Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeevan_madala

Basement layout critique.

8 years ago

We will be closing on our new construction this week and one of the first projects we want to do is finish the basement.


We paid a professional (he was amazing!) to do the design and wanted to run it by you guys before getting started. https://imgur.com/a/oQNUC8C


My biggest question is with the picture window that we are putting in the gym. Our thought was that it would let in light from the double window that is in the gym. Do you guys think this is ok? Or should we do a french door there? Any other opportunities for improvement?

Comments (10)

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Becky.

    OP: is the green box windows in the wall between the gun and rec room? I’m not sure I get them if they are - this room could be a bedroom in the future, but extra windows in the wall makes that weirder =)

    Have you laid out the furniture you want (sectional, pool table, etc) to make sure the space works? Can anything be changed in the bathroom?

  • 8 years ago

    @damiarain

    Yes the window is between the gym and the rec room. We are thinking about doing a french door here instead.


    We did try doing a layout with the dimensions from the furniture we are purchasing.


    What would you change about the bathroom?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Where are the columns?

  • 8 years ago

    I would switch the locations of gym and office to prioritize use of your window in an office. Eliminate the french doors. Rework the stairs--very tight, do you need a door at bottom of stairs? Expand the "entrance" to your lower level so there is a proper and spacious landing/entry point. There is wasted space as "entrance" to the fitness room and the bath, as well as way too much floor space in bathroom with small vanity and small shower--- upgrade the sizing of both shower and vanity with reorganizing current layout etc.

  • 8 years ago

    I'd agree the spatial arrangement isn't all that efficient. You're just buying more drywall, studs, flooring, etc. for space that offers little value.


    You're landing should open to a focal point vs a tight space with you facing a wall.


    Are you planning on a TV at the back of the bar? If not you might want to, otherwise configure seating to align with where you will be putting the TV.


    Yes, definitely leverage the light from the now gym room.



  • 8 years ago

    @imhofan


    That door by the basement isn't for coming up/down the stairs (that is on the other side)


    Here is a 3d overview


  • 8 years ago

    How do you get into the house from the garage? I wouldn't want to descend the stairs and run into a pool table. Are you sure that's the optimum location? I think I'd want the bar to be the focal when I came downstairs - placed opposite the stairwell. Then put the pool table in the area by the gym. But I think I'd want the gym to be the office and vice versa.

    https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/room-size-requirements/

  • 8 years ago

    We do not have access to the basement from the garage (it is filled with dirt, not a room). The basement is a walkout and we have a 6ft sliding door (which we are thinking about changing to 8ft).


    We will definitely swap the gym/office locations.

  • 8 years ago

    So you enter your lower level from stairs landing at the proposed pool table?