Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_81659413133

Bermuda Sodd needs help

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I had bermuda hybrid sodd installed about a month and a half ago. Once the roots were established, I cut back to only watering every other day. The first time I mowed my lawn I noticed a couple of grey spots in the grass, after about a week the grey spots started dying. The grass around it is still green but im having problems with 3 spots that turn grey then die. I am mowing at 3 inch height and can't seem to find the problem. Any suggestions?


Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago


  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago

    Where are you? Watering every other day might be too much if you've been getting a lot of rain. I'm really not sure how much you should be watering with new sod.

    As far as the dead spots, it could be fungus. Are there lesions on the blade? If your grass is rooted, you need to put down some nitrogen. If it's a fungus, you'll need to apply fungicide. If it's not, the nitrogen will help it fill in.

  • 8 years ago

    I live in West Texas, we are currently in a drought and it’s been around 105 the past 6 days. I don’t notice any lesions on the blade. I will spread some nitrogen hopefully it will help. Do you think putting out fungicide would hurt anything. I may throw it out as well as a precaution. Thanks you

  • 8 years ago

    Applying fungicide is not going to hurt. With temps like that, I would be shocked if it's fungicide. Make sure you look at fungicide labels to make sure it can be applied in that heat. You definitely have to water in the nitrogen or it will burn your grass.

  • 8 years ago

    West Texas only means something to West Texans. You're going to have to be much more specific than that.

    Applying fungicide now WILL hurt. There is no fungicide that is recommended at temps of 105.

    It cannot help that you are growing bermuda in the shade of a fence and wall. Those locations are better suited to a shade tolerant turf like some of the zoysias or St Augustine. I think most people would install a bed of flowers or shrubs along the fence and wall. Bermuda needs at least 6 hours of direct sunlight. If you are in the Lubbock area I can suggest a plant research company for a shade tolerant grass. They used to sell a zoysia they called Shadow Turf. Now that they don't they might be willing to share if someone else also has a shade tolerant turf. If you are 300 miles away and still in West Texas, then that might not be practical.

  • 8 years ago

    I live in El Paso and this is the EXACT same thing that happened to us! We were watering every day for the 1st two weeks as directed. Only thing is we watered at night and this grey fungus developed. Be careful, ours spread all over! We've been applying Immunox at 6am to combat it and it seems to be working.

  • 8 years ago

    Checking in to see if you had an update regarding your lawn? dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio) gave me some great advice. I am watering deeply once every 5 days and we haven't had a occurrence. Also, the grass is coming back in, nicely.

  • 8 years ago

    I wanted the dead spots everyday and they eventually started filling back in.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow! It’s almost back to normal! I’m sure you’re relieved.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations