Software
Houzz Logo Print
byram_lass

Den cabinet dilemna

8 years ago

Here are photos of our current den. As you can see there are currently two sections of cabinets (or what used to be cabinets). The left side is just under 60" (about 59.5) and the right side 61". (Who in the heck architected that design?) Both sides have a recessed ceiling (see pic). There is electrical running down the center column wit sockets on both sides and a light switch on the right for a light only on the right side (again, go figure). To the left and back is the entry way. Full left is a hallway to a half bath, Master bedroom/bath, and utility room. To the right and back is a breakfast room and kitchen.


I would like to put in a recessed bookcase on the left side. But I also understand that 3' is the recommended length in order to avoid sagging, leaving too much dead space to be filled and remain aesthetically pleasing. I am thinking white cabinetry on the right side and something similar with shelving across the back wall (mirror is going bye bye). I would use birch or maple for the bookcase and color match it and floor trim to the cabinets.




I am open to all kinds of idea as to what to do with this unsymmetrical space. TIA

Comments (6)