0

The DIY thread (Ask--Show--Help)

pennydesign

A thread for those of us who need to be creative...with money, or talent or both!

So, please ask, or show, or help. Creativity lives here :)

Comments (1.1K)

• justwantapool

Thanks, Penny!

I don't really care that headboard design, but that's a neat piece. I do kind of like that light fixture though and had not seen it.

I'll try and find it now. thanks!

SCG, I agree with Penny. Anyone can come hang here, ideas or not. I'd love to see the progress on your new place when you have some.

• justwantapool

Penny you have some special CL skills because I don't see it anywhere. What searches do you use?

• pennydesign

Understand about the bed...your cl has way less than mine and with your specific wants, it's going to take a loooonnng time.

The chandelier is on my CL, but it's not far from my house. If you like it, I have no problem checking it out for you.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fuo/d/elegant-semi-tropical-theme-light/6838630707.html

ETA when you're looking, expand your search terms...the bed might be listed under any of the following-- 4 post, 4 poster, post, tester, canopy.

The lights, I look under light fixture as well as chandelier.

• justwantapool

I often search the Dallas and Austin CL too. That light looks maybe too small in diameter. But I like the look.

for beds, I usually just search "king" and scroll through them all. I did recently start searching for light fixture as well also.

I just need to be persistent I guess. I will find it.

Speaking of finding things, I may post some of my ideas on this thread first before mine. Sometimes I'm just throwing out ideas and others get all worked up and stuff. I like to throw ideas out as I think them instead of thinking on them for awhile first. I think that kind of derails other's thinking haha.

So with that said, I kind of like these chairs. mostly I like the shape, but the black and zebra isn't bad and I think I could work with it for awhile until I do something else with these. I'm thinking wood tone and other fabric. What do you think? "you" being anyone who wants to answer haha. They are $70 for both but I may offer $50 if we decide yes.

ugh hold on, I have to find them again or maybe refresh bc they aren't in my ideabook.

• justwantapool

ok these. thoughts?

I should probably make sure I need them, but I think I love chairs haha

• ilikefriday

Those chairs are fab. I want them too! Omg $70. I would get them asap. I love them!

• christinero

Love the chairs!

• tartanmeup

You need those chairs. :)

• justwantapool

I did not expect that response haha

I'll try and check them out! The back looks a little narrow so I need to try them out for sure.

• tartanmeup

The back does look narrow. I hope they're comfortable.

• justwantapool

what do y'all think about this other chair? Obviously it needs new cushions :)

there's only 1 though. But that could be okay. IDK what I need until I find it haha

• pennydesign

Nice chairs! But what room would you be using them for?

• tartanmeup

Nice! Love the lines.

• justwantapool

Oh penny I don’t know haha.

Either living or family room. Or maybe this alone chair could go in the guest room.

I like options haha

• justwantapool

The more I think about it, I’m not sure about the zebra chairs. I can still look at them I guess.

I do like the single chair and think it is more the style I’m wanting. With maybe a camel or tobacco color leather upholstery.

• ilikefriday

Pool - what happened to the plumbers crack? :-)

• pennydesign

What room is that chair for? I'm really not trying to be a downer or negative...I just want you to love what you buy, instead of getting it home and saying "meh"....

I'm 100% on team Pool...

• justwantapool

Penny, you know I don't really ever have a plan haha. I have ideas and I shop around and buy what I like, then go home and say crap now what. It's how I roll lol.

But my idea for the single chair is to either go in the living room or guest room.

I moved my two sofas in the living room back to an L-shape configuration. It's not what people suggested but it works better for my family, giving us more floor space for play. Plus I like the way it feels better. I even pushed one all the way back to wall! The horror! lol

Anyway, I'm also moving the chair(s) over towards the front windows and spreading the seating area out. 99% it's just us so I'm not worried about a conversation area and the chairs can be brought over for company.

So, I think my plan is to have like 2 matching chairs and 1 oddball chair. Maybe 1 bigger comfy chair and my 2 ming chairs. (they are currently in the guest room and look good and can stay if I decide that). Or maybe 2 medium comfy style chairs (maybe swivel club style-ish tbd) and 1 unique chair- like this single chair I posted.

That's my idea...for now :)

• justwantapool

Friday, someone privately messaged me and suggested I change my profile pic, supposedly to attract more Pros to my posts and help reflect my personality more. idk. At the time I was already considering it anyway, so I laughed at them for being an old fogey and changed it. But now I'm kind of annoyed I did. Which is kind of stupid bc I was planning on it anyway. Maybe I'm just kind of annoyed they asked.

It's not like it's permanent, I can always add it back...like if they tick me off I will do in defiance haha.

• pennydesign

Okay, I didn't see a post about furniture placement...and I thought the sofas you got were for the family room...and the ming chairs were in the living room???

I have a suspicion that a lot of people here live differently than they advise... :-/

To me (and this my opinion only) sofas pulled away from walls never made me think the room was bigger (the explanation given to me, here).

Drapes hung near the ceiling do NOT make the ceilings look higher (it just creates an awkward space between the top of the window and the rod) and I think it's one of those things that, in future, we'll look back and say "what were we thinking?!?"

Sectionals are not the evil they're made out to be--we loved ours...it worked and was comfy for pizza movie nights and kids and dogs could all pile on...

Basically--it's what works for you that is the important thing...not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

My thing I can offer is that I'm pretty good a spotting quality. And that's all, really. If you need something for a particular spot, I'm pretty good at finding things. However I'm not you and our tastes/budgets won't be the same.

ETA: Have you been here? https://www.designersfurnitureexchange.com/  It's higher end consignment furniture...I've wandered through the one (different company) here stuff is very unique but very good quality... Fun even if you don't find anything..

And this place:https://www.facebook.com/pg/MAIHouston/posts/?ref=page_internal

Has 50 percent off everything....I guess they're closing? Anyway...it started the 4th so beat a path over there, girl!

• ilikefriday

Tartanmeup - Are you still looking for a boxspring cover? Have you seen these?

https://www.amazon.com/HOME-Box-Spring-Cover-Alternative/dp/B07F8J4ZLL/?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=9d543af446c111e98f0bee446ae44d1d0INT

Please ignore if this has already been suggested. I have not had a computer for the past couple of weeks. I am sure I have missed many discussions since I only have my cell.

• justwantapool

I’ll check those links out, thanks!

Those two matching sofas I got are in the living room.

I moved my brown sectional to the family room for now but we don’t like it in there really.

Im almost certain I’ll end up with the ikea sofa in there (or very similar) with a couple wicker/rattan/similar type chairs. And get rid of any table I’m there too.

We’ve eaten at the island several times and it works fine. The girls love it. But I have my old giant dining table in there right now until I see my curtains. It makes a good work space haha.

• pennydesign

Tartanmeup, what if you did a wall treatment that gave you the look of a headboard...

• tartanmeup

I think I'm set for my headboard wall, penny. "Art", no headboard. I had a good dozen ideas for the wall, as you can imagine. So many great ideas out there!! That's my issue: winnowing it down and choosing one option. Right now, I'll concentrate on the fabric solution to cover the box spring. I've bought simple wooden legs at HD yesterday and I've seen a few affordable fabrics at our local fabric store. I'll talk to my "sewer" and see if he can elasticize the top and bottom of the "band" (similar idea to the video) and add a zipper to one of the headboard seams. Btw, box springs covers do exist on the marketplace (I didn't think to look initially) but they seem to come in white or ivory and they're made like a fitted sheet. Not as practical as I'd like. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress but I'm telling you now, I'm not as quick as you are! :)

• justwantapool

Sounds like a good plan Tartan! Can't wait to see your progress. :)

I looked at some box spring covers awhile back but couldn't fork over the $100+ for one. Instead I keep looking for a bed to hide the boxspring haha

• tartanmeup

Haha. Sounds like we're in the same boat, pool! I'll keep you posted. So far, the legs cost me 36 bucks. I estimate needing about 4 meters of fabric (a bit more than 4 yards) and I did find possible fabric candidates at 9 bucks a yard... Depending on how much my sewer charges me, I might come out ahead with my DIY option. Ultimately, I'd love to find a "proper" bed but honestly, it would cramp our room. Good luck in your bed search. I found lots of affordable options online but the mixed reviews left me so wary about the quality. Didn't want to chance it with the hassle of returning something.

• justwantapool

Tartan, I don't know what kind of stores you have there for fabric, but you may check for coupons too. Or see if you can find the same fabric online and order with a coupon code.

• tartanmeup

We have one "basic" fabric store. Actually, there are others on the island but I'm not braving the construction zone Montreal has become to get to them. Coupons!!! You reminded me I have a credit at the fabric store!! Returned drapery hardware that didn't work a couple of years ago. Well, isn't this a nice DIY surprise?! Thank you, Ms Pool. :D

• justwantapool

That's great! It will be like free fabric :)

• pennydesign

Tartan, how will you tackle the issue of the boxes sliding apart? Or are you going to keep your fingers crossed?

When we were first married with zero money, I made a padded headboard...it was just plywood with foam, batting and a sheet stapled to it. I used the same sheets to make a duvet and stenciled a pattern on both the headboard and duvet. It looked really posh...and it was so comfy to sit in bed..

Art is lovely but I can't have it above my head....phobic about it.

I saw this and thought of you...another idea:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-hot-new-Large-wall-sticker-Acrylic-3d-stickers-home-decor-vinilos-paredes-horse-room-home/32429828964.html

(mirrors, but I'm sure you could find non-mirrors).

And this:https://www.classyclutter.net/diy-wood-accent-wall/

You have to scroll down for the finished product. It doesn't look to impressive at the beginning...

I wish I had a room that I could do this with! In fact I long for a house that I could "play" in...this one I'm in isn't it :(

• ilikefriday

Penny - that blue wall looks fabulous! Now I need an extra wall so I can try it. But I have no extra walls......

• tartanmeup

I like the look of that blue wall as well! Thanks, penny. Love the shapes of the acrylic stickers.

For keeping the boxes in place, I'm thinking we might use plastic blockers on the inside legs. This kind of thing.

Why can't you "play" in your house, penny? Are you renting?

• ilikefriday

Do any of you happen to know what style my decor is? I want to google some ideas. I thought it was eclectic. As I search the www I am thinking maybe it is not. Do any of you know?

• christinero

My first thought was also, eclectic, Friday. Why do you think it's not? I mean, some of your stuff I would say is contemporary, but eclectic is a "broad and diverse range of sources", which I think is you. Maybe your style is "Friday Style"!

• pennydesign

Well, your style is contemporary, but your house is eclectic because there are elements there that aren't contemporary...for example your bathroom and your kitchen cabinets.

• pennydesign

Tartan, I don't like my house, it's got bad associations for me.

Plus it's very traditional.

• tartanmeup

I hope you can find some measure of play in it and if not, perhaps this forum can continue to offer you an outlet for your creativity.

• tartanmeup

ilikefriday, I find your style modern. There's an insouciance about your decor which I relate to a modern sensibility. You do what makes sense for you and that's modern, imo. I understand the need for labels when searching for ideas but man, oh man, do I detest them for the threat of confinement. :)

• ilikefriday

PennyPthatthat mistbemust be whywhy iI hatehate thehineythe honey okok. ItsIt's notnot contemcontemporary . LolLol. GodsGod's kniwsknows iI hatehate thosethose cbabinetscabinets. oak II dodo lovelove contcontemporary stylestyle homesrcarc3architecture . II alsoalso lovelove modernmodern. AndAnd eclececlectic . architecture andand decor

Eta this is what houzz sometimes does when I am on my cell.... Wtf

• pennydesign

Lol....it's like I'm reading my thoughts... :-/

• tartanmeup

I thought that was talk to text, friday.

• ilikefriday

It's houzz to text...

• justwantapool

Interesting that you are asking about decor style. I just took an older questionnaire Fromm emily Henderson and it said I’m MCM. Which I really don’t like at all lol.

There are a few pieces of 70s style I like, but I don’t even know if that’s mid century style or not.

However when I was looking up some Cuban/Havana decor style (which I think I really love) it did say that is like old/traditional stuff with some mid century pieces. So maybe?

Which also led me to think maybe I could incorporate an idea I’ve had. I have a bunch of my dads old records and I’d love to have a record player and place to store them. And I’ve been thinking about an old 70/80s record console for my dining room. I would need to find the right one. I like a mix of looks (apparently!)

• ilikefriday

I have been looking at record players too. I want a Victrola.

• justwantapool

I have one of those that’s small and just sits in the shelf. But I’d like it more substantial. If not the console, I also saw a phot where someone used a bar cart and had the player on the top and albums on the bottom. That was neat.

And on another thread the lady bought some clear display clips to hang on the wall and it didn’t seem hard to take them down. So I could do that above the cart and make a little vignette.

• pennydesign

I have a Victrola...and the records. I love the way it sounds...But it weighs about the same as an elephant....

• ilikefriday

A friend of mine has one and I have wanted one for years. I love the sound. I had no idea they were so heavy. I want the kind that stands tall, about chest high.

• pennydesign

Yes, that's what mine is...there's upper doors and lower doors...the upper doors act as a "speaker" and the lower doors hold the records.

Right now it's in my bedrooms which is a bit British Colonial-ish. I figured expats would have taken stuff like that with them :-/

I swear none of my rooms ever get finished. I lose momentum, somehow :) Or I get bored.

• ilikefriday

Penny that happens to me all the time. Especially with painting. I dont think I have ever finished a painting. I get to a point where I say to myself I will come back to it in a couple of weeks and before I know it years have passed. A few years ago I went around the house and signed all my unfinished paintings and at that moment I decided in my mind that they were finished enough for me. That was liberating.

I bet no one realizes, other than you, that your rooms never get finished. Just like no one realizes I have a house full of previously unfinished paintings. I say previously because they are now signed and I have lifted that burden from my mind. I should call them my previously unfinished, signed and finished pieces of art.

Once you just call it finished the whole thing becomes intentional instead of partially done.

• pennydesign

Friday you do my heart good...

Thank you :)