Software
Houzz Logo Print
lovemygsp

Backsplash help

8 years ago

Hi there! I have dark brown espresso cabinets and white quartz counters. I’m trying to decide how to do the backsplash. The safe boring choice is white subway tile. I’d rather not go that route though.


Any suggestions?


I’ve attached a picture of our kitchen. It’s not a great picture but you get the idea. Pendants are now a bronze barn triangle type thing. Paint color will be changing at some point in the future too. Most likely a grey based color.



One idea I had was a Calcatta gold subway tile but I’m not sure if that’s a dumb idea or great one.


Comments (17)

  • 8 years ago
    Paint first, then decide.
    Megan Smith thanked K R
  • 8 years ago
    I love how your cabinets look with the floor! For the backsplash, I would not do simple subway tile but would look for beautifully patterned and colored cement tiles.
    Megan Smith thanked Marta
  • 8 years ago

    warm cabs, warm floor,.. go with a warm b/s. bring home samples to see in your space. look at them in the day time, at night, for a week or so.

    you can go crazy or calm, depends on the look you want. just go "warm".

    pick your b/s, then paint. paint can be matched to anything today.

    Megan Smith thanked sprtphntc7a
  • 8 years ago

    You have a solid colored counter top, solid cabinets...I would do a back splash with either a pattern or a shape that has movement. I would paint last.

    Megan Smith thanked lucky998877
  • 8 years ago

    I think Calacatta subway would be a great backsplash for you. I would get slightly larger than usual tiles- maybe stack them in a grid for a more modern touch. Can you get some samples and play with them?

  • 8 years ago

    I didn't find many images with dark cabinets and Calacatta subway tile. Here are two:


    Megan Smith thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Thanks for the replies so far! You all are being so helpful!

    Painting before isn’t an option as my ceilings are 24ft and will require a professional and that’s not in the budget this year. The walls are getting gross though and we need a backsplash ASAP. We went under contract a week too late to be able to pick paint color and I hate hate hate the yellow toned SW Antique white. I painted my bathroom alabaster and it looks much better. But I think with the living room being so light and open alabaster might get washed out and blend with trim. Ah decisions.

    Kulrn: I actually love something similar... https://tilebar.com/vzag-white-gold.html but my house is all open. Plus I fear it might date quickly. I thought about making a feature spot with it over the stove though. Then doing calcatta gold for the rest. I wish there were more tile options with gold pops.

    Rita: Do you all think a 4x12 tile is big enough or should I go bigger? I think the other size I saw was 6x18. The space between my bar and sink is 4 inches so 4x12 would be ideal to not have To make difficult cuts.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Do you have a Tile Shop near you? They have beautiful displays, mostly of bathrooms with a few kitchens. If you browse through the aisles, you’ll have an emotional reaction to certain boards or displays. Then you can start to narrow it down. I always go through the whole store and look at everything before I choose tile for a new project. Everything is at eye level so you can see it up close, and you can move and compare boards and play a little. Looking at Internet pictures doesn’t work. Bring your other sample finishes into the store: countertop, cabinet, paint, hardware, etc.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


  • 8 years ago

    Whatever you do, don't do an accent tile. That would date it more than anything.

  • 8 years ago
    I love glass subway tile for your space. They have many colors.
  • 8 years ago
    Hi Megan,

    I am not a designer, but recently did a complete kitchen reno, and am very pleased with it. Are walls staying that colour, or are you changing it once you choose a backsplash? Since all of your surfaces are plain, I think you need some pattern to add interest. I would take a sample of your cabinet colour, countertop, and large paint chip (unless you plan to change it) to your tile shop. Find 2-3 backsplash samples that you love and complement your samples. Borrow the backsplash samples you like best to see how they work in your kitchen in both daylight and artificial light. That technique worked well for me. If you plan to change paint colour, use this same process. With paint, you can also buy a small sample to try on the wall.

    Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • 8 years ago

    https://tilebar.com/nimbus-gray-blend-bricks-marble-glass-tile.html      This is it! LOL And you have to paint the kitchen later a tone from this backsplash that matches also your floor that is beautiful. White, or the tan/taupe in this tile, would work because of the black cabinets, but you can see all your current colors in the fireplace surround example, including the gray painted wall you are considering. A lighter shade of gray, almost ash or silver might be nicer in a kitchen, so the light is not all absorbed by the cabinet and the wall... Nice backsplash here..The white around this fireplace mimics your counters, etc etc..<https://tilebar.com/nimbus-gray-blend-bricks-marble-glass-tile.html>   The pictures are NOT blurry in the link here I promise. They would not download here with out a blur, probably from the thumbnail to larger size here blurred them.





  • 8 years ago

    Tilebar.com has 5 for$5 samples. I also went to a local tile shop and bought several samples to see in the kitchen. It's amazing how quickly you can narrow it down that way. Also, there is such a wide range of prices/sqft. It may help to set your budget first so your eyes aren't bigger than your wallet!

    Megan Smith thanked kulrn
  • 8 years ago

    Nimbus Gray Blend Bricks Marble & Glass Tile again. On the tilebar.com website, just search for the title here, and it should come up. I see the link is a fail, when I click on it from my post above..

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks again everyone!

    My budget is about $20/sqft. But I’m willing to go up if needed since I’m doing the work. My pipe dream is the dwell studio hex twist like so....

    But $60/sqft is pretty steep.


    We do have a large tile place I went to yesterday but the lady helping me seemed new or something and it took 20 minutes to answer ever question I had because she had to go ask someone else. Finally I asked if they had anything like calacatta gold in a 4 inch wide subway tile. The only thing she found was beveled and I hated it. Maybe I’ll try emailing them instead.

    While searching on here I found the perfect tile but I can’t find the manufacturer. I also think the paint color would be a good option but again this designer isn’t very forthcoming on supplies. Bummer.


    Bayou Kitchen · More Info