Software
Houzz Logo Print
erusling

Help me choose my kitchen floor

8 years ago

We are renovating a 1920 craftsman kitchen with a black, white and brass palette. These are the fixtures and choices going in but I can’t decide on the floor. I’m deciding between the hex tile in photo one or the large black and white in the top right of photo 2. Can I get some opinions/pros and cons?



Comments (16)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    i find the two smaller mosaics look bathroomy to me. (i went with a larger checkerboard.)

  • 8 years ago

    The hex/penny tile is SUPER small and SUPER BUSY (imagine cleaning all those grout lines...toothbrush + hands and knees all the way). I would accept this pattern in a SMALL bathroom (5ft x 6ft). After that my head would start to hurt.

    The larger the area, the larger the pattern is allowed to be. Even the larger black/white geometric tile could be overwhelming in a space that is too big. Both are stunning options....but they are sized for bathrooms rather than a kitchen (unless you have a tiny kitchen like 6x8)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
  • 8 years ago
    On the hex...better hope to have an awesome cleaning person...:I would hate the miles of grout in a kitchen. Also way too busy for that large a space IMO.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Pros - You will have a very unique kitchen if you use either of those tiles, your kitchen COULD look amazing

    Cons - Very difficult to clean, floor might look dingy against white cabinets, very busy looking, hard to style other items with the floor and maintain a craftsman look, very likely will come out looking more like a bathroom than a kitchen.

    erusling thanked ilikefriday
  • 8 years ago
    I'm going to be the outlier and vote for the tiny hexies. I think it would look great with the other fixtures/decor, really cool for a 1920s home! It might be a huge PITA to clean, but, aesthetically, I love it. I'm not a pro, though! :)
  • 8 years ago

    I appreciate it sparkling clean in a small bathroom. I've never seen anyone tile a kitchen in tiles as small as that. I don't think it makes sense functionally, since grout cleaning and resealing is actually so not-fun to do that there are companies you can pay every 6 months or so to do it for you. I think most people would be happier in today's busier lifestyles on-the-go to have as little grout as possible. Tiles are designed to allow very thin grout lines these days.


  • 8 years ago

    Thanks all! The larger pattern is cement tile 8x8. After looking at old 1920’s kitchen photos and seeing all the old patterned floors, I thought we might go in a more adventurous direction. It’s a rather small rectangle kitchen 16x10 feet.

  • 8 years ago

    16 x 10 is a good size... island or no island? you need to count up and appreciate how many repeats there will be across the largest open area.



  • PRO
    8 years ago

    That tiny tile would make me dizzy it is way too busy IMO and for crying out loud lose those edison bulbs they are so done and who wants everything in a nice white kitchen to look yellow.

  • 8 years ago

    If the larger one is 8x8, I'd go with that for sure! Definitely plan out exact placement.

  • 8 years ago

    No way on the pennies. My 1920s apartment had them in the 4x7 bathroom, and that was more than enough. They will be overwhelmingly busy in a 16x10 kitchen.

    erusling thanked biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
  • 8 years ago

    Patricia, I’m actually not planning on Edison bulbs but like the round globe sconces as they are in line with 1920 kitchens. But since you so openly gave me your opinion, I’ll give you mine as well. Your delivery of your opinion could use some refinement as a “professional.” If you were my designer I’d be moving on.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I love the look you are going for! I agree that the smaller hex may be a little too busy in a kitchen. I would choose the larger scale pattern. One thing to be aware of (you may already have thought of this) is that a black and white floor shows everything in terms of dirt. What the black hides, the white shows and vice versa. We had the large pattern black and white floor before and I loved the look but it nearly drove me mad trying to keep it clean-looking.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Forget trying to do a historic reproduction of a 1920's kitchen. Just make your new kitchen compatible with your house. Personally, I'd put in site-finished hardwood floors to match the rest of the house.