Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

No blooms on waterlily?

catherinet
5 years ago

I have a waterlily in a 300 gallon stock tank. I've been fertilizing it properly with pond tabs. It's put out a lot of leaves, but no sign of blossoms. Does that happen when there's not enough sun? Seems like it wouldn't be so prolific with the leaves, if there weren't enough sun. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

That's usually what happens, or smaller flowers and smaller leaves.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks tropicbreeze. There's tons of very large leaves....which is strange. I'll keep fertilizing it and hoping for some blossoms..........

• tropicbreezent
    5 years ago

Just a thought, maybe too much nitrogen in the fertiliser.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah, that was what I was starting to wonder about. I really blasted it with Pond tabs, but I think I'll slow down a little. I'm trying to remember if this one even made any blooms last year. It was one of the cheap "drop and grow" lilies. Sometimes I have good luck with them, and sometimes not. Thanks!

• dancingcook
    5 years ago

I think it probably needs more sunlight. My water lily only flowered occasionally. Then the tree fell down in the storm in March. Now the pond is in full sun. The lily has flowered frequently ever since! Two or even three buds at a time! Not recommending taking down the tree, as I miss mine very much and don’t like the lack of shade there, and actually want to plant another tree, though my neighbor has asked me not to because my tree fell on her house! But the pond and the lily are thriving in the sunshine.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks dancingcook. I think you're right. When I set these stock tank ponds up, they were well away from trees..... But of course the trees have really grown. 2 of them are ash trees and it seems we are losing lots of ash around here (from the emerald ash borer). Every year they are looking worse and worse, so I'm thinking, eventually, I'll have the sun back on these stock tanks water gardens......I just have to be patient.

Sorry about your tree falling down (on your neighbor's house!). I love trees and am sad to lose any of them. We had a beautiful big oak close to the house that got struck by lightning several years ago and died. :( I'm glad your lilies are blooming now!

• hydrangeahead Central WI 4b
    5 years ago

Gorgeous!!!! Thanks for updating with the pic!!!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks hydrangeahead. I'm thinking of moving this big stock tank water garden to a place more in the sun next year. But I'll miss it where it is now, which is right outside my window. But the lilies will definitely like more sun.

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago

It looks like Hollandia.

• marilyn_c
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Also remove some of the duckweed so it can get more sun.