Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximista

Anybody has problems with a sink without an overflow?

maximista
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I had a vessel-type sink installed that has no overflow. The sink has a perforated drain. It is draining extremely slowly. I read that it may be because the sink has no overflow - air gets trapped in the line which prevents water from draining quickly. Anybody has a solution?

Comments (21)

• User
    10 years ago
    That would not do it. There is either a blockage, or it is a bad design in the perforated area.
  • PRO
    Big Mountain Builders
    10 years ago
    What you read is consistent with our experiences with installing Vessel type sinks without an overflow.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have never seen an overflow on a kitchen sink, and have never heard a complaint. It is a bad design.
  • maximista
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can I do anything about it? I cannot get another sink - it was sooo expensive.
  • Laura Winkelmann
    10 years ago
    I don't see where Maximista says this is a kitchen sink. I have never seen a vessel sink in kitchen.

Do you know if the sink vent is shared with any other fixture (commode, tub)? If it is, you might be able to get to get a little more "suction" from your drain by adding a retro-fitted in the wall vent for just this sink. These are fairly new items and are not too hard to install. You might be able to access the vent from the wall behind the cabinet. This little piece fits into a very small area and does not require a pipe to go through the roof as long as you have another exterior vented pipe on the line.

I am not sure if this would help, but it might be worth a shot if you are handy at all. Vessel sinks are beautiful. Good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Often the insides get clogged with hair quicker than one would like to admit. It is the mechanism that holds the drain stop that provides too much friction and collects hair.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Nobody said it was a kitchen sink, but if no overflow was the problem, you would see it there as well.
  • PRO
    Big Mountain Builders
    10 years ago
    I should mention we usually do install the perforated or grid type of drain or strainer with the Vessel type sinks mostly for aesthetics. These type of drain covers do tend to drastically slow the draining of the water. If you were to try a popup type of drain, it should work much better but may not be as aesthetically pleasing.
  • User
    10 years ago
    The vent is only there to keep the trap from siphoning after draining. not speed up flow.
  • User
    10 years ago
    You do not need a new sink. It is the piece that connects the sink to the trap that is the problem.
  • maximista
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Fred S - it is a new vessel sink with new plumbing and new everything else - there is no hair in it, nobody used it yet, everything else drains fine, just this one sink without an overflow, with "perforated" drain (no push up) and decorative p-trap - all deisgned for this sink. the manufacturer says they have no issues but when I googled it, people have problems. Thank you @big Mountain Builders - my plumber is going to try a push-up drain. After that, I am lost. Thank you @Dezign Studio inc - I will read through the suggestions in the thread.

See picture for the sink - it is a @Wetstyle sink. Also, see how the water stays in the sink - it drains eventualy but very slowly.
  • User
    10 years ago
    From the article linked, the first part is probably most likely because nobody likes cutting the decorative pipe.

" Some people make the mistake of pushing the bend all the way into the back of the fitting, which blocks the drain opening."

"As for compensating for the lack of an overflow, look at it this way, kitchen sinks, bar sinks, mop sinks and floor sinks all drain just fine without an overflow -- Your lavatory isn't any different."
  • nisiwills
    8 years ago

I just installed a perforated drain. The drain is open and there is an overflow vent. I'm thinking the drain itself is not efficient.

• ihop23947
    7 years ago

I know this is old, but I have to chime in. A kitchen sink has a much bigger drain opening. That's the difference. An overflow on a bathroom sink 100% absolutely helps it drain faster. I've removed plenty of sinks with no overflows for that reason and replaced them with overflow sinks - you can get vessels with them spend the money; and have normal draining sinks afterwards. Buy a vessel with an overflow or live with a slower sink.

• Andrew Moskowitz
    6 years ago

I'm dealing with this same issue on my bathroom sink. It's a small bathroom so there's a tiny sink that has no overflow. An overflow would absolutely help with drainage speed because of trapped air. I'm able to temporarily solve the problem by taking a normal drinking straw and putting it an inch or two into the drain with the other end sticking out of the water. Try putting a straw in to improve airflow and you'll see the same results.

• Juli Walker
    6 years ago

While a perforated drain will introduce added friction by significantly reducing the cross sectional area of the drain and slow the drainage, Fred S is correct when he says the issue of overflow or no overflow isn't the issue and has no significant affect upon drainage speed, Initially, the displaced air between the drain and the "P" trap needs to escape. It will exit through the overflow if one is available, or through the dishwasher drain if it is installed under a kitchen sink prior to the "P" trap...but, provided the "P" trap is reasonably close to the drain, this effect is temporary and would only slow the initial drainage...with a push-up drain it should be barely noticeable.

• Genny Siddall
    6 years ago

all open grid drains are not created equally, a standard open grid drain is flat. If you buy one with a small rise/bump in the center of the overflow drain this actually creates a vortex effect and the sink will drain more quickly. The science is interesting , but in a nut shell this is the best solution to a slow draining sink with open grid drain other than of course if there is a blockage .

• siegeelcerrito
    5 years ago

Fine Homebuilding has a short piece on-line about doing what looks like an easy retrofit to add an overfill drain. It shows the addition of a dishwasher tail-piece and clamped vinyl tubing above the J-trap. You can google it.

• cambella
    4 years ago

I heard that putting pin holes into the pipe (in a downward facing angle) under the sink above the P trap really helps - has anyone tried this? [It means you don't need to do any plumbing or change the plug or u-bend; you are simply letting air escape from the pipes when water comes in]. Am keen to try it on my own vessel basin but wanted to know if anyone had had any success - apparently 2 pin holes does the trick! (it said on another thread in this forum).