Software
Houzz Logo Print
ginnabauhan

studio apartment 250 sf

8 years ago
I am looking for layout / decorating suggestions for a studio apartment I will be living in during the week due to work commute. Plan to have a full/double black iron and brass bed. There is not a closet but I have found a nice stand up shelf, full length mirror and hanging rack all in one. There is an unused door on the left wall middle. Thank you for any suggestions. Wall color is SW Antique White.

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    My first item would be a murphy bed so that you could at least have people over even for a glass of wine.

  • 8 years ago
    Patricia- thank you. So you don’t like the double/full iron bed thought? I already have it so was thinking I could save by not purchasing a new one. I do need to purchase a mattress.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    A full bed is something like 4'-6" x 6'-6" if memory serves. So if you tuck the bed into a corner you'll have a little bit of room for a small seating arrangement.

    The way this space lays out, the key is the area below the kitchenette. It looks like there might *just* enough room for a small table and a couple chairs, when the entry door is open.

    If true, that can serve as your eating space and will open up the rest of the space for a small seating arrangement elsewhere, if the full bed is tucked into a corner.

    All that said, if you're truly looking to *maximize* your space, then a Murphy bed, futon or some other foldable/dual use furniture is the way to go

    Gina thanked M Doshi
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thank you all very much. This is my first time posting on Houzz.

  • 8 years ago

    Murphy beds are very expensive. I have fond memories of my studio apartments. I think the best option is an extra long day bed (not standard length) with a pop up trundle for guests.




  • 8 years ago

    You also could buy a futon, easy to move and it’s cheap, you’d have more room left for sitting and dining area.

  • 8 years ago
    My cousin had a long iron daybed when we were growing up many years ago. I love it! Brings back great memories. The Murphy beds I’ve looked into are about $1,400 + and I will only be in this spot until the end of May (unless I renew the lease); hesitant to spend that much especially with 2 girls in college. I’m going to try and think of it as a hotel room where I can stay if inclement weather, I need to work late, etc.
    Thank you all!
  • 8 years ago

    I wouldn’t worry about entertainment space but concentrate on making it comfortable to you when you get home. It is a kind of hotel room.

    Besides the bed, is there someplace comfortable to sit. I would also want a minimal type of table that could double as both a small working area and to eat from.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree with Helen...this isn't really your home, just a place to plop yourself after a long day at work. I would make it comfortable on the the cheap (like a dorm room). That doesn't mean it can't be pretty. Your bed will probably be used for lounging...maybe get a comfy chair and tv and call it good. Get some pretty linens (splurge on these, but for me 50 dollar sheets are splurging). Go to TJMaxx for everything including some frames for family photos and your comforter...probably can get a chair there, too.

    I would center the bed under the window (hate having the bed against the wall because of trying to make it, so I would give up 12 inches to squeeze over there). The tv could go on the wall shared with the bathroom and a small chair can go near the door. I would get a table on casters and a folding chair so you can seat 2...

    Keep it simple and happy...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Have you looked at www.apartmenttherapy.com?

    For example, here: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-layout-a-studio-apartment-220821

    Honestly, unless your bed is super high, in a pinch, I would use it for seating as well. Add pillows and/or bolster and a blanket.

    Or get a futon on Craigslist.