Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_563336900

Logan test results

8 years ago

Need advice


Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    It's not awful. You have a pretty sandy soil with a lower EC of 5.6, so we're going to tap this along and I'll recommend retesting in a year.

    Calcium levels are low, potassium is a little marginal, and boron is a little off, but I'm not going to try to fix all three at once. :-) At around 4%, organic matter is fine, but I'd recommend always mulch mowing with an EC that low.

    Lime: We're going to use Encap or Mir-A-Cal calcitic lime here, it's faster, you'll use less, and we can reapply faster if needed. Plus I don't want to add any magnesium to this soil...

    Boron: While not the most important element, I'll always work to move your lawn into the most optimal range on everything. Me? I'd fix this. We use Milorganite as a carrier and 20 Mule Team Borax as the boron source. You can purchase 20 Mules at the grocery store in the laundry section. In a wheelbarrow or the like, dump the Milo. Spraying very, very lightly with water (I use a spray bottle like the kind people use to damp their clothes when they iron) will help the boron stick. Add the recommended amount of 20 Mule Team Borax and stir, spraying occasionally to get the stuff to stick to the Milo. Then apply over the recommended area. So if going for bag rate Milorganite (1 bag per 2,500 square feet), you'd add 10 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borax.

    Recommendations:

    September 1: Apply 3 pounds of calcitic lime (Encap or Mir-A-Cal) per thousand square feet.

    October 1: Apply 2 pounds of potassium sulfate per thousand square feet.

    April 1: Apply 3 pounds of calcitic lime (Encap or Mir-A-Cal) per thousand square feet.

    May 1: Apply 4 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borax in Milorganite carrier per thousand square feet as detailed above.

  • 8 years ago

    An add-on.

    As I review this again, I'd like to kick your phosphorus levels up as well. When you feed, feed with a starter fertilizer (a fertilizer with a high second number, like 20-27-5 or 18-24-6 or the like--the exact ratio doesn't matter very much).

    Normally, you'd feed around Labor Day, October 1, and when growth stops. DO NOT use the starter when growth stops, the phosphorus won't have time to move into the soil and it's environmentally awful if it washes off over the winter. Use a high nitrogen, low everything else fertilizer at that time.

    Feed one more time with the starter fertilizer around Memorial Day of 2019 and we'll see where you are on the re-test next year.

  • 8 years ago

    thanks morph, I have an acre and I live in lv pa. I have milorganite 10 bags was planning to spread tommaro is that okay. was also looking at sbm any advice on that .ill get lime also.

  • 8 years ago

    ill spread the milo today. I found sta green lime at lowes can I spread the lime and starter fert on sept1 at the same time? also im from lehighvalley pa

  • 8 years ago

    Same here, it's raining plenty. The next week or two look to be more dry, but that's not a major issue in the slightest!

  • 8 years ago

    milo and lime has been spread. I got stagreen starter 18-24-6 was planning to spread today. but with this heat and possible thunder storms should I wait till next week?

  • 8 years ago

    Six on one, half dozen on the other, I think! We're not projected for major rainfall...but the last time, we weren't either and still managed to get three inches of rain.

    The phosphorus won't wash out, it binds to the soil very quickly, but you might lose the nitrogen. What with the Milo having gone down, that's not a major problem...but it is a waste.

  • 8 years ago

    starter was spread last week of august. some spots are brown some are yellowish did I screwup? yards not very green, better than before but not great. any ideas

  • 8 years ago

    It's not an all at once process; the phosphorus takes ages to perk down. Unless those yellow and brown spots are new, nothing's likely wrong.


    If they are new, we did have eleven days without rainfall in there. Parts of mine singed a little bit, but between the remnants of Gordon and incoming Florence, I don't think rain's going to be much of an issue...

  • 8 years ago

    I'm thinking that heat wave didn't help, but spreading that fert had me a little worried! never did it before. you said to do another app in October is there any way to apply organics instead?

  • 8 years ago

    You can use a 20 pound per thousand application of Milorganite instead, if you want! That'll supply about 0.4 pounds of phosphorus, a little under half what the starter would have, with 1 pound of slower nitrogen.

    Do that again around Memorial Day of 2019, and re-test the soil in August of next year.

    The other option would be TSP (triple super phosphate) at 2 pounds per thousand square feet; it contains no nitrogen (so you'd also want to feed). TSP can be a bit hard to handle, but modest overapplication doesn't have many negative consequences. As long as you're around 2 pounds per thousand square feet, you're fine.