0

24" tall red and white dahlia

dowlinggram

Last year I bought a couple of dahlia bulbs. I had never grown dahlias from tubers. I have grown them from seed to be used as an annual. Well they grew beautifully. I was impressed by the red and white color combination and size of bloom on a 24 " plant. Unfortunately there wasn't much info on the package so I don't know the variety.

Well I decided to try my hand at saving the tubers. I dug them up and then was stumped as what to do with them. I laid them out on newspaper in the basement to dry the soil thinking it would fall off when dry some did and some soil remained. I didn't know how to separate the tubers from the stem and which tubers would be viable so I left them all together and stuck each plant in separate brown paper bags, put the bags in a box and stored them in the basement.

This spring I checked them and both had sprouted so I planted them as is. I think I'm going to have 2 large dahlia bushes by the way they are growing.

I'd really like to know the proper way of storing dahlias and how to tell which tubers are viable and which not to bother saving