Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkg88

kitchen facelift!

Lauren Greenfold
5 years ago
We are moving into a new home and the kitchen is about 10 years old. It is in great condition, and we aren’t ready to do a full kitchen reno, but we’d like to make a few updates that give it a facelift to make it more modern. To that end, we would love suggestions! We are considering, for example, painting the cabinets white and updating the backsplash (as the kitchen is very brown as is), but we weren’t sure if it would look sufficiently cohesive. Thanks all.

Comments (28)

• Sammie J
    5 years ago

I wouldn't paint the cabinets. A new backsplash, new lighting, and remove that corner cabinet by the peninsula as well as the pot rack.

• estyhan2
    5 years ago
    It looks beautiful like this, besides white won’t look good with the counter tops
  • Lisa McLeod
    5 years ago
    I'd antique the cabinets a creamy white, then get a simple, cream, white, with accents of black and grey backsplash. It will change the whole feel, and look great with countertops.
  • isabel98
    5 years ago

change out the backsplash and lighting, add prettier stools and call it a day. if that island can be removed i might consider getting that out of the way. it looks too small to be useful. these cabinets DO NOT need to be painted.

• Steven
    5 years ago
    Tip: when replacing the backsplash please just stop with the upper cabinets. That extension in the far left of your photo is awkward.
  • PRO
    Bourke Construction Inc.
    5 years ago

Kitchen is tradition style cabinetry. Back splash is very 1990s.

i would spray cabinets with white high gloss lacquer.

change handles to d shaped.

remove existing backsplash and install subway tile which is classic and does not go out of style,and keeps with original tradition style of kitchen.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would suggest to only paint the peninsula and walls, then update the pendant lights, and change the backsplash to one that ties it all together but not the cabinets or countertops because white cabinets would not go with those countertops, so if anything a different stain on the cabinets I would say.

• mycommenthere
    5 years ago

Love the layout of the kitchen. This is what I would do: Paint the walls, light gray or of white, Paint the upper cabinets in a white to light cream, paint the lower cabinets, inclusive of your kitchen island a couple of shades warmer than the uppers, cover the whatchamacallit's underneath the island area with this on both sides

Paint the book case to the left of the wine rack in black gloss, OR find an ornate black sidebar to attach to it (similar to the decoration underneath the island). Change ONLY the front of the wine rack to a matching cast iron cover.

Change the backsplash to bring it all together!

Either REMOVE the pot rack or replace it with a stainless steal one

Finally change out the pendent lights to a silver/gold combo to tie the whole look together.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    Honestly if it were my kitchen I’d replace from the backsplash on up (so leave counters and lower cabinets). The hood, varying height cabinets and backsplash date the kitchen. I’d also remove the pot rack. The layout, counters and lower cabinets work just fine.
  • R M
    5 years ago
    Do change backsplash and lighting. Remove the pot rack. Try to eliminate the trim on the vent hood...or replace with something up to date. The bookcase....it is fine!!!!
  • Susan Davis
    5 years ago

New paint on walls, new backsplash in subtle pattern that complements the cabinets, new SS hood, remove pot rack, and new stunning light fixtures, maybe two not six!

• lhutch13
    5 years ago
    Those are high quality cabinets and it would devalue them to paint them, as well as being a shame. Do some of the other suggestions first. I don’t think this kitchen it dated at all.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

IMO chnaging the lighting, removing the pot rack and changing the backsplash will make a big difference, I certainly would not bring more attention to the brackets. Not medallion behind the stove . If at all possible I would remove that tiny island. IMO painting the cabinets is a very expensive undertaking and only as a last resort. Keep everything simple, new stools in a color maybe.

• User
    5 years ago

I would change the backsplash, paint the cabinets, and change the lighting.

• Betsi Devine
    5 years ago

I think it's a beautiful kitchen as it is! Painting the cabinets white will cause you to need more and possibly expensive updates. Stained cabinets are just as popular as white and they go with your whole house. Maybe try living with it as is for awhile and see how you like it!

• PRO
    Urbilis
    5 years ago

Agree with most of the thread above; replace back-splash under cabinets (no extension), replace stools, remove that angled cabinet, remove the pot rack and update the lighting fixtures.

Do not paint/stain cabinets until it's time to do the full reno.

• User
    5 years ago

The best update, for me, would be for me to move in!

• Amber S
    5 years ago
    I wouldn’t touch the cabinets. Change the backsplash and the lighting and remove the island and pot rack.
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    5 years ago

It looks like all that needs to be done is to remove the backsplash, update the lighting, update the hardware on the cabinets, remove the pot rack, and perhaps then add another backsplash and add in under cabinet lighting.

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

• cm66
    5 years ago
    I wouldn’t paint the cabinets. the wood will take a knick or two without looking destroyed. Painted cabinets will show dirt and scapes more readily. a nice shade of blue for the walls or back splash would add a cheery note. maybe remove a door from one of the upper cabinets for a more open look, if you can spare the storage or have some decorative kitchen items you’d like to show off!
  • cjohnston
    5 years ago
    It's a nice kitchen. I agree with others to not paint the cabinets. I'm even ok with the backsplash. You do need new bar stools - maybe like this to tie in the dark counters and the overall old world vibe.

Pastel Hermosa Barstool - Russet Cordovan - Stallion Brown Seat - 26 Inch · More Info
  • zimmer
    5 years ago
    Update the lights (use something with a clear glass as there are lots of them) remove the pot rack and yes update the backsplash. Get lots of samples for the tile and live with them for a couple of days. Play with tile layout- herringbone, brick, running board,etc.
  • cjohnston
    5 years ago
    Consider converting the pendants to recessed lights - it just seems too busy. They are not adding to the design. There are some nice details in the hood and upper cabs that are obscured by the pendants and pot rack.
  • Rachel G
    5 years ago

I like the ideas Bourke Construction had. I think painting white would help to modernize the room. Everything is very brown and white would look much cleaner and help to create seperation between the cabinets and the floor. Right now the two just melt together because they are the same wood tone, which takes away from the beauty of the room. I think a gray or white back splash would also work wonders in making the space brighter and it would pop beautifully off those dark counter tops.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    I like the pale green on the walls. The kitchen itself is very pretty and looks good. I would not paint the cabinets, but I would consider replacing the backsplash. When you say modern, I think you just mean more current. The backsplash is the less "current" feature. You think the kitchen is too brown. I agree. Have you considered putting a rug in the kitchen? A rug will add texture and color, and will cover part of the brown. It is also nice to stand on something soft while working in the kitchen. If you don't find the smaller-than-average island very useful, you can perhaps put it on wheels and use it as a rolling cart. A rug could also be added to the left of the breakfast bar, just beyond where the barstools sit when occupied. If the plain (brown) appearance below the bkfst bar bothers you, that area could be painted to match the walls.
  • mccarthy367
    5 years ago
    Look at Picture Perfect: 50 kitchen islands. It was posted yesterday. There is a photo of a kitchen with cabinets that are darker than yours but the rest is white. White subway tiles and a white combo quartz counter top. Looks great. Don't paint your cabinets. Wood is coming back and your cabinets are beautiful.
  • Natasha P
    5 years ago

I think take a chance and paint them white. I don't think your cabinets stand out enough as is.