Software
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_garner69

Compare and contrast please

What is the difference between Monsieur Tillier/Archiduc Joseph and general schablikine? Are they similar? In what ways? Different in what ways? Pictures to show differences?
Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

  • 8 years ago

    There is considerable confusion between 'Mons. Tillier' and 'Archiduc Joseph' and what is called the one on Continent "A" is regarded at t'other on Continent "B".

    Brandon Garner St. Louis area z6 thanked jerijen
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Sheila, yours look wonderful! That light yellow rose behind MT is equally stunning. Beautiful.

    I remember them both from our last visit to the Old Rose garden in New Orleans. Like most other roses there, these were planted well before Katrina and all but a few made it through the flood thanks to the elevation in that part of the park. They are both huge, though General Schablikine not as large as Monsieur Tillier. It could be because of their different locations in the park. I'm not good at taking photos, but I hope these will help seeing differences in their size, shape and bloom color when mature in that climate.

    Monsieur Tillier

    General Schablikine is in the center here (on the left is an absolutely gorgeous Souvenir d'un Ami)

    and this photo doesn't do justice to the beauty of its flower form but the color is right which was difficult to get as it was very sunny when we visited. It had a lighter pink color than Monsieur Tillier.

    Brandon Garner St. Louis area z6 thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    vesfl, the yellow rose is Agnes, and I love her too. She is probably 8 feet tall now. I have 3 from High Country Roses. Your photos are great. It is wonderful to see more mature plants. I also have Souvenir d'un Ami too, so I loved to see that one too.

  • 8 years ago

    'Archduke Joseph' can become a full-size climber in our climate, a feat I'm not sure 'General Schablikine' can emulate. Both are beautiful, AJ possibly with stronger coppery tones than GS.

    Brandon Garner St. Louis area z6 thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 8 years ago

    I love looking at all these roses I don't think I can grow! , Agnes would be Hardy for me and I saw the mother plant and flower at High Country roses. Sheila, how do you find the fragrance on her? I found it very strange, but fascinating none the less. I'm like that about fragrance fragrance so long as it has one I don't care what it is! Lol! :-)

  • 8 years ago

    My Agnes is blooming again in a scattered fashion, vaporvac. The blooms are peachy now. I just smelled the bud below, and thought it smelled classic OGR. I may not have the best sniffer due to allergies.



  • 8 years ago

    They are all so pretty! I SO wish I had the space to grow those magnificent Tea roses! Lisa