Software
Houzz Logo Print
rhonda_mcdavid

Painted brick color suggestions HELP!

8 years ago
I’m painting my yucky orange brick Georgian colonial style home SW Greek Villa (a warm white). What color should dentil moulding trim, gutters, garage door (double sized), front door, and rear attached deck and screen porch be? Black seems harsh. Should any brick remain exposed? All white everything? HELP!

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Depends on what you are doing with the windows don't you think?

    Greek Villa White

    Ballet White
    Oyster White


  • 8 years ago
    Windows are wood and will be painted so that’s part of the question. Should there be another trim color or do all white? I don’t like the look of white interior plantation shutters showing thru dark mullions, so if there is another trim color should it be a light gray?
  • 8 years ago

    What color are the mullions? Mullions painted black look nice and have some sort of light advantage which escapes me now. The fun part is with the front door, paint any color you like.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I’m sure they weren’t inexpensive, but, I’d remove the plantation shutters to get the best look. If you go that route, drive around and find similar windows so you can see what kinds of window treatments (probably curtains lined the same) look best from the street. FWIW, I have custom 2” wood blinds layered behind curtains on my windows but I’m sick of dusting the blinds so I’m thinking of replacing them with either sheers or woven wood shades. And I’ve had the blinds for almost 25 years, so, I don’t feel guilty about replacing them. They’ve served me well but it’s time for a change! ;)

  • 8 years ago

    I love our plantation shutters but agree your dark mullions are throwing things off a bit. Seems your best bet is to have mullions the same color as the shutters. I know the expense of shutters...am guessing you do, too!

  • 8 years ago
    The windows and mullions are wood so they can be painted any color. The question is: Do I go all white on brick, window trim, gutters, etc and do a color on the front door? Or what color would work for windows trim? Thinking light gray if not white.
  • 8 years ago

    What color is your roof? I can't tell if it's shades of brown or a dark gray.

    I like the taupe colored trim on Beverly's last pic, which is the house painted Oyster White.

  • 8 years ago
    Roof color is Weathered Wood, it’s a dimensional gray/taupe
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Wouldn't paint brick -- results in maintenance issues you really don't want. Anything painted will, inevitably, need to be repainted and can begin to look really awful as it gets that way.

    Far better to lighten the vibe of the home and create other focal points. Consult an architect that can show you a visual image of potential changes to the exterior.

    Ask the architect to show you what the home would look like if you:

    … remove any shutters and/or change or remove other features;

    … add more trim all around all the windows -- except only the sides and bottom of the windows with the arch above.

    … paint the fascia and window trim white;

    ... paint your front door your favorite bright cheerful bold color.

    Unless underground utilities prevent your doing so, add at least a couple of trees to your front yard.

    If all other options fail to suit you, ask a pro about staining the brick rather than painting it.

  • 8 years ago

    I see no upside to painting brick. You lose a HUGE sale-ability factor creating a maintenance situation where none was before. I would ask a Realtor, it also should greatly reduce the value of your home. The original expense is tied to the LOW MAINTENANCE of brick. A more logical thing to do, upgrade your windows to vinyl and choose a different color. Maintenance free is the way to be!!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    IMO if you want to lower the value of that house just paint the brick, Some new landscaping would be a better investment along with a front door with more glass and if those grids are removeable get them out of the windows.

  • 8 years ago
    Rhonda, you mention yucky orange brick. Have you researched or called a pro to ask about brick stains or dye instead of paint?