Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelleduncan2447

Would love to hear your first thoughts!

Michelle Duncan
5 years ago

Our new family home. Getting ready to close on this hexagon-shaped house. Here's the first floor. Need to replace the tile, redo the kitchen, etc. Right now I'm thinking black hex tile for the entrance, some bold wallpaper on the wall at the top of the spiral staircase, built-in couches in the sunken area with a new patterned-tile, but looking to hear what you guys would do! Fireplace in the middle *may* need to be removed if we can't get a fix that is to code. Thanks!!

Comments (90)

• everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I copied this part of your first post: "but looking to hear what you guys would do!" I'm excited, for you! I'd also have ideas swirling....to look and linger, and envision changes before moving in... Right now, you're seeing the architecture pretty well ?

I've seen hgtv shows that remove everything from a room before they'll decorate.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I didn't think you had a sledgehammer in hand. I post partly to encourage seeing what's there in a positive way, which might be used with some alterations... even beautiful, who knows? do you absolutely hate the brown tile? it could be covered with a custom rug... some have mentioned an easy fix is rug store that cuts to your size....

• Michelle Duncan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all of your comments, everdebz!! They are all appreciated : )

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like the stone, wood floors, and the beams. I don't like any of the tile floors. They don't seem to tie it to what I image were the original surfaces.

Michelle Duncan thanked tqtqtbw
  • Michelle Duncan thanked Irene Morresey
  • Hillside House
    5 years ago

I think this house has the potential to be amazing. I hope you keep us updated!

Michelle Duncan thanked Hillside House
  • baileysr
    5 years ago
    Congratulations on the new home! It is certainly unique. Since it’s such an open style, it would be nice if all the floors were the same material. Personally, I would play up the natural materials so I would do hardwood. But definitely figure out whether you’re going to keep the fireplace before you invest in flooring. Live in it for awhile to figure out what works and doesn’t work for you. Luckily, it appears to be quite livable in its current condition, so you have the ability to take your time. Personally, I’d probably start with flooring and kitchen when the time comes to do some redesign. I envision a mid century design with lots of natural materials (wood, stone) and very simple furniture lines, similar to the interior design at Fallingwater (you can google it). I wouldn’t necessarily play up the hexagon thing in flooring, tile, etc. since you’re already living in a giant hexagon and you don’t want to overdo the shape.
    Michelle Duncan thanked baileysr
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Arranging a sunken room around a hexagon fireplace will be a challenge. Depending upon the size of the space and the number of entry-points, furniture placement is limited. You need to have one or two conversational groupings rather than line furniture up along the walls facing each other across the fire pit.
    I would draw up a to-scale sketch of the room and use to-scale mock ups of furniture pieces to come up with a plan before buying anything for that area.
    Michelle Duncan thanked felizlady
  • arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Fireplace to code: Where do you live? In my State a home has to be brought up to code to sell. Why isn't it code? Gas flame fireplaces are all the rage. Bet this could be converted easily if you want that ski chalet feel. The liberal mix of woods has me spinning for the most part. Living in a space for a year, see what you need what you don't seems like a good plan.

Michelle Duncan thanked arcy_gw
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Why any of this.....how about..... bad taste, poor design, horrible choices.....clueless

The 80's are offended.

Michelle Duncan thanked leelee
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago

Neat house. If you close, I agree live in it for 6-12 months before you do anything significant.

There is a house in my city that is a hexagon, also with a fireplace in middle. It has been listed for eons though. I think it sold a few years ago when I first moved here and was reno’d and has been back on market for a couple years. or so with several price drops (now at $1.2 million).

So, story is neat house but limited buyers, especially in a range where buyers may have many options opened up to them. Keep that in mind if you plan to sell anytime soon.

Michelle Duncan thanked RaiKai
  • pamtheartist
    5 years ago
    This is definitely not a house to grow old in! If you have unlimited funds and a great architect/ designer it could be a stunning one of a kind house. Not a DYI project. You can always delay a closing and get competent advice on remodel costs. Good luck
    Michelle Duncan thanked pamtheartist
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

It's a pretty COOL house! Yep...not cookie cutter! I just sold one with similar angles, it was cedar.

I added a few nice details to like. Then I just played up the details. That's the key.

I'd take out the tile floor and match the adjacent wood floor. No wall paper, the stencil idea is more current or hanging artwork. I would not add hexagon tile...it's not a tie in factor...but a too much of a good thing factor. Stain the light cabinets dark/cappuccino to match the beams. Add a 2-3 car garage. Landscaping is key here. There needs to be a zen feeling to the outdoor living area.

Michelle Duncan thanked nicole___
  • H202
    5 years ago

I love this house. Not sure why the naysayers above? Has garden web turned nastier now that it's merging with houzz? This site is usually very supportive.

I would probably do the floors before you move in, and wait on the rest for a year. Floors - definitely one consistent floor throughout the entire house. Calm hardwood, cork, epoxy, cement. Something with a lot of consistency throughout. Definitely not black tile!!! If you are suggesting black tile, it makes me a little worried about your overall vision for the house, and think you should hire an expert (nothing wrong with that!).

Not sure why people are complaining about the sunken area? Have they missed the news that these are very trendy right now? https://www.curbed.com/2017/3/23/15026328/sunken-living-room-conversation-pit

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/trend-alert-conversation-pits-251828

Love this house - you will have a lot of fun and a masterpiece when you are done.

• Michelle Duncan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks again everyone! I hear everyone saying no to the black tile and the wallpaper! I like to take risks, but sometimes you don't know if you are taking a good risk or not, which is why I appreciate forums like this!

• User
    5 years ago

You seem like such a sweet person, Michelle. I hope you stick around with updates..we all love to live vicariously :)

Michelle Duncan thanked User
  • H202
    5 years ago

Michelle - as follow up, we live in a midcentury house that, while not a hexagon, has a lot of architectural interest like this one. In our experience, you shouldn't take many decorating risks because the house is the artwork. You don't need a bold sofa, or strong wallpaper or paint colors. Let this house speak for itself. Just my two cents...

Michelle Duncan thanked H202
  • pricklypearcactus
    5 years ago

This house is really amazing! I love the beams and the uniqueness. It also has a great deal of openness without being a big open space. Honestly, it looks like a great place for gatherings / parties. And it clearly meets that "not cookie cutter" criteria!!

Whether you are willing to live in it for a few months before starting work may really depend on your patience. I think there is some validity to experiencing a space before determining what really needs to be changed (especially if you're considering any structural changes).

Looking at the space I'd want to embrace the earthiness of it: stained wood, stone. I do think you could re-do the kitchen in a way to make the space more useable and the finishes more in keeping with the house. (Post a floor plan in Kitchens forum to receive some input.) I'd want to unify the flooring a bit more. I like the wood flooring and I'd want to go with a single stone tile (maybe slate?) wherever you don't want wood. I really hope you can keep the fire pit. It adds so much character to that space. Some kind of conversation space would be nice around the fire pit. I'm not a big fan of built ins (just personal preference) so I'd look for a sectional or some kind of modular furniture to make a conversation space. I would want to think about re-doing the stairs to not be spiral only because I've used spiral stairs before and don't like them. They look really cool, but something wider and more linear is more comfortable / efficient. I love the open look though.

Michelle Duncan thanked pricklypearcactus
  • lizziesma
    5 years ago

Oh good grief people...this is an interesting house, so different, I admire you for taking it on. It has potential to be a shining star. I agree with living in it to see how you can make it yours. If you want a different color in every room, if you want purple floor tile, whatever...do it and enjoy it. If you end up listening to everyone else design it, you may never feel comfortable in it. Go back to why you purchased the house and what you loved. Make it yours!

Michelle Duncan thanked lizziesma
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

MCM Lakehouse · More Info

Agorafocus Fire · More Info

Michelle Duncan thanked decoenthusiaste
  • motupeg
    5 years ago

Leelee, you have written six messages about not liking the house. What is it that you want? For the post to go away? For the poster to not buy the house? How is that helpful? Other people may enjoy this dilemma.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I am breaking my own cardinal rule. I haven't read a single comment, but here are my first thoughts.

This is a great house. The very first order of business is to rip out all the floors and install one material. Could be wood, or even a polished concrete, probably wouldn't do tile. But all those different floors must GO!

Now I'll go back and see what everyone else has said.

Michelle Duncan thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

OK, I lied. I started replacing your floors first.

Now I'll go read.

• User
    5 years ago

I like the floors that way, too, grover. But not the sunken living area. That should be different imo.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

From that photo, I agree that the fireplace could stand out more with the cool tiling - but I'd rather see the entire scan of the area.

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Very cool house! Following to see how you progress... (only comment at this point would be to see if the fire pit can be converted to gas - much more practical, and much more likely to be used than wood).
    Michelle Duncan thanked Laura Hill
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    The fire pit style would be more at home outdoors... and interferes with interaction in the space....feels like a commercial setting where separate groups will share a communal area...in concept a fireplace is not used often enough ... to warrant the centerpiece status
    Michelle Duncan thanked btydrvn
  • barrowp
    5 years ago

Cool house, amazing outdoor space, hope you will take us along for the adventure.

Michelle Duncan thanked barrowp
  • Emily
    5 years ago

yes, groveraxle - those floors look so much better all one material.

For fun, here's how it might look as polished concrete.

• Michelle Duncan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Groveraxle, Emily, thank you so much! It never ceases to amaze me when people take the time to do this for strangers, just to help (and for the fun of it)! All of you are awesome : )

• suezbell
    5 years ago

What does the outside look like? Pic?

Does the space and shapes of spaces work for you and your family; if so, take criticisms of the style/shape with a grain of salt. If the house suits you and if the price and any changes you want are in your budget -- enjoy your find.

Not sure I would level up the sunken floor because of the resulting change in ceiling height. Would definitely want the same color flooring throughout the main floor. The mid/dark gray color concrete suggested by Emily is a great idea as long as the concrete is suitable for kitchen and bath and laundry, too.

Although the all wood (groveraxle pic) would look good, it wouldn't work that well for the kitchen and bath and laundry and would defeat the "ALL" the same floor objective.

Would probably want to decrease the width of the areas for stepping down -- or falling down into -- the sunken living room. Would add to the built ins outlining the room with something slightly taller and leave the pair of access openings between the taller parts. A 4' opening on each side should be a wide enough step.

(edited)

Michelle Duncan thanked suezbell
  • User
    5 years ago

Thanks for letting us play, Michelle. Do you know anything about the history of the house?

• intheevnt
    5 years ago

I love the hexagon shape. In light of that I would steer clear of repeating the hexagon theme by making the flooring uniform. This would help to prevent the space from feeling and looking choppy. I would also standardize the other design elements, such as the railing,beams, and any other molding. This would enable you to start with a blank canvas and play up the architecture and design elements you choose.

I would keep the fireplace where it is, but change the materials to something more streamlined and less bulky.

In the kitchen I would change the counter tops from granite to a more sleek material such as stainless steel and warm the space up with color on the cabinets similar to whichever stain you use on the beams throughout. I would keep the soft yellow on the walls and go with grayish black appliances.

Because of the heavy beams and low ceilings, painting white would reflect white well and make the rooms feel light and airy. I would also go with soft textured furniture to soften the space as well.

It is truly a beautiful space with so much potential.

Best of luck to you.

• Michelle Duncan
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm really liking the idea of concrete for the main floor Emily! Good point about not raising the sunken area, suezbell. And intheevnt, great suggestions as well- especially standardizing the railings, etc and the stainless counter tops. pennydesign You are so great...I don't know much about the history at all yet, but I'm working on that. Here are a couple pics of the outside (the last pic is what it looked like about 20 years ago)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Modern fireplace:

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

Oooh I like that floating Fp

• Danielle Black
    5 years ago

They are everywhere I guess!

Michelle Duncan thanked Danielle Black
  • Lidia
    5 years ago
    So...the storage divider thing between the pot and left side...take a look at some FLW interiors and see if you can incorporate built in seating into the divider on the pot side and on the opposite side think about breaking up the storage to some open shelving, perhaps lit curio type spaces. Yes, make all the flooring the same, streamline the materials and get creative with the fireplace. The upper section needs a major face lift. Fun house, great potential!
    Michelle Duncan thanked Lidia
  • User
    5 years ago

I'd like to second the epoxy floor suggestions for the middle. Odd as it sounds.

If you google "metallic floor" (or pearlescent) they come up in images...wonderful, like your house.

Michelle Duncan thanked User
  • KrisB
    5 years ago
    such an interesting house...really keen to hear regular updates from you Michelle on how you respond to the architecture. I have to admit to loving the original photo from 20 years ago, the one showing the dark exterior when the house really seemed to respond to the environment it's sitting in.
    Michelle Duncan thanked KrisB
  • Laura Villar
    5 years ago

following

• melinda1977
    5 years ago

I think this is an awesome house, and I am not really a big fan of MCM. I think I would also unify the floors except incorporating a contrasting but coordinating floor for the sunken area. For example, if you decided to go with concrete flooring, staining the sunken area a darker color. This would set it apart, as well as emphasize that there is a step-down. Re: fireplace, I think it is the hood which bothers me...visually breaking up the sight-line. I wonder if it could be converted to an ethanol-burning fireplace. It is my understanding they don't require venting to the outside.

Michelle Duncan thanked melinda1977
  • Danielle Black
    5 years ago

I too like a different flooring in the sunken cozy fireplace room. Even green carpet for some fun! I’d embrace the funk.

Michelle Duncan thanked Danielle Black
  • suezbell
    5 years ago

Really like your lot, too. if you're changing the outside color, I hope you'll choose something that blends in with the natural surroundings.

Michelle Duncan thanked suezbell
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Fascinating home, inside and out. It's like a tree house. Agree with simplifying the floors
    Michelle Duncan thanked Irene Morresey
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    Creating an enclosed grand foyer...with an elegant stairway....a beautiful chandelier....a gallery of striking art....would create the deserved introduction to this unique home...
    Michelle Duncan thanked btydrvn
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Ideas, I think I like the encased fire, safety
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Ideas, I think I like the encased fire, safety
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    Definitely put a long counter in front of window towards the living room with seating ...in the kitchen ...the rest I would leave alone for now ...there are too many colors , themes m patterns ..take it easy and see how your furniture or your furniture idea work..for YOU . Before you spend money ripping out a fireplace ..live with it ...for a year is the best suggestion yet ...but I would start in the kitchen ..great potential there to make a huge working space ...add cabinets and seating ...enjoy and tone the house down ...no loud colors black and beiges ..and white ... Maybe ... Your house has potential but go slow ...this is not an easy house ...so see what your needs are first ...and enjoy ! Your space looks like a lot of fun !
    Michelle Duncan thanked silviakunst