Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farah7658

House exterior is just so "blah" ...

Farrah
5 years ago

What can we do to spruce up the front of the house? It's so blah. The roof is brand new, so we're stuck with the monotone browns. We plan on getting rid of the tree that's blocking the window. Thinking of painting the gutters, porch columns, and garage door in a dark chocolate color. What do you think? I'm really low on ideas - I'd love to hear yours!

Comments (10)

• fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

How about two large cobalt blue pots to flank the front door?

Farrah thanked fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
  • Sylvia Gordon
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Paint gutters & garage door the same color as the brick so that they will "disappear". Dark chocolate sounds good, & landscaping & cobalt blue pots, will add definition & color. Very nice house!

Farrah thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

darker garage door would work. something this dark or a tad lighter. I like the row of glass at the top

I like this door too.

what do you think about painting your front door a lighter color?

the shrubs under the windows on the right need pruning. Love the colored pots idea. maybe even a mustard or red would work too.

or,,instead of those hedges, try something like this under the window

Planting some flowers after the tree comes out, in that bare patch, would also work. Iceberg rose bushes?

Farrah thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

A new more extensive landscaping plan for the front yard

Farrah thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Bette P
    5 years ago

Nice home!

You might want to add some more photos, a closer and clearer photo of your brick would help. Is your front door stained wood or painted? If painted, changing it to a lighter colour would help draw the eye. Don't paint your downspouts/gutters dark, you don't want them contrasting with the brick, they serve a purpose only. Better landscaping will make this place sing.

Farrah thanked Bette P
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

Fresh landscaping and doors and windows should really help!

Farrah thanked Lion Windows and Doors
  • grapefruit1_ar
    5 years ago

I agree with some landscaping changes. Dark brown does not seem like a good choice if you already consider your house to be " blah". I might choose a lighter color for the trim. Your house is already beautiful!

Farrah thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

#1 Landscaping

#2 Paint (not dark brown though)

Farrah thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Farrah
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for the replies. Here are some additional pictures, for those who asked. The front door is wooden, and black - but I kinda love it and don’t want to repaint it.