Software
Houzz Logo Print
dan_koeppel

What cooktop did you choose? And why?

8 years ago

Just beginning a project. We could go with either gas or induction, just looking for basic tips and recommendations....

Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago
    Gas...creature of habit. I also use my grandparents cookware and I wasn’t interested in buying newer sets that were approved. Also when I clean glass windows there are always streaks..sounds dumb but o knew streaks on the cooktop or scratches would drive me crazy. Can’t roast a marshmallow on indication. Friends that have induction them love them due to speed....
  • 8 years ago

    I also use my grandparents cookware and I wasn’t interested in buying newer sets that were approved.

    Actually any cookware that a magnet works with including cast iron will work on induction.

    Also when I clean glass windows there are always streaks..sounds dumb but o knew streaks on the cooktop or scratches would drive me crazy.

    My cooktop has no streaks on it.

    Can’t roast a marshmallow on indication.

    Very true but I roast my marshmallows on my gas grill outside.

    Friends that have induction them love them due to speed....

    And for all the other reasons stated.

  • 8 years ago

    Speed is great, but this is probably the feature that I appreciate the least! I love the low end..... melting butter, chocolate, holding hollandaise etc. that I couldn't do with my previous pro style gas range.

    I am also an induction convert. It was probably the best "surprise" in my new kitchen (I thought it would be good, but am surprised at how much I love it!)


  • 8 years ago

    I can't even imagine what a mess a roasted marshmallow dropped on a gas cooktop would be to clean up. I'd probably just buy a new cooktop.

  • 8 years ago

    Induction for control and cleanliness.

  • 8 years ago

    I love my gas stove. We are remodeling and I made a conscious choice to keep it, even though a replacement stove would have been in the budget.


    But then, a major part of our cooking is done in a round-bottom wok and that simply works better with a good (!) gas stove. So, my needs might be different from many other home chefs.


    Also, there still is a bit of variation in the quality of induction cooktops. I don't like touch controls, and I prefer controls in the front. These are available for induction, but it limits your choices.


    Other things to check is how much power you can get when all your burners are in use. Some induction cooktops have limitations where you have to reduce power in this situation. With gas, that's obviously not a problem.


    A similar question comes up when using odd-sized pots. Some cooktops can deal with pots that straddle multiple burners, but then they sometimes have restrictions when you do that.


    You also will sometimes have restrictions on the size of your pot. With a good gas stove, that's usually not an issue.


    This is not to say that induction is bad. In fact, you'll find a lot of people here who absolutely love their inductions stoves. But you should make sure you understand the limitations of the particular model that you are considering. You don't want to discover that a cooking technique that you regularly rely on is simply not possible with your particular stove.


    In fact, the same is true for gas. It's just that with gas stoves it's a lot more obvious to spot the limitations, if you chose a less capable model of stove.

  • 8 years ago

    But then, a major part of our cooking is done in a round-bottom wok and that simply works better with a good (!) gas stove. So, my needs might be different from many other home chefs.

    You can buy a ring for wok cooking that transfers the heat up the sides.

    You also will sometimes have restrictions on the size of your pot. With a good gas stove, that's usually not an issue.

    I have no restrictions on the size of my pots. The cooktop senses the size.

    As for your other issues you bring up, I have found I do not have the problem with my Bosch and any of the other better brands should not have that problem.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    We bought the Wolf 36" Induction top, and love it. I like the flexibility and hob positions. Most of the 36" induction tops have the large hob in the middle, which is very limiting when you want multiple pots on the stove. The Wolf has the large hob on the right. In addition, you can bridge all four of the smaller hobs in twos or fours, side to side and front to back. The simmer is super low, and the boost is incredibly fast. Cleanup is easy, and the top always looks good. We had gas for 20 years, and I will never go back. I would suggest going to an appliance center that has both working tops on display and check them out in action. We went to Yale in Boston and the Clark Experience Center for demos, and followed up at our local appliance dealer with our own pans when it got closer to making a decision. Some pots "sing" and some do not. It really depends on the pot, the level you're using, and the cooktop. I don't find the noise any louder or more bothersome than hearing the hiss of a gas burner. Also, many don't mention or realize that ventilation needs are much lower for induction than gas. You need venting basically for odors and grease. We have the Wolf downdraft on a peninsula, and the combo is great.

  • 8 years ago

    Another induction lover here. There is absolutely no downside. I have a gas range in one house and induction cooktop in the other- there is no contest which is better. I love ho responsive induction is and how easy to clean up. It is a joy to use.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    If you live where you might experience power outages, consider gas. I opted for induction, not wanting to have to install propane. I agree with others on the many benefits. BUT. Shortly after installation, we had a significant storm and were without electricity for a week. Boy, did I miss my old gas range.

  • 8 years ago

    If you live where you lose power for a week not much is going to be left in your frig to cook on gas or induction. You should have a generator. In my life we only lost power that long the time the whole east coast went out. Once in a lifetime event.

  • 8 years ago

    dan, we live in the land of many week-long power outages. Generator is the only way to prevent rampant food loss here. We buy a quarter cow and a whole sheep worth of meat every year from a local farm. Losing power for more than a couple of days would be catastrophically expensive.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You should also know that not all gas ranges can be used during a power outage, so if you are choosing gas because you want to use it in a power outage, ensure that it can be operated without electricity or put in a backup generator (I chose the generator because I don't want to lose my fridge/freezer contents either).

  • 8 years ago

    Induction! Great control without the heat or fumes. And much easier to clean. I've used both and much prefer induction. I did have to replace about 1/4 of my cookware (not my cast iron wok or frying pan), but it was well worth it.

  • 8 years ago

    Gas (actually propane) here. We have induction in our restaurant, and it's not nearly as responsive and easy to clean as I see people claim here.

    Plus, I think a range top is way sexier.

  • 8 years ago
    We redid our kitchen last year and I had the same dilemma between gas and induction. I chose the Samsung Chef Collection Induction and haven't regretted it for a minute. I love the fact that I can boil water in no time at all or just simmer things slowly. The glass top always looks clean and while I have one oven door, I can actually put a divider in and cook 2 separate things at 2 separate temperatures. The warming drawer on the bottom is great for holidays! Best of luck to you with whatever you chose!
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert