Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Beheading plants 2

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Many posts and great photos of beheding different succulents are posted in THIS THREAD

Recently, I beheaded Gasteraloe 'Flow'. Here is original plant - supported by rocks since it was getting very top heavy, growing few offsets from between the leaves, from stem below leaves and from the roots:

Comments (57)

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

I can’t find the main rosette of my chroma, odd. Just cut this pup from the stump, growing neglected in my bathroom window

Also! This tall, naked E. decora stump was sitting in the same window all winter, and by the time I notIced it was not in fact dead, it had bloomed (!!!) and pupped. This is today, I’ve watered it and the pups have firmed up.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked bunkfree_4a_canada
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Took some phone photos today. Left to right clockwise. Echeveria--either leaf cutting or beheaded. Graptopetalum pentandrum superbum, and with the top in the next photo. Graptoveria 'Bashful' with top in next photo. Hawothiopsis venosa, or whatever it's called now. Tips were cut off and there is new growth. I showed this in the Haworthias thread a few weeks ago, and there is surprisingly good growth.

I like the indoor ones better.

One of three Opuntia paddles I've taken this year, which keeps growing new ones. Original pant below, which was more of a beheading (heheading), when new growth just started on an etiolated plant.

Thses are the easiest to root of anything I have, incliding this one which was more of a carving.

Then there was this. Then another one.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Jeff (5b)
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kd

That decora leaves look really nice! And I wouldn't complain if my chroma looked as god as yours...:)

Jeff

Haha...

Your plants look great. Do you grow opuntia indoors? I don't have any - don't like glochids, and they can get big. But I was tempted few times.

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

I only had the one Opuntia grown from a seed mix that I had indoors. It was unrecognizable until I put it outside last summer. I now have the rooted pads outside in the summer. I'm going to keep one of them and hope that it looks like a regular plant with pads and stuff someday, but I need to keep it small. Not one of my favorites. Those double glochids are wicked--worse than the hook kind. One to stab you that stays on the plant and one to stay in your skin. I don't know how the animals eat these.

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

I am going to collect some opuntia from my parents’ place and attempt them in my yard. They’re obviously hardy below -30! Every year the hills erode and leave them hanging on by mere slips of roots - I’ll rescue those ones.

I’ll send you some chroma pups, if you like Rina! ;)

here’s the top of the decora, well rooted and growing a flamboyant offset (or perhaps inflo). Cat for scale. And I know, I know...it’s gotta get out of that pot! I swear... it was only set in there for rooting :O

Kd

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

bunkfree, I didn't realize Opuntia was hardy until you mentioned it. I just looked it up. So I can just leave it outside? Are there any disadvantages to that? That's weird.

Very nice looking cat. Figuring out what to do with that cutting.

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

If I know Dave, he’s figuring out which part will be most satisfying to munch hahaha.

Not all opuntia are cold hardy, and some more than others from what I gather. Those ones I posted here

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5420133/cacti-and-succulents-out-in-the-world-please-share-your-photos#22702460

are native, and it gets damn cold up here, so I know they’re good and hardy :)

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

:) Dave. Mine was seed grown from a cactus seed mix so I don't know what it is. I guess I'll keep it inside in the winter. Thanks for the link.

--Jeff, although Dave is a fine name too

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

Dave is the cat’s name :-P David when he’s bad, munching my plants haha

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

As my mom used to say, "If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous." Maybe more dangerous without one. In an effort to spend less time on the internet, I seem to be reading things too hastily for quite a while now. Not sure how I misread that.

If my Opuntia ever flowers, maybe I'd be able to identify it.

Three tiny beheaded rooted Aeonium 'Suncup' in a 3"/8cm pot, to atone.

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

My mom said that too. Also “if it was a snake it would’ve bitten you” (re: something I was trying to find that is in plain sight)...and “you’d forget your head if it weren’t attached”. All of which I now say to my daughter :)

Those aeoniums are beautiful. I haven’t acquired any aeoniums yet for my collection.

This is the beheaded top of my E. topsy turvy that needs beheading yet again!

• Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
    5 years ago

When I get any new succulents I always behead them now. Learned that from a lady out in CA. They look so much nicer, stresses them and they grow much faster.

Before and after (Darley sunshine)

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Matt z5b - Greenhouse 10a
  • Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Sometimes I think I buy succulents just to propagate them. Unless they come looking perfect, I always like growing them anew. I didn't know that beheading them would get them going. That's interesting. I sure can see the difference in yours.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beheaded Gasteraloe from original post is still alive. Lower part - original potted stem with roots that I left few leaves on - is much more straight and doesn't need any support. It started growing offsets from the top cut. There are tiny offsets growing from the stem/trunk too (too small to see in photo yet):

These offsets grew in just under a month after beheading.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beheaded Kalanchoe beharensis 'Fang' after procrastinating for year or few :) Plant was very tall - 31" from the soil line. Top was cut off leaving just 2 leaves on the stem:. I took few leaves off the top to have bit of a trunk to stick in the mix:

I left original trunk potted as it was; 2 leaves promptly dried up and fell off. Beheading date was July 20, 2018. This is the trunk today:
    I didn't pot up top yet - no reason, just forgot it! It will be done this weekend :)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

Jeff - we whack back our crotons to older woody growth once or twice a year! LOL Of course, they are growing in our landscape. I am trying to root some cuttings for the first time. Fingers crossed . . .

And I was busy beheading today. These guys had grown long and it was time. Now I have over 50 rosettes callusing and a bunch of leaves to play with. I always have something rooting, but this is more than usual at one time.

Ironically, I just moved about 30 leaf props out to the landscape to make room on my cart. And I have a dozen Sedeveria ready to go next. That "might" make room for these new cuttings. Oh, who am I kidding. I never have enough room! ;-)

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Crenda, I couldn't root the stem cutting. They're super cheap to buy, but it's more fun to keep this one going. I'd like it if it grew more than two shoots. I'm not sure if it will. Maybe a more tender shoot would root easier, then I could chop that off. I don't know.

I would love to have that many cuttings. I don't have the room for the ones I already do.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just wanted to say Thank You to houzz...I wrote them and asked if they could correct my misspelled title - no more Heheading, haha - and they fixed it within 2 days. Great if we get prompt help!!!

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

That's great to hear, except they broke the photos on many setups.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    5 years ago

I have a bunch of hardy paddle cactus to give out for postage only. Has to go priority mail due to weight. Paddles root very easy. Mostly yellow flowers and some with orange in center of yellow flowers.

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

My crassula moonglow took a header out of the window on monday. The plant itself seems OK, thank goodness! Bent the inflos a little but no other damage that I can see. I’ve been putting off the decision to behead or repot because of the blooming. It seems she finally had enough of her tiny pot, and took a dive today off the window shelf.

Would you repot (with support until securely rooted), or behead? If behead, where would you cut? I can only imagine how topheavy it would become if each head grew two more ....

What a mess!

:( I really liked this pot

Kd

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

Bump! Hoping for some opinions on chopping the two-headed monster above :)

Thanks!!!

Kd

5 years ago

Don't you just hate it when your post ends up on page 4...

Myself, I use Gorilla Glue to fix that pot. Did it so many times with so many objects. I would use wooden sticks to support your plant and let it grow on. Maybe some thing like a small tomato cage. If it continues to keep producing more two heads, then remove the top heads and plant up. Either in their own pots or at the base of mother plant to give it a fuller effect. Once the top growth is cut off, it will encourage side growth.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is mine - not as pristine as yours, kd! - it is growing just one stem, no branching. Mine is getting 'crooked' from the length and weight of itself - I would welcome beheading tips too!

Ops! Took a photo and noticed that there is branching on the flower stalk.

I think I'll just snip it below, or perhaps include couple of sets of leaves. That would mean taking at least 1 or perhaps even 2 sets of leaves off to have enough of the stem...

Didn't you behead one before - or some similar plant? (meaning 'stacked'...)

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

Stush, I do have gorilla glue! I will fix it up. The pieces are all sitting by my coffee maker, I didn’t know what adhesive to use so thank you for that tip. I like the idea of putting the chopped heads back in to make a fuller pot.

Holy cow, Rina! Look at that three headed monster :D And yes, I beheaded the one above last fall. Below is the top portion, ready to be repotted, itself. All the leaf-pair sections I cut at that time did not root.

Maybe you could cut yours into thirds? Leave the stump to branch and try rooting that horizontal section and the top?

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Kd, I hate it when that happens. Was is the cat? I would rather knock things over myself because then I don't have to be angry at and then forgive the beloved cat. Our old cat doesn't do that anymore, thankfully. Those are some really nice plants. I should look out for those since they don't take up much room.

Will Gorilla Glue work on plastic watering cans that leak?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

kd

Good idea, I may try that. Your plants are spotless!

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

I love these moonglows! Probably one of my top 10 faves, easily my fave crassula in the collection.

Jeff, it wasn’t a cat this time. (though they’ve definitely dumped their share). It’s usually me knocking em over, but this one just got too big for its britches. My daughter called me at work to tell me “a plant fell and I vacuumed up all the dirt”. My first thought was “Oh no! Which one?” And my second was “oh crap I like that top dressing I would’ve saved it!” Hah! I didn’t know the pot broke until I got home.

I should’ve known it was coming. I’ve been propping it with rocks for a few weeks. It was in that pot wayyyy too long...just located this pic .... taken Oct 2016!!!!

Also found this photo - it seems the beheading actually occurred in April 2017. I thought I’d try to root the small pieces but none made it

oh oh oh edit ... found a couple more, from Nov 2017.

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Why can't they just stay young? They grow up so fast.

Did it have two heads because of pinching, or did it just grow that way? It was so perfect in 2017.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    5 years ago

Three or four weeks ago I beheaded some Sedeveria sorrento. They are coming along nicely (even tho I was out of small pots and used a deli meat tray).

The stems need repotted, but I didn't get around to it. The pot has been knocked over, spilled out and scooped back into the pot. And somehow, life goes on!

It just rained, so everything looks wet.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Crenda 10A SW FL
  • bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

I have quite a few deli and sushi trays going, myself, Crenda. I’ve started keeping the stem/stump part in pots upstairs in neglected windows as a nursery :-P

Jeff, it *was* so pretty and perfect in 2017, sigh. It grew the two heads after I chopped the top off. That’s the rooted top there next to it in the pic.

• Laura F (z9FL)
    5 years ago

My small cutting of E. greenwayii...I thought it was rotting so I chopped the top off to save what I could. Only it wasn't rotting.

I'm not sure this has rooted yet...progress is slow.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Laura F (z9FL)
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Follow-up on beheaded 'Fang' posted Aug.11 (plant was beheaded July 2018). I left top part just sitting in the basket to have some air and kind of forgot about it. Today, I noticed many roots growing thru the basket:

Pulled it out, few roots were broke but there are plenty left:
    Time to pot it up!!!

Few leaves I took off to have a trunk to pot up were also left nearby. All but 1 seem to be growing roots and plantlets:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beheaded this moonglow about 6-8 weeks ago (can't find photo of beheading right now! But photo of original plant is posted upthread on Aug. 8th). Here is the 'lower' half, that is branching/started growing few arms :) Cut on the leaf in foreground is from using a sharp blade...

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

This was beheaded this in the spring, and it grew three perfect rosettes on it, each a little different size, perfectly fit together. Probably Echeveria 'Neon Breakers', but that's a guess. Let me know if you know ID. Probably not frilly enough for Pink Frills, which I think I have also, and definitely not Shaviana.

3" pot.

• Allison
    5 years ago

Success beheading a sad $1 clearance plant:

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Allison
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just a follow-up on beheaded moonglow; all 'parts' have survived except I tiny piece consisting from 2 leaves. Here is the lower part of trunk, very top and one section of leaves:

Thank you kd for encouraging me to do it :)

• jp10a
    5 years ago

It has become a way of life for me in propagating small growing Brazilian cereoid cacti - I am constantly beheading stems in order to provide new plants. Cuttings taken in the early spring are fully rooted by autumn and, in the case of Arrojadoas and smaller Micranthocereus, produce flowers at that time.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked jp10a
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jp

I never beheaded cacti (have only few anyways), and admire your collection and very successful propagating. Will have to try doing it, since one of the cacti (probably cleistocactus?) I have is getting bit tall - wouldn't be problem except it is getting too tall for my winter shelving space...

• jp10a
    5 years ago

Cleistocactus cuttings have always rooted well for me, Rina. I like to take and root Cuttings from Pereskia portulacifolia - I think they make nice Bonsai style potted plants:

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked jp10a
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jp

Those look great! I do not have that plant - added to the wish list :)

I beheaded this Kalanchoe orgyalis 'Copper Spoons' . Here is the original stem with roots, growing few branches (on left) and beheaded cutting, that rooted, is growing few branches and bloomed in summer (right pic):

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Two weeks ago I beheaded 70 Echeveria that were way past due. Today they have new homes.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Great job Bikerdoc. Some look good enough to eat. Like the flowering cabbage!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another update - beheaded Crassula moonglow (lower part of plant; previous update on Dec.27/18) growing quite well:

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

xGasterloe - beheaded in July 2018 (some photos in 1st post). Here are comparison photos - how did they do in 1 year.

Bottom (with roots); Juy 2018 on left, July 2019 on right:

Behaded top then and now (rock was supportng original top, it has been removed):

Couple of the pups (I can see that they have been shaded by other plants-moved them to more open spot today):

• Jeff (5b)
    4 years ago

That trunk is so cool on the second photo.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Update for those interested - beheaded xGasteraloe keeps growing:

Left: one of the pups; middle: original bottom-trunk with more pups on back side; right: original top, beheaded. There are couple of more pups somewhere...

• Amynoacids (z6 MI)
    4 years ago

Beheading & de-puppingppupping today

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Amynoacids (z6 MI)
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Amyno

Lots of new plants!

Here is Kalanchoe tomentosa I beheaded (posted probably in thread #1). I left stem with roots potted, and it grew some offsets (left photo) - too bad I left such long stem. Beheaded top is in photo on right: