Software
Houzz Logo Print
rosefollyz5

Re-doing the front garden

8 years ago

It will still have lots of roses in it, though not quite so many.


Last week Tom had shoulder replacement surgery, from which he is recovering even better than we had hoped. While he was in the hospital I had three days to admire the hospital's Atrium Garden, which was stunning. It is one of the loveliest gardens I have ever seen. Now that garden has more shade than mine has, a slightly lower temperature, and uses more water than I have to spare, but there were things about it that I can use here at home.


First, and probably the most important part, is a narrow color range. I started out with a color scheme 20 years ago but have since slipped in this and that until these days there is no such things as a color scheme. The atrium garden was about 60% white flowers. It makes the green show up more vividly, which is very cooling. The other flowers are about 20% light to medium blues/purples, and 20% light to medium pinks, no reds, oranges, or yellows. I'm going to do this (mostly) with some exceptions. The main one exception is my Cl Crimson Glory which I got from Jackie, and which is finally taking off for me. I worked to hard to get it going, and I want to keep it. As it is on the outer fence in the background I don't think it will disturb the total effect. I'm also including a few very soft yellows in the form of Cl Lady Hillingdon and Bouquet d'Or, already in place and doing well. Brighter yellows such as 'Moonshine' yarrow will have to go, just too intense. Right now I'm in the process of removing plants. Four of my roses going off to new homes.


The second key part is the addition of dappled shade. In our brilliant California sun, many plants that can take full sun in other parts of the country simply fry here. So-called sun-tolerant hydrangeas are a noted example. So I am introducing a second small shade tree. I already have a decent sized crape myrtle in the corner by the road. I'm adding a Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star' as well. I plan to prune it to an open shape as it grows. It won't add a lot of shade, just a bit, making the ground beneath it lightly dappled. Even at maturity it will be small enough not to come close to the house and be near the roof. There is a third spot where I might add another very small tree in a year or two. Right now it is getting a small white gaura as a placeholder. I had thought of a Korean dogwood but I believe they get too big.


The final element is that I will water it as much as the plants require. I've cut back water elsewhere, but this part of the garden will get about an inch a week. I've taken out enough planting areas that I think I can afford to water this one, not to abundance, but to good health.


Rosefolly



Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago

    Great news on Tom’s recovery! And the garden plans sound very promising—I love that color scheme! :-)

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 8 years ago

    Best wishes on Tom's recovery. I love the idea of more whites and I never thought of it as bringing the green more. Loving the idea very much . Good luck and hope to see the pics one day :)

    Jin

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Sounds good to me. I have an area in the yard where the color scheme somewhat accidentally worked out to cool green, white, gray-blue, cream, and it is definitely refreshing in the summer heat.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 8 years ago

    I wish Tom all the best, so glad he's recovering nicely. Your color scheme sounds lovely, especially to one who is drowning in a sea of pink. Lady Hillingdon sounds perfect with white. Can't wait to see pictures!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    I’m glad Tom is recovering well, and that you had a lovely spot to enjoy while he was hospitalized. Your plans sound wonderful! I also have decided that I need more white in the garden. I’ve been struggling with the combination of pure white blooming flowers and off white/cream colored flowers. Do you plan to use both, or stick with the true whites? I like the look of both, but I’m not sure about combining them. Maybe separating them with something else helps? Lisa

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    Rosefolly, I love your plan

    This year I brought in several whites and they glow. I always think that white is under used.

    This year I added 2 white Rose of Sharon for something to break up all of my roses.

    I cant wait to see how it all turns out.

    Im glad your husband is on the mend.


    Rosefolly z5 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks for all the kind wishes for Tom. Surgery is always scary.

    Kristine, I too think white is underused. I didn't used to be interested in it but have become more and more attracted to it in recent years.

    Melissa, how nice to have such a happy accident. I love it when things come together all by themselves like that.

    Ingrid, I like yellow with white, too. Lady H can go from deep yellow to cream depending on the time of year.

    Jin, far too soon for pictures. All you'd see these days would be holes where I removed plants. Everything new is still pretty small.

    Lisa, I just don't know. I just struggled with the shades of white to paint the walls of our house. It is true that not all whites are the same. I'm planning to aim for true white when I can but realize that I won't always get it. I can always move something that doesn't work. It's not as though I've never done it!

    Sheila and Perma, it is an adventure. I think I was getting bored with my old version of the garden.


    Rosefolly

  • 8 years ago

    "A garden that is finished is a garden that is dead." I forget who said that, but agree. No risk of our garden dying anytime soon if that's the criterion.

    Really, I was so seized with the possibilities of color scheming that I forgot about Tom's surgery. Pass on to him my good wishes! We're a bit creaky here, so I know, both that joint damage happens, and that one can recover from it. I hope he heals well and gets back to his activities in good time.

    I agree with you about there being different whites. Personally I've never cared for brilliant white in flowers, rugosas being the only roses that have this color. I go for the many varieties that are white tinged buff or pink or honey: 'Mme. Alfred Carriere' and 'Sharifa Asma' both read white to me; 'Mme. Jules Bouche' and 'Mme. Zoetmans' are two other examples. Indubitably white roses like 'Alba Maxima' still manage to avoid that eye-scouring chill brilliance of rugosas and (for example) ox-eye daisies. A rose that is really white and yet not brilliant is the musk rose. I call this a milky white, and don't know how the color achieves that effect. 'Dupontii', supposed to be an offspring, is pink upon opening (it took my sister to point this out to me) but turns a similar milky white.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Rosefolly I think it sounds great. Pass on my best wishes to your husband. I hope he heals fast.

    I just started really adding whites to my garden last year. So waiting for them to mature. I have a fortuniana rose that I got from bluegirl. It's getting pretty big. Getting mature. It gets covered in blooms every year. And every year the late frost take them. I did finally see 2 or 3 blooms this year that somehow escaped the frost. I do also have some more white ramblers in the ground. But they are small still. Mostly I'm waiting on the garden to mature.

    There are some more gallicas and hybrid chinas I would like to add as well. I'm obsessed with these beauties. They are still the ones I look most forward to in Spring. They make my heart flutter, and bring a smile to my face just thinking about them IMO there is no comparison. I love all of my Rose's, but I am in love with my hybrid chinas and gallicas.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Alana8aSC
  • 8 years ago

    My favorite white is Bolero. It has lovely green foliage and blooms continuously.



    And then there are white fillers


    I just ordered Desdamona and recently planted Earth Angel

    I guess I am on a white kick right now so pretty excited to see how your new plantings work out.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 8 years ago
    In my front yard I have tried to stay with a limited pallet. I have blues, some white and pinks. But the tall roses are more sunset colors. (Buff Beauty, CL Royal Sunset (I think) and Opal Brunner

    I should have stuck with warm toned pinks. The two cool tone ones stand out but it is okay they were moms favorite
    Rosefolly z5 thanked Kippy
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    It's not just color that is changing, but form as well.

    Down from 21 to 14 roses in the front garden (many others on the fence and the porch garden in the back). The roses are mostly climbers and located all along the edges. I truly am getting my "walls of roses" that I had in mind when I first began this garden back in 1996 or so, which by no coincidence is when I started posting on Gardenweb. In the space between the roses are/will be three small trees. The largest is an established tree-form crape myrtle, and newly planted two smaller Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star'. I bought one as a 15 gallon plant to get some size going. It is too late to make it a single trunk tree, but I pruned it down to the three best trunks. As it grows I'll keep it pruned to an open form with the branching high. I want to create dappled shade, not Mirkwood Forest. Think multi-stemmed tree, not shrub. The other is still on order, a younger 5 gallon plant so I ought to be able to train it to a single trunk. In between all this will be mostly lower growing plants, ankle high and knee high with occasional taller exclamation points - foxgloves, lilies, maybe a few delphiniums, with a few clematis plants trained on airy wire supports- Asao, Gillian Blades, Rhapsody, and Gipsy Queen. That last one is really too dark a purple for the color scheme but very pretty. At this point I am keeping a of the few dark purples and I will evaluate the effect as things fill in. I am taking out my 'Purple Dome' asters and replacing them with 'Wood's Blue'.

    To my eye this all adds a sense of clarity and peace to the garden. It had begun to look jumbled even when freshly weeded and deadheaded. I want more of fewer plants. My new rule is to plant perennials in 5's or 7's instead of 3's. It's hard to change. I have to keep reminding myself.

    We'll see how well it goes in time. I may need to tweak it further, but this feels like a good start.

    Rosefolly

  • 8 years ago

    It sounds wonderful, Rosefolly, eminently sensible and doable, which will result, I'm sure, in a truly gorgeous space. I can only repeat - pictures!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    I like the sound of your plans, too: abundance--climbing roses are great for this if you don't have unlimited space or garden help--and clarity. And shade, a feature that I appreciate more with every blazing summer that passes.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8