Software
Houzz Logo Print
thegrindstaffs

Where do I go from here??

8 years ago

I live in zone 6, just south of St. Louis, MO, and have a huge hill to climb with my yard. I had some work done to help with drainage so I didn't do any treatment to the yard this year other than pre-em in April to help with crabgrass. I have a huge bare area due to the yard work, tons of weeds, brown grass, brown thatch, etc. Also, it's a large yard at 20,000 sf with irrigation. Any help would be much appreciated. Attached are some photos.








Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago

    Is there more information I can give?

  • 8 years ago

    What is the low spot showing in the 5th pic down from the top? Can that be filled in and brought to level?

    Generally lawn care is easy to describe: water, mow, and fertilize. At the next level it is water (deep and infrequent), mow (mulch mow at the mower's highest setting), and fertilize (Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving). At the next level it is water (1 inch with a frequency depends on the air temperature), mow (nothing to add), fertilize (use organic fertilizer at least once a year to keep your soil happy).

    You have a mix of grasses. Some of them are fine bladed and some are more coarse. Does that matter to you? If not then you're good to go. If you want the uniform look of one type of grass, then you have a lot of work to do. You could look for a herbicide that only targets your "weeds" or you could use RoundUp to kill all the weeds in spots and then reseed those spots in the fall.

    All that is a simple guide to get you started. Once you have other issues, we can help you with those, too. Or if you need more explanation of what I summarized above, let us know.

  • 8 years ago

    dchall, thank you for responding

    that's not actually a low spot per say. it's been compacted from trucks driving, but it's a bare spot that being filled in by some sort of a grass/weed. Almost a zoysia looking grass


    I definitely want to try to get the uniform look. In person, it looks very patchy and weedy. I don't mind doing the work, just seems that the past couple years of work being done, which halted me investing any time or money, has caught up to me. I just got the irrigation hooked back up and turned on, but I'm basically watering weeds.

    I didn't fertilize memorial day, should I put something down now?

    Is it crazy to round up the whole thing in August and put down seed?

  • 8 years ago

    What herbicide should I get to start this process?

  • 8 years ago

    First off, that actually looks really good for a starting point. It's not a weed pit, the grass is in pretty good shape, and so on.

    Let's begin at the beginning. Mow high; that helps with water needs (longer grasses need less water, and shade their own soil better). It also chokes out the weeds.

    Water if you wish. Personally, I don't irrigate. But if you do, an inch a week total, delivered all at once (or 1/2" twice a week in hot weather) is perfect.

    If you want to spray for weeds, any good weed spray on the market, like Weed B Gone will work well here. From what I see, you probably want Weed B Gone with the crabgrass control, which kills a wider spectrum.

    Reseed in August just as temperatures begin to fall off summer highs and you think to yourself, "Summer is starting to end." That's the correct moment--a July seeding is doomed to widespread failure.


  • 8 years ago

    Looks like you have some dalis grass growing.Its not bad but when they start producing seed heads it will start spreading.Dallis grass is harder to kill with any herbicide.What I do is take my hand spade and take it out that way.Of course thats a little harder work than just spraying

  • 8 years ago

    Randy Man - After looking up what dalis grass looks like, there’s a ton of it in my yard, and it multiplies every year. I don’t know if I could dig it all up. Would it be ok to round up all of it right before I put seed down?

    morpheuspa - thank you for the help. I’ll start getting back on track with those simple things. When you say reseed do you mean kill it all and start new or overseed? Also what strain of grass should I use?

  • 8 years ago

    Also, what would the ratio be for a 25 gallon tow behind sprayer and weed b gone?

  • 8 years ago

    You can certainly spot Round Up anything you wish, right up to ten seconds before you seed (although killing it a week or two earlier is a good idea, actually).

    2 oz per gallon is standard for sprayers, so 50 oz per 25-gallon tow sprayer. Add the concentrate, then the water.

    Check the bottle, however, as it does vary by which one you chose!

    Extra surfactant is optional, but I often find it helpful, particularly if you have hard water. Any good sprayer sticker is fine if you want, at the bottle rate.

  • 8 years ago

    Herbicide wont do anything to dalis grass, but round up/glyphosate will ..Just keep in mind anything you hit with roundup will die.

    Also over the last few months ive learned that alot of the box stores sell stuff with ALOT lower active ingredients.I quit buying from box stores and get stuff online or what the professionals use.Its a little more up front but will last you A LONG TIME and it has more active ingredients so will do the job alot better.If you have time watch this video..It explains it better.This was an eye opener for me.



  • 8 years ago

    Wow! That’s crazy. Are the product names the same? Is there a site you’d recommend?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    What happended was I had a fungus in my bermuda called dollar spot..Well I spent over $100 buying the bayer blue bottles from home depot to treat it and noticed I wasnt getting good results from it..Well like he explains in the video it only has 2% active ingredient(Propiconazole) in it, so no wonder..I have a pretty big yard so had to buy 5 bottles at $20 each.I purchased a gallon of Propiconazole(14% active ingredient) from solutions lawn and pest for $88.That will last me a long long time

  • 8 years ago

    I always bought my pre emergent from home depot ,The lesco 0-0-7. It was around $50 for a 50 lb bag..I just purchased the Prodiamine from amazon for $57 with free shipping..It will last me many years .And I have a HUGE yard.right at 25.000 sq feet..The only thing with these are they are made to be mixed and sprayed on.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting