Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unutus

Ideas for my kids playroom

Ana Martin Fiestas
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is my kids playroom at the moment. It is a very nice space with plenty of light but it is not working and my girls don't play that much in it.

I need some ideas to make it more inspiring and fun. But I don't like bright colours, I love scandi style kids rooms, powder greys and pinks and wooden touches... any ideas??

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Zeta Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi Anna,

This is a brilliant space for a Play room. There is so much that could be done here.

What the room lacks is a theme, colour scheme, (even if it's neutral shades), cosiness and clear zones for the different activities.

For example you could create a super cosy reading corner, with a tent and loads of pillows. A drawing zone with 2 desks, well organised pencils and some open shelving. Another space could be dedicated to dolls and some smart storage solutions for board games and maybe Lego. Finally a ceiling fixed soft swing... by the window, could add a sense of adventure.

Kids love somewhere to hide, something to climb, swing and move in general and thankfully you have enough space for it all.

Finally, it is good idea to remove all the toys from your living room so that there is only one main play area in the house.

If you get really stuck, please do not hesitate to contact me for an affordable E- Design or a Design Consultation.

Best of Luck!

• Ana Martin Fiestas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the great ideas!

Zeta Interiors, I love the tipi idea and I think it would be fairly easy to make with nice cushions and maybe fairy lights? Definitely need different playing areas so they find it interesting and easy solutions to tidy up because when the space is messy they don't wan't to play there anymore...

This is another angle of the space, that is actually part of the living room.

• kazzh
    5 years ago
    Agree with the soft floor covering idea, using bean bags and the like (teepee, reading or activity spaces) Try asking your children what they would like that would make the room fun for them, using a houzz idea book you create from the ideas in this great forum. You can style around their ideas but it still make it somewhere they want to be.
    Ana Martin Fiestas thanked kazzh
  • PRO
    Zeta Interiors
    5 years ago

You have a beautiful home Ana and so much natural light.

It is a little tricky to work out the exact floor layout from the photographs.

But from what I understand the Playroom does not have a door?

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

What age are they? If they are not old enough to read to themselves but you want books in there you may want an armchair for you to sit on and a couple of cream furry beanbags for them.

I have had one of those indoor teepees and although they look nice they take up a huge amount of space, although some kids may like them.

I would suggest a huge amount of storage as they have so much stuff at that age. Are they into lego? Mine still play with it every day and it absorbs them. We have a ton of those clip lid boxes (available from Rymans) and it's sorted into those. Also, I have never ever met a child who doesn't like art. A space to at least draw (if not paint) is really absorbing for children, and a display wall is a good idea.

They also love fairy lights so that may entice them to use the space on an evening. Put in soft flooring, no one want to kneel on a wooden floor. Narrow shelves to display books are a fabulous way of introducing colour and good design. These put up against a deep toned wall would give good visual interest.

Smart Playroom in Greenwich, CT. · More Info

macdonald wright architects · More Info

Ana Martin Fiestas thanked Juliet Docherty
  • kazzh
    5 years ago
    ohh, and twinkle lights!
    Ana Martin Fiestas thanked kazzh
  • Laura Thomas
    5 years ago
    What a fab space!
    I have 5 & 3 year old girls, unfortunately no playroom so like them to tidy their toys away themselves at the end of the day.
    I find rope baskets that are stored in a cubed bookshelf easy to use for items like Lego, train tracks and doll clothes. They can get them out easily and put all the items away when finished playing. We also have a teepee with fairy lights and cushions which they read in, but they also like to build their own tents.
    Ana Martin Fiestas thanked Laura Thomas
  • Ana Martin Fiestas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So many good ideas, I'm so happy!

My girls are 2 and 5 and they love reading books, painting, playing with dolls and puzzles. I'm thinking about a low table and a cozy rug in the middle of the space so they can play together as most of the time they will go to the coffee table to do the puzzles. And we can get rid of the kitchen as they don't play with it ever!

@Zeta Interiors, the room doesn't have a door, it's open to the living room.

• Laura Thomas
    5 years ago
    An alternative to a teepee

My Houzz: Borrowed Inspiration · More Info

Or if you wanted to keep the floor space clear or a permanent tent/teepee structure, or could have a frame (like an old fashioned clothes airer) suspended on pulleys to lower when needed.
    Ana Martin Fiestas thanked Laura Thomas
  • E D
    5 years ago

Great playroom. Great home!

Ana Martin Fiestas thanked E D
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    What a beautiful space! I agree with all the above: I would zone the space with a play/toys area, cosy reading nook, craft table, etc. Add lots of textures if your colour scheme is going to be pale to create softness and warmth and stay with natural materials to keep the Scandi feel you're after: soft rugs, cotton floor cushions, rattan, natural wood. I would also try to source some vintage pieces for the storage items (bookshelf, old travel chest or suitcases to store away toys): this would add depth and grounds the scheme. Lastly, it's a playroom so have fun with scale! This room can take it. Not sure what the light fittings are but maybe install a big pendant light (again use natural materials) with fairy lights intertwined or add a large framed scandi style kids poster next to a home-made origami birds display hanging down from the ceiling... endless possibilities! Have fun with it all, it will look gorgeous!
    Ana Martin Fiestas thanked User
  • PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors
    5 years ago

Having a feature wall with fun wallpaper will instantly add colour and make it more inviting for your children. Adding items such as a rug, bean bags and cushions will also make it more cosy and fun to be in.

Ana Martin Fiestas thanked Sara Slade Interiors
  • sharon baker
    5 years ago
    I have 2 boys and they adore their hanging cacoon in their playroom
    Ana Martin Fiestas thanked sharon baker
  • Ana Martin Fiestas
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the idea of the hanging chair/cocoon. Thank you @sharon baker!