Software
Houzz Logo Print
blessings2all

Framing Fragile Antique Garment

8 years ago

Has anyone framed an antique silk garment? If so, please share your method and suggestions, other than "pay a professional framer." I spoke with a few pros who frame collectible sports jerseys and their method includes stapling small plastic tags into the piece,which would damage the piece. Thank you for your assistance.

Boho · More Info


Boho · More Info


Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Are there any natural slits in the garment? I have an antique Asian piece that came in a lucite shadow box. I believe the piece has a large shaped lucite piece inside the garment. I do not know how it is attached to the box. It is large and hanging, so not sure I'll be able to tell much without taking it down. You could make a decorative (and/or disappearing) rod that goes from shoulder to shoulder, and that would be attached to the frame back.

    I had several pieces (beaded evening bag, lace paper doll, and three 1yr dresses) placed in shadow box frames. Most were attached to the velvet backing with needle and thread by the framing shop.

  • 8 years ago

    I would try to find a textile conservationist. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to frame the article. No matter how it's attached, gravity will pull it down.

    My House thanked torreykm
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Allison. No, there are no natural slits in either garment, other than the way that the kimono is constructed. The dragon robe has no slits. Now they are tucked safely away from sunlight, but they were once displayed open-air on muslin wrapped dowels.

    Re: lucite box.... Do you ever see moisture collecting inside the lucite box? I'm worried about condensation collecting inside box, which would lead to rot. Must you hang the box away from AC heat vents?

    I contacted a museum curator a while ago. She suggested sewing the fabric onto cotton and then framing, but I wondered if there any other options/ideas.

  • 8 years ago

    Sewing on to nonacid fabric has long been something that conservators have done. While they may not be of large value it would be better if you found out what their value is. Some that look like tourist trash and are quite valuable. You may want to contact The Nelson they specialize in oriental materials although most I see are Chinese not Japanese to see if they can give you some suggestions on what to do. https://nelson-atkins.org/

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thank you mailfeur01. Non-acid fabric? I wonder if washed cotton muslin would be okay.

    I have a pretty good ideas about their value, which is why I am being cautious with them, especially the blue jifu robe. could keep,them stored, but I really want to display my treasures. The blue one is a jifu- (Chinese Qing Dynasty court robe) and the ivory one is an embroidered 1900s silk kimono (less valuable, but beautiful)

  • 8 years ago

    Youw ould need to wash the muslin in something used for antique quilts...like Orvis....and rinse well in distilled water. I know sever people who have had framed antique Chinese garments.....and also know one who wore one robe as a Halloween costume to a party.....and someone who knew about such things almost accosted her and told her she was slopping punch on a $500 antique!
    I am sure there are sites that will give you directions....but pretty much it's support the fabric, use archival paper and fabric....and things like stamp hinges where appropriate.....and seal it well from bugs and changes in humidity. If it's dry when you frame it, there won't be any condensation.

    My House thanked lindac92
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I do not think muslin would work. Most, I could be wrong, use a certain type of linen along with the archival paper. This article discusses some issues with storing regular fabrics it is from a company that sells the paper but also tells why muslin may not be the best solution. It does not mention the linen but also mentions that the container should breath which rules out plastic boxes. http://www.thelinenlady.com/acidfreetissue.htm

    Edited to add another site. You will have to scroll down but on the right hand side are several articles about textiles. https://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/stains.html

    My House thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thank you all very much!

    I found this site:

    https://museum.gwu.edu/textile-display

    https://museum.gwu.edu/framing-textiles

    I'm still uncertain how to DIY this project. Sadly, there is no other option where I live.

    "Goodbye city life!" -Eva Gabor

  • 8 years ago

    All this talk reminds me I should take a look at a couple of old samplers I have had framed hanging for about 40 years. I know they are on acid free archival board....but I strongly suspect they are touching the glass.

  • 8 years ago

    I framed a child-sized Korean hanbok (dress) using a shadow box frame I ordered online (I think it may have been frames.com or similar). I hung the dress on a lightweight clothes hanger, and hung the hanger on a small nail in the wall. I removed the back from the shadow box frame, and just hung the frame on the wall over the hanbok.