Software
Houzz Logo Print
erinella814

Entryway ideas please

8 years ago
We have a long, narrow entryway that is basically a blank slate. Just looking for some ideas for paint, design, decor, furnishings, you name it. We’ve lived here a year and I can’t decide. I was contemplating some thicker white board and batten with a soft gray paint at the top. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Comments (9)

  • 8 years ago

    First you need to decide how the hallway will function. Is it your mainly used entryway? Do you need storage? For shoes, purses, coats, mail etc? That will drive the design in terms of what needs to be in the space. Secondly, you need to map out the dimensions. Then pick out pieces that will serve your storage needs. THEN pick paint, stylings etc. If this is an entry used for guests primarily...then that will drive your design in a different direction.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    That’s a nice spot. I’d remove the small chest and put a longish bench (with an under shelf for shoes) on the left hand wall. Like maybe 5 feet long. Place it closer to where the small chest is now, rather than closer to the front door, so there’s plenty of room for milling around.

    Then I’d find a brightly colored large print to hang. I understand the need for a mirror, but you need some color.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback! We already have a mudroom attached to our garage so it’s more of an entryway for guests (although it looks like a shoe dump zone right now!). I love the idea of bringing in color. There is a coat closet nearby so no need for hooks, just something warm and welcoming I guess. I’d like a long bench (or church pew perhaps).
  • 8 years ago
    I would put a full length mirror (or 3- you can diy upgrade those $5 Walmart mirrors) on the short wall to the left of the front door. Kids love mirrors for practicing their moves. Then a long bench on the long wall, maybe a church pew if you're into that style. Make it a focal point when you're looking in from the adjoining room, with art above it. Then to the left of the pew you can put some mail sorting slots or shoe rack (Ikea has great ones) or coat hooks if needed.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Ideas for you:

    1. Wallpaper the long wall - it looks like your dining room is just off the entry, so you'll be able to enjoy the paper in that room too. I like your soft colors, so I chose a subtle, quiet paper from Anna French:

    2. I don't know your dimensions, so I'm not sure my suggestion is a good fit, but a chest just inside the front door would be a welcome "drop zone". I like this one because it repeats the soft curves in the wallpaper:

    Perhaps in this finish:

    Place your round mirror above this and keep the top of the chest simple - a tray for mail and a floral arrangement, perhaps.

    3. You can add a lot of personality with a new overhead light. I like this one and it looks like you have clearance for it but check dimensions and placement to make sure it clears heads and the door:)

    4. It looks like this is your shoe graveyard...my family has one too. Give people a place to sit while they remove shoes. Consider benches with trays or baskets underneath:

    5. I think the wall where your mirror and chest currently reside might be a nice spot for art, perhaps lit with a picture lamp like this:

  • 8 years ago
    These are fantastic ideas, thank you!!! I knew I came to the right place :)
  • 8 years ago

    I know this doesn't help much but I am currently working on my masters and for our group project we are surveying interior paint consumers on their opinions on a new product idea! Our new product idea is an app that aids customers in picking the perfect paint colors through communication with an expert, upload photos of the desired room and current home theme, see current trends, DIY videos, and more... We would love it if you took our survey! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/5RDYSTW

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It looks like you could use a console table by the door on the small wall:

    La Canada Blvd Residence · More Info
    Then a little farther down on the long wall you should do a bench and some shoe storage:
    Upscale Family Home · More Info



    Upscale Family Home · More Info