Software
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Should I wallpaper the entire bedroom?

8 years ago

I need to place the wallpaper order for my daughter's room and I'm trying to decide if I should paper the entire room or not.


First of all I should make it clear that I love wallpaper and I'm happy to embrace. I am not worried about resale or removal issues so that's not a concern at all. The only reason I give pause to papering the entire room is because it is a very busy print in a small room.


My daughter's room is less than 10x10 (yes, I will measure before ordering) and is dominated by a large IKEA loft bed. In many situations I might consider just papering one wall as a feature, but in this room the wall opposite the door is almost entirely obscured by the loft bed and the other walls wouldn't have much visual impact. I have considered papering two walls, the one with the bed and the one to the right but maybe it will look like I didn't finish. I don't think I want to do a chair rail, the room is already quite busy. Ceilings are 9'.


The paper





Daughter's Room (it's so small that it is difficult to photograph). The Disney decor and dollhouse have left. I will probably turn her desk and have it all the way under the loft bed. Most or maybe all of the hooks on the one wall will be going.








Comments (20)

  • 8 years ago

    Cute paper and cute little girl's room! I'd just do one wall to prevent the space from feeling too closed in. Would it work well on the wall where her little headbands and things are hanging?

  • 8 years ago

    Okay, one vote for one wall (to the right of bed with accessories)

    Does everyone hate wallpaper that much?

  • 8 years ago
    Love the paper. I agree with IdaClaire.
  • 8 years ago

    DH said "OH HELL NO". One small wall or the back of a book case...good to hear the hooks are going. If you went with IdaClaire's advise they would have been lost in the paper. "Where's Waldo". Wall paper is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to remove. That alone suggests caution when adding it to a room. I had a house full when we moved in here. The rooms with paper on the window wall were the least offensive.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Reese, I LOVE wallpaper and that is beautiful.

    How old is your daughter; in other words, might she tire of something sooner rather than later? Is she old enough to decide for herself which she would prefer, and not ask for a change a year from now?

    You did ask for opinions, and 3 of 4 responders so far have said they love it, so people aren't saying that they 'hate wallpaper'. Maybe buy enough to do the whole room IF you can return the unopened rolls once you have one wall done?

    This pic below is the most that I can see on the website, with part of two walls showing.

  • 8 years ago

    The wallpaper is really pretty, but also too busy for use on all the walls. Unless the room is very, very empty of stuff I think it will feel chaotic in the 10x10 space. I'm projecting a little, but it just doesn't feel restful.

    I think a reasonable compromise would be to put it on the one wall with bed, and then use it as accents either at the back of shelving or in the closet or something.

    I like how her desk currently receives some light from the window.

  • 8 years ago

    good to hear the hooks are going. If you went with IdaClaire's advise they would have been lost in the paper.

    Huh?? You misunderstood. How could the hooks get "lost in the paper" if they're going away? I never suggested leaving them there.

  • 8 years ago

    I LOVE the paper and I'm a wallpaper fan -- we have several rooms wallpapered in my house and by rooms I mean ALL walls! So yes, I would paper all 4 of them! I agree with you if you do two, it would look like you didn't finish . . . and I am not a big fan of a "feature" wall whether it's wallpaper or paint. To me, it looks like you couldn't decide. I agree with you about wainscoting -- the way the room is, it wouldn't be very effective to do that and just paper the upper part of the room. If a less wallpaper is desired, I would rather see wainscoting and the upper papered on all 4 walls than just one wall. But that's me -- a wallpaper lover!


  • 8 years ago

    Is your daughter on board for all that color around her? There are so many calmer ones from which to choose.

  • 8 years ago

    Typically I would say yes.But this is better as an accent I think.

  • 8 years ago

    My daughter likes the wallpaper and is excited about it. She's 8.5, but the paper is my idea. I never loved how her room turned out with the pink and I did some cool stripes in their brothers room which she was a bit envious of. I think it's lovely and my hope is that it won't be grown out of anytime soon. I have a sample of it and has a watercolor look to it up close. It's very pretty. The paper is shipped from the U.K. So I don't think I can return unopened rolls.

  • 8 years ago

    I also don't select finishes by the criteria of how hard they are to change, before I've even finalized them the first time. I'm not that fickle.

  • 8 years ago

    Did you wallpaper the room? I love that paper. Curious to see how it turned out.

  • 8 years ago

    Love the paper for a girl's room and I would do all 4 walls. It will be adorable. Anyone who has ever had trouble taking wallpaper off it's because the paper was hung by someone who didn't know what they were doing. When the walls are prepped correctly the paper will peel right off in sheets.

  • 8 years ago
    I vote for all four walls for sure. It will look amazing and much more cohesive in my opinion.
  • 8 years ago
    What if you put it in her ceiling. It could be really cute!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I ordered two rolls and planned on just doing the one wall. I haven’t hung it yet as I was considering painting the remaining walls a lighter blush pink, but given the feedback maybe I should just order more paper and do the whole room. I have to touch up the walls anyway so it’s either repaint or paper.

    The photos with the ceilings papered look cute unfortunately my ceiling have knockdown texture so paper won’t work.

  • 8 years ago

    I love wallpaper, so I say go for it :)


  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    quote from above,"Where's Waldo". Wall paper is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to remove" ONLY if is NOT properly primed with a wall covering primer such as GARDZ. This is the reason for most wall paper haters, improper prep. Prime the walls first with a wall covering primer and removal is easier than the installation