Software
Houzz Logo Print
loribailey28

HELP me update 1988 kitchen!!

8 years ago
Please help me! My husband and I are looking to update our kitchen. We are looking on getting new floors, countertops and backsplash, lighting and cabinet pulls. Our cabinets are in good shape and replacing them is not in the budget. Plus my husband does not want me to paint them! He likes the wood and I'm ok with that but don't know how to get away from the awful 80s golden yellow tone! We have talked about trying to restain or glaze them but that scares me to death! I want the kitchen to look classic and timeless. IWe are extending the island to add barstools. If this was your kitchen, what would you do? The cabinets? What color quartz countertops? What backsplash? What type of flooring? Would you use the same flooring throughout the kitchen and eating area? I have spent HOURS looking at pictures and am now more confused then ever!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (38)

  • 8 years ago
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Unless you want to refinish the cabinets they are what they are. The first investment I would make is a counter depth fridge. IMO you do not have space to enlarge the island you barely have the proper walk space now. Clean the cabinets well with TSP remove the curvy piece at the window. Can you get the flooring to match the rest of your flooring because if you can’t I would leave the floor.Couyld you maybe show a couple more pics of the kitchen space like to the right of the island where it looks like you have a table.Change the pulls to stainless , choose a nice simple counter and get rid of the red paint.

  • 8 years ago

    First I would paint the window and door trim and baseboard white to match windows. Remove the scallop valance. Leave floor. Take the shelves off the end of the island. Do not add on to the end of island it will be awkward to walk around.


    Some quartz ideas from cambriausa.com They have a paint match tool on their website to help once you've chosen the countertop.






  • 8 years ago

    following

  • 8 years ago
    Taking the valance and scalloped trim down, replacing the back slash, putting in stainless steel appliances, and adding new countertops will make a world of difference! Can’t wait to see the finished project!
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    While replacing the counter, replace the sink with a single-bowl undermount style, and replace the faucet to something more current-looking. New pulls on the cabinets and drawers in shiny polished chrome.

    I think I'd leave the floor alone. It's a big undertaking to rip up the floor and replace it; may not be worth it. The other changes I mentioned and in the posts above may be enough (SS appliances, remove valence/curtains, replace counters, no red paint). Do the other changes, and then see whether you still need to change the floor.

  • 8 years ago

    Epoxy grout colorant on the dark grout. Get rid of the grid.

    Add recessed and under cabinet lighting and get rid of the giant fluorescent.

    The rest isn’t bad at all.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like your oak wood tone. Less yellow more of a brown than most. I might remove the round shelves on your island and square the counter for a more present look. A new counter depth fridge and remove the curtain,but I think wood valances are really sweet so I would leave yours. New hardware pulls and lighting. And If possible I might extend the wood floors you have in the dining room into the kitchen or do as Sophie suggests.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I like the countertop choices jck910 is showing. 2 of which I was going to suggest. Although it would add to cost, if you remove the shelf on the end of the island, consider a water-fall end for the countertop. Also, I'd paint out the burgundy/red above your cabinets with a light paint to heighten & brighten. Otherwise I like all that has been pointed out above. Most definitely the handles.

  • 8 years ago

    I like your cabinets. You are fortunate they aren't the dreaded "honey" oak.


    I agree with previous advice about the refrigerator and LIGHTING. Here are the other aesthetic (and easy) changes I would make...


    1. Get rid of the valances - both wood and fabric.

    2. Replace counters with a charcoal or black surface, and get a single bowl sink.

    3. New backsplash in a warm white with matching grout.

    4. Replace hardware with a dark metal like iron.

    5. Remove microhood and install a stainless hood.

    6. Repaint walls.


    I don't like tile floors, but they really are such a pain to remove. I love Sophie's suggestion to epoxy the grout! Then find a couple of old oriental runners and lay them down.


    Nicole

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You've gotten some good advice so far! Changing the cabinet pulls will also make a big difference. Here are a few ideas to get you started!



    Sherwood Cabinet Pulls in Vintage Bronze · More Info


    Alesund Collection · More Info


    Douglas Cabinet Collection · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    No waterfall counter! That is a been there, done that trend. Your kitchen has great bones. Quite a classic space in fact. Follow the advice on pulls, valence, grout, and you’ll be way ahead of the game for minimal cash outlay.

  • 8 years ago

    I like the above suggestions. Your kitchen and dining area is very homey and comfy. If you plan on keeping the chandelier that's above the table, I would go with ORB fixtures to keep the warmth. Your cabinets read a bit rustic to me and ORB or black pulls would work well (if you want to stick with a more rustic theme).

    I like the idea of a darker countertop too. Something like soapstone or Virginia Mist granite. I just switched from a double bowl to a single bowl stainless sink and love it. Or, if you want a more rustic or cottage look, go with a farmhouse sink. I would remove the bench on the right. You don't have enough room for seating at your island (the doors of the cabinets are on the wrong side anyway) but I would remove the curved piece. I like Sophie's idea of darkening the grout on the floor.

    Do you have any inspiration pictures? Do you want something more sleek and modern (in which case your table won't go at all) or do you want to work with what you have and stay more cozy/rustic?

  • 8 years ago
    Get rid of the red, the curtain valance, and the curvy wood valance bridge over the sink. Replace appliances with stainless. Replace the handles and pulls. Maybe remove curved bookcase end of island and replace with regular bookcase set-up.
    If you widen the island counter for stools facing the sink, keep the walking space wide enough so people on stools won't block traffic plan.
    Granite counters are pricey but gorgeous....and they come in many colors. Most solid surface counters are good except marble in kitchens. Backsplash is best if it matches one of the light colors in the counter materials.
    Be sure to update electrical and plumbing systems if they haven't been done in ten years.
  • 8 years ago
    If you are not opposed to dark cupboards, you could easily transform them with a gel stain. You can apply it like a paint for full coverage, or control the light/darkness by wiping it down between coats. I used General's Java gel stain to update our 1990's golden oak staircase. I chose to go full coverage, but the wood grain pattern is still nicely visible. Here is our cat perched on the finished railing and the unfinished part is in the background. Best wishes for your update!
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks emilyam! My kitchen is in my "my pics" idea book. Here are a few pics:

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854052

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~109854029


    I also have a "wood kitchens" idea book which includes some refreshed older kitchens.

    https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens


    "Timeless" is not really possible, but taking into account the overall age and style of your home helps a kitchen look like it fits the space. Since my kitchen cabinets are older and since I like the "old house" look, I went more vintage in style.


    There are several pretty laminate, granite and quartz counters that look pretty with wood cabinets. I prefer light colors because I like a light space. Look for a touch of some small bit of cream or beige in the counter. There is a very small amount of beige and warmer colors in my countertop which help it to work with the warm tones. Wood cabinets have movement due to the grain and variation in wood tone. Countertops work best if any movement in the counter is muted as you step back and backsplash should be very simple. Take a light color from the countertop and pick a simple tile. Do not pick backsplash till the new counters are in. A backsplash with lots of movement combined with wood cabinets is usually visually too busy, even if individually each surface is lovely - keep it simple and light.


    Do add under cabinet lighting to the list of things to do, even if you only do between the sink and range. It is the most functional change I made - and I am always grateful for it when daylight savings time ends and it is dark when I am cooking diner. I leave mine on most of the day because it adds a pretty glow to the kitchen. Mine started out as DIY that plugged in an outlet, then an electrician wired it into a switch for me.


    You might consider replacing one or more wood panels in upper doors with glass. A carpenter can router out the panel and a glass place can install a piece of glass. I used a kit to do a plate rail - just a style I like and went with the vintage feel.


    Your microwave looks new, but if not, consider a stainless hood. It will vent better, look better and open up the cooking space. I am short and do not like reaching up and over my head for food. If you like the over the range microwave that is fine, but if you think you may ever replace it with a hood, take it down and tile behind or reserve enough backsplash tile to fill in the space later.


    I agree that simply lightening the grout will save you the expense of a new floor. This pic shows white, but a light gray would be better - white is hard to keep clean:



    My sink is a "short apron" Kohler Whitehaven which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. There is also a "tall apron" which requires a apron front sink base cabinet. I really like my sink, but it was expensive, and I put off my refresh a few months to save up for it. I found less expensive apron front sinks, but they required an apron front cabinet and more labor to install - in the end the Whitehaven was the best deal for a durable apron front sink. If you go with laminate counters, the Kohler Vault makes a stainless apron front in the "short apron" style that also comes in a drop in style. That said it is not every one's style, but did work for my more vintage /cottage feel.


    My mother also has similar cabinets. A few had some water damage and a refinisher came in and redid just the damaged ones. This was several years ago and I can't tell the refinished from the older. Just a thought if any cabinets are showing wear.


    You may find you need to refresh over time. You can always paint the walls if you want a lighter space. I do have white window and door trim. I sew so my window treatment gets changed out occasionally - right now it is a faux roman shade. Do the lighting first - though even before that, do a thorough clean out - not because you need to - just because that alone makes most people like their kitchen more. If it works for your lifestyle, consider moving things not used daily off the counters. Consider the mixer in the corner if there is no storage for it and the knives in a drawer and store the blender unless you use it daily.


    Counters and backsplash can come last. You have a pretty and functional kitchen now so don't rush things.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Oh, I love your kitchen! It's not "the latest thing" but it's so homey. I think the best changes would be:

    1) Stainless steel fridge and dishwasher (the black contrasts too much with the cabinets and your light counters which I think you should keep.)

    2) Stainless steel or nickel hardware

    3) Lighten the floor grout

    4) Add undercabinet lighting and change/add ceiling lighting to equal ~35 lumens per square foot.

    5) Swap out the over-the-range microwave for a exhaust hood that vents outside.

    5) Remove the valance curtain as well as the wooden cabinet valance.

  • 8 years ago

    I have not heard of epoxy grout colorant. Anyone have brands they would recommend? Would it stand up to the wear in a kitchen?


    OP, you are going to have a nice space when all is said and done. You are getting some good recommendations. It won't cost a fortune either. Hope you come back with pictures.

  • 8 years ago
    Before you do anything check your lighting. You may have a yellowish hue because your lights are giving off that hue.
    With all of the new lighting options out there that is my first step.
  • 8 years ago
    We just did some work in our kitchen/great room that might be helpful. As others said, get ride of the red, put in recessed lights, take the curvy window valence down, put up some nice molding on top of cabinets, new counter tops, etc. see my before and after pictures (pretty messy before pic, sorry). You're headed in the right direction. I am really enjoying my improved kitchen. I still need to get new cabinet hardware and a counter depth frig.
  • 8 years ago

    mccarthy, your kitchen looks great. Congrats!

  • 8 years ago

    Really nice kitchen and dining space as is. Liking your island -- perfect for serving buffet style family dinners.

    Like the cabinets. Changing the knobs and handles would be an update; however, if the ones you have are comfortable for your hands, wouldn't waste money replacing them.

    Probably would have wanted a wall between kitchen and dining beside the refrigerator that is the same depth of the overhead cabinet but see that you didn't have room for one.

    Refrigerator is huge. If you need a large fridge and, more importantly, if the one you have still works, then don't buy a new one for "looks".

    The best updates focus on changing anything that is worn or damaged first. What do you least like about your kitchen/dining room? Flooring being different? Then change that.

    Changing wall paint color (including above the cabinets in the kitchen) would be my first "go to" update for any room.

    Usually like the idea of the same tile throughout the ground floor. (Like wood floors, too, especially in bedrooms -- but never a kitchen or bath or laundry.) Dislike carpet anywhere. Others, however, disagree. You'll be cleaning whatever is chosen so keep that in mind and follow your own instincts.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I want that cat!!!! What a gorgeous kitty!!!

  • 8 years ago
    My 1984 kitchen is being partially redone because of water damage. I am going to paint the cabinets but I'm not there yet. I can't tell you what a change painting the walls has made. I chose a light blue green color with ultra white trim. The whole kitchen opened up! The oak looks better and it even helped the old Formica butcherblock counter tops. I found inspiration at https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/tips-ideas-update-oak-wood-cabinets/
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you all for giving me your advice! I have a lot of great suggestions to think about!! I think we are going to try and stay with a comfy homey feel to the space. it will fit best with the rest of our home!!
  • 8 years ago

    following...

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Hey Lori,

    hope all is going well with the kitchen! I definitely think that removing the valance above the sink will help, I would also suggest re staining the cabinets. Also when you extend your island make sure to square off the end of it, the rounded end dates it. Changing the hardware will help too, of course the finish will depend on the color pallet you go with but i would check out Century Hardware's Belvedere collection. I be live the Belvedere collection would work well with that timeless look you are trying to achieve. Best wishes!


    Belvedere Collection · More Info

    Belvedere 4" c.c. Pull - Champagne Gold · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    I have been thinking of all of the great suggestions everyone gave me all day! I was able to gather a few countertop granite samples to give me some ideas...any thoughts would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

    1st picture is a cream colored with grey and brown

    2nd is light grey

    3rd is black

    4th is just a pretty backsplash that I am drawn to. :)
  • 8 years ago
    Here are a few kitchen pictures that I also like. I just can't decide if I want to go dark or light! Any thoughts on the black floor? Is this look a trend or something that will stay? (or maybe it's a trend that is already out!! hahaha! I really don't know! :) the pics are pretty.
  • 8 years ago

    We inherited hickory cabinets with our house and when we changed the laminate for white Corian counters, it made a huge difference in ‘modernizing’ the space. I really wanted quartz counters but could not find one that I loved with our cabinets. I was afraid I was settling for the Corian but I really like it now, especially how smooth and ‘soft’ it feels.

  • 8 years ago

    If you go with a dark countertop, be sure you add the under cabinet lighting. Dark counters can be very pretty, but also light sucking, so good lighting will be important. Also, check the dark samples in different light to see if they show fingerprints. Some dark counters do and others don't.

    Here is a thread about light and dark countertops.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/what-are-pros-and-cons-of-light-vs-dark-countertops-dsvw-vd~4715878


    Dark floors also suck up light and show more dust. If you like to Swiffer and have good lighting, it doesn't matter:)


    I really like the last pic you posted!


    This person did dark counters and the marble like backsplash you said appealed to you:


    Before & After · More Info

    The island was done in a light countertop:


    Remodel 2017 · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    Following. Some really great advice, I am looking forward to see what you will do. My only advice at the moment is to get that poor fish a companion and a much bigger fish bowl/tank. Will uplift the kitchen imo. Lol

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    If you want that backsplash, then do a simple white quartz.

    if you want that first granite color, do a creamy, solid color ceramic tile.

    the 2nd is too gray for your cabinet color

    if you want the black I would choose something else. don't like that stone w/your kitchen. If you want a dark contrast, pick Cosmos granite,,it has beautiful golden veins that would compliment your cabinet tone.


    taj majal quartzite would look nice. you could do a white or off white subway tile


    or pick a light, solid quartz color in a white or cream


  • 8 years ago
    Following
  • 8 years ago
    Following
  • 8 years ago

    following