Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21884067

'Bathsheba'... the new 'Devoniensis'...

8 years ago

It is said that Austin doesn't do Tea roses, and some breeders here do have a snooty attitude towards them, relics of a bygone age no one needs any more... this one I think reminds me of the famous Tea, not so much the foliage, but I do love these buds and blooms... the scent of freshly mown grass.

I planted this to replace a young 'Devoniensis' which had too many large thorns for my taste, in this position, and this one has few to speak of, and is safer for me...









Comments (37)

  • 8 years ago

    It's beautiful. How big is it ? The colour is amazing Bec over here it is so pale colour if I remember correctly. Your roses always have the greatest colours or actual true beauty as mine over here can be so bleach by the sun.

    It's is absolutely gorgeous ;)

    Jin


  • 8 years ago

    It's about 5.5 feet Jin, intends to be a climber, so I'm ready for about 10 feet in time.. thanks... I'm glad you're still here...

  • 8 years ago

    I will be around. I will be writing an email today to Houzz. I still cannot post. My phone is only 2 years old although I bought 3 phones latest tech.

    Wow that is big already. I can't wait for another 5 feet more :)

    Jin

    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    On my screen this shows as a pure deep yellow. I had always thought this was a white rose or at most a pale yellow. Yours is stunning. I don't know how you do it, Marlorena, I never see a sign of disease or insect damage. I believe you have a charmed garden where nothing bad is ever allowed to happen.

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Ingrid, the colour does seem to vary, it often has a strong apricot centre..

    My garden has its share of problems but I always think that's not what people want to see, but maybe I'll show those too.... as at the moment there won't be too many looking at them...

  • 8 years ago

    Lord, it is beautiful. Mine has bloomed yet, but I think I am getting a second one

    User thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    It's nice to find a hardy alternative that has the Tea rose characteristics, very elegant rose!

    User thanked Krista_5NY
  • 8 years ago

    Marlorena,

    Every one of your photos of Bathsheba is beautiful. What does the bloom look like when fully open, with the boss showing? Can you post a photo of it in that stage?

    Moses


    User thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you Moses, I'm glad you liked it too... I hope to add a photo tomorrow when they are fully open, these are the first of the season on this rose.. I could post last year's but I like to post fresh ones..

  • 8 years ago

    Oh dear, I misunderstood, that is not Devoniensis. I can't even keep track of Austin's new roses, but I do see the tea rose influence in this one. I'm looking at it again, and it's drop-dead gorgeous.

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What a beautiful rose! I can only imagine the size it would grow to in So CA, though. I’m looking forward to seeing more pictures. Lisa

    User thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    I had no idea that some have such an attitude toward teas. I think they are beautiful but unfortunately I cannot grow most in my climate. I am excited about this rose. Mine is resting, with most others, during this prolonged heat spell. Please share more pictures as you’re able!

    User thanked Dave5bWY
  • 8 years ago

    Very beautiful!

    User thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • 8 years ago

    My Bathsheba is a little paler , maybe it's our heat ? I think it's a stunning rose . It smells like sweet honey , and is just so beautiful. I planted 60 plus new roses this spring, and this one really stands out to me. I'm waiting for buds to open, I counted almost 40 on a 2 .5ft tall plant !

    User thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 8 years ago

    Great Bathsheba photos, Marlorena and Lilyfinch. Looks so perfectly healthy.

    Here's mine at the moment:

    I have it in a pot since last year but I need to plant it out in full ground. It is very susceptible to powdery mildew when grown in a pot.


    User thanked Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
  • 8 years ago

    What a beauty!

    Most any rose is going to have much better richer color in the UK or Sweden than in summer in SoCal. All that sunshine comes with a price. Best color in SoCal in November/December.

    User thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • 8 years ago

    Lovely photos. I have never seen Bathsheba look like Malorena's photos. More like Lilyfinch's. It is so great that this rose has so many different faces as it opens.

    User thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Marlorena, Lily and Henrik, beautiful blooms and pics sings a thousand words. The colour lovely. Lily, you have a few tones and I love it.

    Marlorena is very deep rich colour which I love also.

    It is a beautiful rose and looks different in various climates. I agree with Hoovb :)

    Jin

    User thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    Hi Marlorena, any more beautiful photos of Bathsheba this year? How large is yours now? Lilyfinch, nice pics! I love how about every color in the apricot spectrum is represented in this rose. It really ties other roses together. Here is one pic I can share showing that that tea form as well in the opening bud and the progression of color change.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Dave , your photo looks gorgeous!!

    I adore this rose!

  • 8 years ago

    Lovely rose. Thank you all for posting the photos. I will have to make room for this one.

  • 7 years ago

    This is a great thread with some beautiful photos. I'm bumping it up for those who just got Bathsheba this spring. I'm waiting for mine to bloom!

    ~Sjn

  • 7 years ago

    Waiting to receive mine!

  • 7 years ago

    I've just realised I didn't answer Dave from last July and that more photos got added... all very lovely..

    Mine is climbing my shed, so this is what it looks like today.. it's reached the top and I will be training it more horizontally in a short while... only rose obsessives could appreciate these pictures, but I think I'm pretty safe with that..


  • 7 years ago

    From every photo I've seen here Bathsheba is a gorgeous rose. Marlorena, yours has apparently grown quite a bit. After this appetizer, you are of course expected to present the main course - when Bathsheba is full of blooms.

  • 7 years ago

    I’m still hungry - haha! Thanks for the update, Marlorena. Bathsheba is looking good! I can only imagine how good it’s going to look in full bloom.

  • 7 years ago

    Does anyone who has Bathsheba also have Crown Princess Margareta? Are they similar? How are they different? Just curious lol.

  • 7 years ago

    For me, CPM has always been a uniform sorbet orange (in afternoon shade, color variation only seen in the very late, cool fall) while Bathsheba last year was a conglomeration of yellow, orange, peach, apricot with some paling to cream and pink. Bloom form is a bit different and they have different fragrances.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you Dave, thats the kind of info I was looking for. I have 2 CPMs they are big climbers. The first year I had them, they were very pale washed out buff orange. A year later they became light orange sherbert colored but not usually ever a deep orange. They dont normally ever get pinkish tones so the Bathsheba, will hopefully be different enough. My CPMs arent great bloomers either but very healthy. I hope Bathsheba is a better repeater with blooms.

  • 7 years ago

    Look what you guys did to me. Now I have to grow this rose. I love tea roses still and I like varieties in a garden. The only thing with teas is that they are formal and stands out in a crowd so not easy to assimilate into a informal garden.


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    jjpeace… it's not a Tea rose, it's an Austin... I was just comparing its beauty to a Tea rose.. I expect it will be good for you in zone 5b... most Austins are I think..?..


  • 7 years ago

    Sorry if I was not clear. I meant the tea rose shaped flowers. After reading many posts from fellow gardeners, I get the impression that not many people prefer them anymore. I still think they are the perfect rose form.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh my, another incredible photo, Marlorena. I console myself about not having this rose by its most likely turning a pale yellow in my garden and not looking anything like yours. So glad you get to enjoy it though; what a stunning addition to your garden.

  • 7 years ago

    I am going to throw this Crown Princess M. photo in here from today, just as a reference to see the contrasts. It does look quite different. My Bathsheba has tiny buds starting!



  • 7 years ago

    Oooh, what a beauty! Now I’m adding another to the list...I may have to start guerilla planting in my neighbors yards, lol! :-)

  • 6 years ago

    There you are Marlorena, you have that glowing color again! I saw this color on you Chandos Beauty too Most other peoples Bathsheba dont have that shade, at least in these pictures. Beautiful rose for you. Think I am going to get this one too!

    User thanked katyajini
0