Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandraro

Will gold fixtures be dated in 5/10 years

sandraro
5 years ago
I'm renovating 2 bathrooms this fall while I love the current antique brass/gold fixtures, I'm afraid they will looked dated quickly. I've been living with a chrome/brush nickel/grey design scheme for over 10 years and am looking for something new in modern-classic. Attached are some design ideas with the gold. Should I take the brass plunge? Or will I kick myself in just a few years? I can't decide

Comments (17)

• Josie23: Zone 5: WI
    5 years ago

How long will you stay in your house? If you love it and will be there for many more years go for it. If you are going to sell in the next few years stick with something more timeless and less subjective to buyers like brushed nickel. Personally I really dislike the gold/brass and would never consider it, but that is just me.

• PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

Gold was used years ago and now it's coming back. That's how things are they go our of style for a while and then somehow they make their return. Do what you like and love, if gold tones are what you love go ahead. Keep it neutral on the rest like the tile etc. The SAFE way to go is brushed nickel and of course will match well with other things. Right now most of what we are selling is Chrome. Chrome was popular way back and look now it's popular yet again. Style comes and goes like a boomerang so do what you feel is best for you. Good luck!

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Trends come and go, but classic looks and finishes never fade. Gold/brass has been used for thousands of years, it will continue to be used for the foreseeable future.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You can use the brass if you don't over do it. I would plan a bath with a frameless shower so all that has to be selected is the finish on the handle.

I might use brass faucets, but I would never continue the finish on the mirror frames or cabinet handles so that if the finish has to be changed out, it's not such an overwhelming task.

There are plenty of ways to make a bathroom interesting without relying on the finish of the hardware to carry the load.

I think you can count that the brass will be out of style sooner than later.

• H202
    5 years ago

Gold is definitely going to be dated in 5-7 years, but that shouldn't stop you. It mixes well with chrome and nickel, so if i were going to do it, i'd do gold cabinet hardware and faucets. Maybe gold tower bars. But keep chrome or neutral shower hardware, mirror, doorknobs etc. Then in 5-7 years when you tire of it, you can spend $500 to replace the cabinet hardware and faucets diy on a saturday morning and be moved on from the gold trend! But don't do anything in gold that is custom sized or difficult to replace. For instance, my friend just did gold hardware in her new kitchen and while both of her cabinet hardware screw distances were standard, there was some issue that they were not standard in the *same* systems. So easy to find replacement hardware to replace the one hardware length, and easy to find replacement hardware to replace the other hardware length, but very difficult to find replacement in the same set to replace both of the lengths.

And as an aside, i think the gold trend is going to pass much faster than the overall arcs of brass in the 70s and 80s, and chrome/nickel in the 90s to current. Those were really broad style directions, while the gold thing is a "trend" -- in the sense that it popped up one day as a trendy alternative to chrome. But chrome/nickel is still the primary design choice. So the gold choice is more like a trend like chevron patterns was trendy for a few years, or shiplap was this trendy thing to put up, while chrome/nickel is more like an overall style direction that rules for 20 years, like open floorplans or granite counters, until tastes gradually morph over time.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

Metal colors come and go, then come back in again. Put in what you love.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Like other's have said metals come and go in style. But cabinet hardware and light fixtures usually aren't too expensive, so changing them out, later on, is pretty easy. Go with what you love.

• K R
    5 years ago
    Agree with H2O2 all the way! Go with what you love now and spend $500 to change it in 10 years. World will probably end by then anyway LOL
  • Toni Covey
    2 years ago

I can’t stand all of this taking into consideration of what is “in style” and what is “dated”. Why do our homes all have to look alike at the same time? I think it’s silly. I was struggling with the same question about gold hardware and fixtures. I’ve decided to go with what most are saying in this thread and just stick with what makes me smile. I don’t care if someone else (or the Internet) thinks my house is dated in five years.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Get what you love! Dont worry about 5 years down the road. Personally, I am a silver hardware fan. When I had my 2 smaller bathrooms renovated a few years ago; I kept my 20 year old silver chrome hardware for my hand and bath towels, and they still look brand new.

• Suzanne Seale
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My house is brick and gumwood and oak floors, so it always will look better with brass and gold but if you have a condo or something without a lot of personality, realize trends will change. I renovated but wouldn't let them take out the brass. Now it's back in style.

It's like clothes. You want to at least be minimally in style get you have to deal with what looks best on you personally and what expresses your personality.

When I bought the house, everything had to be oak, then it changed completely. Like clothes, the staple pieces should be of good quality and timeless and the scarves and belts can change to fit the trends.

• David Brown
    last year

Popular

• Fa Knapps
    2 months ago

Here we are after 6 years of your post and it is still a thing.

• RedRyder
    2 months ago

Seems like it survived quite a while. I hope you did what you love.

• Suzanne Seale
    2 months ago

Let the house decide.

• mmmunroe
    2 months ago

Still looks fresh and current. It's just one of many metal options. What seems to date is the finish (e.g., high gloss versus brushed). The same concern can be said of chrome vs. brushed steel finishes go in and out of fashion. Go with what makes you happy.