Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2449149

roof pitch question

User
5 years ago
This house is gorgeous. I see that in a previous post you said the roof pitch was 14/12. My question is: is that in the front of the house and sides? We are planning a very similar elevation, and our architect has 16/12 on our side pitch, but the front being an 8/12. I don’t want the roof to look too short when you look at the house, so wondering if you did 14/12 in the front as well.
New home on Greenway in Mountain Brook · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Michael Eric Dale
    5 years ago

it is hard to understand exactly which roof planes you are talking about. All of the roof pitches visible on the front are 14/12 however sometimes I do have to lower the main ridge 2 steps lower to 12/12.

If you are saying the pitches on the sides are 16 but the main roof is 8, that would generally look very odd. It may be that the Architect is trying to avoid a too-tall main roof. (Many cities have a maximum 35 foot high rule, although they enforce this rule differently. )

The way to resolve this is to keep the front roof plane at the same or slightly lower pitch than the side planes. The roof ridge must be kept close to the front of the house- not in the middle.

Now this becomes tricky to explain. Imagine the roof behind the main roof ridge as a U shape. The main roof ridge would be the line that connects the 2 perpendicular lines of this U. Imagine these two extensions as minor ridges running from the main roof line to the rear of the house-they can be gabled at the rear or hipped. Then fill between these with a lower pitch roof- the lower pitch roof will not be so noticeable at the rear and can also be mitigated if you have a shed dormer or screen porch.

That is how the roof lines of traditional homes have been done for ages.

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you so much! You’ve been very helpful. I was referring to the pitch of the roof above the front door. This helps! Thanks again!
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022