0

Dahlia blooms 2018

cicivacation
September 4, 2018

Please share your pretties here! If you know the variety name, include it after the image to help us develop our 2019 shopping lists.

• cicivacation
    This variety was Swan Island's new 2018 release. VERY strong stems that require a steel blade to cut. Trying to 'snap' off the stem results in celery-like strings that refuse to break. The blooms have good substance, with vibrant colors that translate poorly in the camera. The bloom middles tend to pop open, making it a poor show flower in my opinion, but is a great cut flower for the vase. I will definitely be growing this one again.

• dedaunan

Dahlia Hapet blue eyes

• flashphoto

A few from cici

Camano Sittka

who Dunit

who dunit 2

• cicivacation

AC Susi is a 2017 release from Accent, with dark burgundy stems and a height that puts sunflowers to shame. I've really enjoyed the several plants growing in my dahlia beds this season.

• cicivacation
    I saw High Plains Majesty at a show years ago, and it had been on my wish list for a while until I finally found it for sale. Happily, the foliage was virus-free, and it's a definite keeper in my garden. Hopefully, my one plant's tubers overwinter okay.

Einstein was released by Swan Island in 2016 or 17, and is quite a bit larger than I expected. Deep purple, with dark DARK stems (although the image looks pinkish, the bloom itself is the darkest shade of bluish purple... similar to Thomas Edison, but much bigger). Its not a show flower, but is an eye-catcher for sure. It has frosted reverse petals, which endears it to some, and repels others.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b

Hi Cici, you have stunning dahlias! Do you have a website where you offer tubers? If so, when are they available for order? Here is my snowbound I ordered last winter from swan island. It survived being planted late and being eaten to the ground by potato bugs. It managed to regrow and give me this stunner! More are blooming now. I'm not so patiently waiting for my spartacus to bloom next, any day! If all goes well, I'll post as well. Thanks, Tiffany

• cicivacation
    Bloomquist Paxton is a bloom workhorse, with dark straight stems that are a dream to cleanly snap off for cut flowers. Tubers are plentiful and store very well. I've really enjoyed this variety.

Tiff, thanks for your interest in my online store! It can be found at Dahlia Vacation, but will not open until Feb/March, and closes end of April. I don't pre-sell tubers, as I am a hobbiest and only a few plants of each variety. The varieties currently on there are from last year, and are not guaranteed to be available this coming season. If anyone wishes to be added to my mailing list that announces my opening, you may send me your email with 'Dahlia Vacation mailing list' as subject line to: cicivacation@aol.com.

I am open to trades with growers that have newer show varieties and who actively tosses any stock with virus sign in the leaves.

Cheers!

CiCi

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    Thanks Cici! That dahlia you posted is lovely as well!
  • cicivacation

Here's another couple pretties from the 2018 season:

Ryecroft Jan is a small white ball that often has perfect petal formation, still tight in the center while recurving all the way back to the stem. Really nice variety.

Tyler James is a large informal decorative flame that just lights up my world! One of the first varieties I purchased, and I haven't gone a season without it. Great tubers, awesome CONSTANT blooms that last in a vase, and a color to swoon to.

• cicivacation

Folks that are shopping for specific varieties can check out a GREAT resource called Dahlia Addict.
    You can see which Dahlia vendors are open (with direct links to their
    sites), and search by variety to find where you can buy it from
    currently. Check it out!

For folks who are curious, I've updated the varieties on my store, but won't open for orders until
    Jan/Feb after I do the mid-winter tuber check to verify my inventory. My store is at Dahlia Vacation if you would like to peek.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b

Great Cici, thanks!