Software
Houzz Logo Print
lovedoc

central turret curb appeal

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello,

We are seriously considering buying this house, but I'm looking for some ideas on how to improve the curb appeal from the front. The central turret, the color of the bricks, the front facade to me feels a bit cold and uninviting. I've always dreamed of a house with a big front porch. I'm looking for advice on whether a porch addition would work well with this house and that big turret. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!


Comments (40)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I don't see a large front porch working on this house. About all I see is a small awning over the front door. You could lighten the trim and trim back or redo some of the landscaping.

    Monica thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hi, Monica--

    Clarifying question here: it looks like the masses on either side of the central turret aren't flush to each other based on the rooflines in view. Can you share a perspective that shows how the rooflines are navigated around/behind the turret? Can't recommend removing the turret without knowing more, as it's an expensive alteration to consider. It's not clear from the low angle that's been shared here.

    A turret is an interesting feature, but it was definitely incorporated here without the charm of a welcoming front porch in mind. Usually they're found at either extreme end of a property where a porch is involved, but when placed centrally a porch is not part of the equation.

    Monica thanked Fairway Style Living
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    A beautiful Front Courtyard is all that is needed.

    Monica thanked njmomma
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for your comments.

    Fairway Style Living, you are correct, when looking at the house, the side to the left of the turret is set back a foot or two relative to the right. Unfortunately I don't have any more photos at this time but I will be sure to take some next time I am there.

    Kevin Strader, I like the idea of an awning and I was also considering adding some shutters.

    I was thinking that a porch might be possible if it were large enough, but I'm no expert and haven't consulted with anyone else, sounds like it's a no go.

    Njmomma, what type of courtyard did you have in mind? There is a good amount of space in front of the house so that might be a possibility.

  • 8 years ago

    Sophie Wheeler, can you please elaborate? Why do you think it's a drawback. I don't like it personally, but would love to hear more on your opinion.

  • 8 years ago

    It’s just a symptom of the bad architecture as a whole. But it’s the most prominent. And it’s really poorly done and ugly.


    http://mcmansionhell.com/post/148605513816/mcmansions-101-what-makes-a-mcmansion-bad#=


    Monica thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    I had in mind something like this. No?

  • 8 years ago

    oh geez, thank you Sophie Wheeler. I certainly don't want to buy a poorly designed mcmansion. this house seems to break a lot of the basic design principles :-(

  • 8 years ago

    What is drawing you to this house?



  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    A friend of mine had a house with a turret (they've since moved). It was a pain for her to furnish the turret on three floors - finding window benches that curve around are custom-made and expensive, or you put a single arm chair there. Where do you place the floor lamp. Vacuuming there means having to use always the vacuum's attachment for the curved edges. And then you need special window treatments to fit. And no one would sit in that space anyway since it feels separate from the rest of the living space. So you are paying for that turret square footage, paying to furnish it, and to heat and air condition it, and it doesn't really get used.

    The photo of the white house you posted doesn't have a real turret like the one in your OP. The white house has a broad bay window on the ground floor, and the second floor turret is on the exterior only. You'd have to rip out your current turret to achieve that.

  • 8 years ago
    Tex bixby it is the location and the lot size primarily
  • 8 years ago
    Friedajune, thank you for the great insight. I’ve never really liked the look of turrets but you make some great points about their impracticality
  • 8 years ago
    Do you all prefer the house with the turret or this one? My husband likes turret house, I like the one pictured here
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I like the one you like, the Dutch Colonial.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You can't get there from here. Buy another house. Turrets belong only on castles on Victorian homes. Otherwise they look foolish.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    A proper porch is not going to happen with this
    You could definitely make it look a lot better however. I am thinking more French however with soft blue shutters perhaps or iron planter boxes and a lovely circular courtyard/planting bed around the front with small seating area on one side and more emphasis on the steps leading up to it...I will look for some photos :)
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Historic Transformation / Morgante Wilson Architects

    Historic Transformation / Morgante Wilson Architects

    Buckhead / Kemp Hall Studio

    New Home Exteriors / Construction Innovations & Contracting

    Our Work / Edward A. Anderson Company

    New House - Monkton, MD / Peter Zimmerman Architects
    - [ ]
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Historic Transformation · More Info
  • PRO
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    New House - Monkton, MD · More Info
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Which one is “better” to me is more about whether it works for you and your family and that goes beyond curb appeal and goes to location, interior layout, yard (if you want one)., etc. Whether that is the turret house or the Dutch Colonial only you and your family - knowing your priorities, lifestyle, community, etc, can decide.

    You are going to be spending more time INSIDE the house than standing on the lawn gazing at it. I don’t *love* the turret - mostly just due to its location front & centre as if it was odd to side as a viewing/sitting area it would make more sense to me - but if the house ticked all my other boxes it would not be a dealbreaker either. I am sure a family - even if not yours - can make a lovely comfortable and happy home in it, “wart” and all.

  • PRO
  • 8 years ago
    Other than the turrets, those homes are nothing like the OP'S.....???
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It's nice to say that the OP should only be concerned with whether the home works for the family, and that is true. However, stats indicate that families move on average every13 years and it's important that the exterior of the home appeal to buyers.

    You might find a great house that's built next to the railroad tracks, but it's not a house to purchase because you already know that you'll have no choice but to drop the price to get it to sell, if it sells at all.

  • 8 years ago
    It's not a turret but I agree it's the lead up to it that is needed, something similar to pic. I think it's quirky and with the right landscaping could look spectacular
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I am not sure I would agree that comparing a cosmetic detail to living by railroad tracks is reasonable.

    There is a reason I mentioned factors such as *location* can trump curb appeal, the latter which is subjective as the turret here is a cosmetic detail that despite the comments here I am sure many would love or take no issue with....like OPs *own husband* who prefers this house. There are two new houses going up in a high end view lot development near me ($1.5-2+ million dollar houses) that prove many people still actually like turrets - both architect designed by the way. The other has added noise, potentially higher insurance costs (because higher risk location), and actual risks due to derailment, etc. I say this as someone who DID live near railroad tracks (and yes, there was a buyer for house and no price drop necessary).

    And what do you mean “no choice to drop price?” From what price? From what they wanted to list at despite the market not supporting that price? From what they paid for it “13 years prior”? Why didn’t their future realtor list it at a reasonable price accounting for location to rail road tracks in the first place? If they are near railroad tracks they are likely buying at a discounted price in first place so that is factored in down the road. It is never a guarantee that real estate will increase in value in first place, whether a turret or not, or train tracks or not. And people who sell their private homes more frequently, unless they get “lucky” in a hot sellers market, will likely never “profit” once commissions, closing costs, maintenance, repairs, interest (and PMI where applicable) etc are factored in anyway. Did the house work for the family for the “13 years” they lived in it? Then there is value to that.

    And in some locations curb appeal is barely a consideration at all, where you see bidding wars for 30% over million dollar listings for what is practically a tear down shack, OPs turret house would be considered a prize.

  • 8 years ago
    I love! turret houses. I agree with the above comments that new landscaping and a fantastic paver walkway/courtyard would approve your curb appeal immense. I also like the light blue shutters someone posted
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    This angle shows the front door treatment better. So pretty!


    New House - Monkton, MD · More Info
  • 8 years ago
    Good landscaping will be a big help with curb appeal. What is in the yard now is not well-planned. A combination of ground covers, shrubs, flowers and a tree offer varied heights and interest. The house looks great to me.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Mimy von Schreiner - can you please stop posting those URLs, and post the actual photos? It's not hard. Here's how to do it. Copy the URL of the Houzz photo, then, in your post, click on "Houzz Photo" at the bottom, then click on the tab that says "Houzz URL", paste.

    Here's one of your links. And I agree with Hummingalong2; unfortunately it is nothing like the OP's prospective home.

    New House - Monkton, MD · More Info

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Frieda? The first time I tried to post all the photos in one comment and it didn’t post properly and on my iPad, i don’t seem to be able to delete my post otherwise I would have gladly done it as I know it didn’t post properly :)
    All the other photos I posted are actual photos and show up as same in my feed. Perhaps not showing up correctly in yours?
    I am appreciative of any iPad tips someone might have and I will gladly delete the ONE post that didn’t show any photos.
    Mostly I was just trying to be helpful as I think the turret house curb appeal has potential :)
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What if you paint the home like this two tone white home and add the white awnings? Then it turns into a sculpture.

    Which way does the house face? Would awnings on the windows change the appearance for the better?

  • 8 years ago

    Mimy von Schreiner /John R. Wood Properties

    None of your posts are showing photos. Whether I am on my iPad, iPhone, or desktop. Unfortunately I am not sure why it is not working for you, but on each post the only way I can see the photo is by clicking the "More Info" link.

  • 8 years ago

    ^^ Me too

  • 8 years ago

    Mimy- you might want to try rebooting your ipad. Once you do that try posting a photo again to see if that helped. When houzz did their last big up-date last Dec. it caused multiple issues on each device and sometimes what was "working" is not at the moment. Houzz is still working their way through them. There are a few of us each on a different device that are reporting to houzz any glitches or issues that we encounter along with any that we come across on threads by other users Lately, others have had the same photo issue and either rebooting or reinstalling the houzz app seems to have helped. So you might give it a try and then we can go from there.


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Thanks all for the heads up and the tips. Certainly don't want to hijack the thread with my technical difficulties! LOL
    Hoping they help someone else however.....
  • 8 years ago
    Just FYI Mimy, I am seeing all your pics without having to do anything on my iPad so working fine to me.
  • 8 years ago

    For me it’s not just the turret, but the overall design of the front is kind of wonky and limits curb appeal.

  • 8 years ago
    Mimy I am also able to see all your photos, thank you for taking the time to post them