expressed concerns about others on that topic, you should probably consider it. Good idea on the other two.

  • 8 years ago

    I cancelled the Apex quote. The lady told me her quote would probably be in line with the Soft-Lite quote, which to me doesn't seem right considering how much better a product the Soft-Lite seems to be vs. an Alside Insignia.


    I cancelled the other Sunrise quote too because they do the whole "we measure then setup another meeting to discuss and give you prices" thing. I've wasted enough time with this already.

  • 8 years ago

    Who have you gotten quotes from so far?

  • 8 years ago

    Lindus Construction (Sunrise), Budget Windows (Soft-Lite), Home Depot (Simonton + Anderson). I have another guy coming tomorrow for another Soft-Lite quote from Sandau.


  • 8 years ago

    DIY Example.

    Did replacements - everything is better than 20 year old builder grade, that are neither plumb or square ...

    Per window

    Big box Pella Thermastar, low-e, 36x54 rough opening, grill in glass, stock on the shelf at store, $175.

    The went in from the inside ... "easily"

    Outside wood trim in great shape, light paint touch up (wood).

    remove old window sashes hardware and un-used stops

    removed interior trim/sill to get replacement window into box, and against stops.

    shimmed, test fit, re-fit marked ...

    caulked along interior stops (dynaflex 230, say one tube per window $4.50)

    put window in; re-shimmed, screwed into place (shims ... $5, synthetic and cedar).

    spray foam (one can per window $6) after everything looks good ... tiny gap between frame/box, and replacement window, and around outside of box behind the drywall gaps exposed by removing trim.

    re-trim - basic case molding, no sill/style, these are sort of low on the wall, dont want sill sticking out ($5 ... .30/lf)

    caulk & paint trim (prime & 2 coats of super-paint semi-gloss).

    In this case, I re-painted whole walls for a clean finish.

    This would be the absolute cheapest.


    Zone 7 I think, very mild winters, host summer, 1/2 faces north, 1/2 faces south. 1/2 been in about 10 years, the other 1/2 6 years, all look/perform great. Also our mosquitoes are not big enough to break our windows).


    A great window improperly installed is money wasted.


    We got quotes when we moved in for doors/windows (4x french dual inswing and 15 double hungs) ... The first batch is up there! 10% of what we paid for house, so, insane (Marvin).

    Window-only companies, come in with a great model, and a "meh". And, will discount 3x before being ushered out the door.

    I did not see a reason/cause for the replacement.

    What is the real $ you will save per month heating/cooling? Compare that to the $48K, maybe use it for a down payment on a new place = all new windows! ... or buy some solar or geothermal energy assist, and just don't have any windows!





  • 8 years ago

    "A great window improperly installed is money wasted."

    Wise words scragoz.

    My next question would be, isn't a terrible window installed using diy grade materials and completed by by an amateur a bad investment then as well? Dare I say worse?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You replaced 20 year old builder grade Windows with new builder grade windows.

    you will not be able to find casements in sizes needed off the shelf especially in mullled units. Even cheap Pellas get very expensive when you have to custom order, especially factory mulled casement triple panes.

    I think it would better to compare window world pricing to your install since they even use a better product than the Thermastar.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Am amatuer can certainly do a good job if they educate themselves and have half a brain (and are fairly handy). I can say without a doubt I would have installed my windows better than the “pros” that did my initial window install. The pros just do it all the time and have years of experience in fixing the unexpected and knowledge of how it should be done.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I’d agree an amateur can do a good job, perhaps even better in some cases.

    The problem is your comparison is using budget window double hung off the shelf window and comparing it to a high quality triple paned casement Window with factory mulling and in some of the bids it has nail finseith afull frame install. You are comparing a rotten apple to high qualtiy oranges, Even your low end Pellia specked out in the poster is getting quotes on would cost st you 3x’s as much compared the what you paid.

  • 8 years ago

    "The pros just do it all the time and have years of experience in fixing the unexpected and knowledge of how it should be done."

    Oh, is that all? lol.


  • 8 years ago

    I would consider doing the install myself, but most of the windows are 30+ ft in the air. I don't have the equipment to deal with that. Also need full frame replacement so going from the inside isn't an option. I also have a wife and two young kids that I don't really want to be living in a construction zone for two months while I learn the trade.

    Also, I'd have to custom order the windows as most aren't normal size. Plus I live in MN so buying cheap windows wouldn't be wise considering it will be 95 tomorrow and -20 in January.



  • PRO
    8 years ago

    That’s why we make the big money.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The full frame quote you got is seeming more and more reasonable the more details you reveal.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree with Todd. On the surface, $1300 for a vinyl window sounds very high, but you really have that thing loaded up with options and install complications. If we deconstructed that down to a white/white double pane, pocket replacement, I'd bet it would be smack in the middle of the range that you had expected. Something like $750 or so.

    I don't think I saw an answer yet to the question of whether the quote includes interior woodwork?

  • 8 years ago

    Unfortunately the Lindus quote wasn't the formal one and I have to wait another week before hearing the quote and all the options and everything. The sales guy is going on vacation. Convienent.

    In short, I don't know if it includes interior wood work.

  • 8 years ago


    What happened that you need so many, or all new windows?
    (doors/roof fine?)

    Example was just the bottom-bottom end dollar-wise. An example of
    the least amount of cash one might spend per medium sized window,
    disrupting only one side (in side, or out-side).

    Of course custom size, bays, casements, more panes, poly-raz-ma-taz
    gas, and copper coatings, tearing off and re-fitting exterior
    siding/trim, and interior trim and walls/paint will add cost from
    the simple example.

    The Pella is low cost, but not at all the lowest quality and few
    steps above the cheesy fly-by-night builder grade no-name things
    (that lasted 20 years ...):

    The benefits of new mid-line replacements vs older builder grade:

    are not wood (no painting!)
    open and close
    tilt in perfectly
    installed square, plumb
    actual insulation
    glass still sealed/clear (we maybe even a warranty)
    low-e glass
    can buy parts (expecting them in business a while )
    new trim/casing is fresh "crisp"
    full new/wind-proof screens
    visible glass is very good

    I watched a couple of the name brands, and home improvements go in
    in the neighborhood (seems the newer the house, the less time it
    takes before windows are needed).

    These are all put in by pros (or, crews, with a pro nearby) - got
    things in quick, neatly, in a day... but, uh, in one case, not
    many levels, shims nowhere to be found, tempered where not needed,
    some not even close to attractive, wrap covers a lot of sin.

    Having enjoyed a few projects on just three fixer-uppers, I could see
    perhaps some pros can be very good at making wrong things look right.

    And ... maybe, for $50K, it might be worth a few G (10%?) to consult
    an architect to draw up the detailed written window and finishing
    specs for bid vs what even a good sales rep thought you meant ... (they might
    also assist in evaluation of the bids, or, suggest wider/narrower,
    board that one up, what are the best windows in terms of engineering
    or value for your area, maybe bundle in that new covered porch you were planning any way ... etc.).

  • 8 years ago

    I am looking for new windows for two reasons:

    1. Worm drives are breaking on the casement cranks (easy fix so not a huge deal)

    2. Rot - some of the window sills are rotting

    I don't believe there will be any real "energy savings." Sure it will be better (double pane vs. triple pane, low-e, better spacer), but I already know the savings will be minimal.

    I'm changing out 29 windows. There are an additional 40 windows I am not changing out (69 total windows in the house). Of the 40 I'm not changing, 13 are newer (Apex Alside Insignia from the previous owner) and the other 27 aren't rotting.


  • 8 years ago

    I over simplified it Ron. Certainly wasnt trying to short change you pros. Just saying an amatuer CAN do a decent install too.

  • 8 years ago

    Got the final quote and glad I did:

    Imperial LS replacements (triple pane, full frame replacement, Super Spacer, white interior/painted exterior, all the wood work done by them). Only real change to my configuration is changing the ones with the little picture windows on top to just a big casement (my request) and changing one casement + picture + casement to an offset, bigger picture + casement (again at my request per his suggestion because it is at the sink in the kitchen and gives a much better view). So technically, we eliminated 3 windows so a total of 26 windows.


    The quote was ~$27k. In other words, I wasn't TOO insane. I just needed a little more education on the fact that "per window" didn't mean per hole. I was expecting in the beginning $1000 per window, so once I realized how windows were counted, I was expecting $29k (29 windows), but quotes were much higher. Thankfully, this one meets my expectations.


    Thanks for all the explanations and help


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Sounds good and that is a great window option in the LS.