Software
Houzz Logo Print
nil013

CSSA Show and Sale 2018

The show starts tomorrow but here's a preview from the back of a truck. Lol


Comments (32)

  • 8 years ago

    I think there may be one or two nice plants in that truck. Rotfl

  • 8 years ago

    Haha, one or two :)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yeah Rina, I sort of wanted to just jump in the cab and drive off like it was a Brinks bank heist.

  • 8 years ago

    Second post, pic one, has a group of nice looking Eulophia. Mine seem to always get sunburned or too much rain every spring when I put them outside.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    That's Steven Duey's booth. (Gavilan Mountain Succulents) His booth is like the Running of the Brides at Chicago's Filene's Basement except with succulents. That picture was taken at 10:10am (10am opening) and notice it is half empty. I made sure to grab what I wanted and set it aside before taking the pic.

  • 8 years ago

    Poly, I have some Eulophias and they look great when I water them but I tend to keep them in too much shade and can't get them to bloom. Lol so I think I have the opposite problem. What is your container medium?

  • 8 years ago

    Currently, my container medium is sandy loam with perlite and grit and some other stuff I probably can't remember. I use collected rain water. Maybe I should post a pic of a hand full of the mix when I have daylight. Due to my watering habits, or lack of, I over potted my Eulophias. The mix stays moist longer though I'm not sure if they've liked that a lot. They haven't grown worse. I keep an eye on them during rainy weather to be sure they don't get too wet but like a lot of orchids they seem to dislike cold water on their leaves for days. Actually, I've been thinking of repotting my Eulophias in to a different mix but not sure what.

    I suspect the E. petersii we have circulating in north America isn't as sun loving as the Internet says. My other cacti and succulents seem much more tolerant of being moved outside in to brighter light than my Eulophias.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Oh I think they can take more sun than you think. I give mine sun and heat that wilts other plants but is still partial sun . Mine have all come in something like 9 pumice : 1 peat. And that's with our med climate.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Nil, I didn't get there until about 1pm. The freeway was jammed the entire 210 from Claremont and the 15 through Corona was the same. Luckily there were still a lot of nice plants left. It was hot but probably not as crowded as earlier.

    Poly, I keep my Eulophias in partial shade. Last year I got a 5' flower spike on my big clump. Mine have gotten sunburned when I have given them too much sun. I use the same mix for them as all my other succulents and they do fine.

  • 8 years ago

    How I wish I could go to this show!

    2nd post first pic, what is the big branched leafless plant on the right? And is that a Dorstenia gigas behind it on the right?

    I am so jealous :-)

  • 8 years ago

    Want.


  • 8 years ago

    O.k. Pagan, since you claimed it first, you can have that one and I'll take the rest :-)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    SLD, that leafless plant is a Tylecodon walitchii. I picked up a smaller one from that table.

    Pagan, one of the local growers took a look in the back of the truck and said, "well I guess there's no point to bringing my Ariocarpus now."

  • 8 years ago

    I hate this. Makes mine look like #@$##. I guess living in zone 6 makes all the difference. Like Polypompholyx and SLD, we have to make out what we can.

    Thanks Nil for teasing me.

  • 8 years ago

    The San Gabriel Valley shows always have a Large number of very mature Ariocarpus plants. It is hard to pick favorites at these shows.

  • 8 years ago

    You'll have to excuse the crappy cell phone pics. The lighting is always atrocious.


    For as hard as this Sans has been grown, it is pristine.
    I'm not a huge fan of varigated Haws but these two were pretty nice.

    This Haw is in what looks like a 6" pot for scale.
    IDK how they got this Haemanthus to look this good. Must be in a greenhouse. The little hairs on mine are always filled with detritus.

  • 8 years ago

    Pic of my Eulophia soil mix for Nil13

    Also I had a pseudobulb that died at its base for some reason and detached from the main plant. Unexpectedly it started growing a new little pseudobulb with roots.

  • 8 years ago

    I think I would speed up the drainage of that medium with pumice.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for the photos. Looks like you had a great day. Love that e. Agavoides. Mine is all green.

  • 8 years ago

    Nil, did you see the name of that Mammillaria in your 3rd set of pictures? I thought it was a huge Trichodiadema densum at first glance. It is very interesting.

  • 8 years ago

    Not a Adromischus in sight. Haws are over rated.

  • 8 years ago

    There were Adromischus for sale. I got a 3" pot with I believe two species in it. One of the least expensive too.

  • 8 years ago

    I skipped it this year so I wouldn't buy any more plants. But the Inter-City in August is mandatory!

  • 8 years ago

    Ok Rob, I cribbed this pic from the society FB page just for you.

    A. marianiae 'Brian Makin'

  • 8 years ago

    That's a beauty! I've seen small Brian Makin going on Ebay for hundreds of dollars. Adromischus prices can be crazy.

  • 8 years ago

    From the size of that clump, I'm guessing my Bryan Makin has about....um...15 years to go lol

    I can't be the only one in north NJ, why isn't there a club?!

  • 8 years ago

    Sweet plants! I see I wasn't the same only one to notice the orchid in the mix. Have never seen a Eulophia in person but recall reading that there are species which come from very arid areas.