puterputz

Soffit and Lighting Dilemma

puterputz
September 18, 2018

Hello Everyone!
We bought a studio vacation rental aka hotel room...It was built in the 70's and has concrete construction. Choices for lighting is either track, or putting recessed lighting in soffits around the perimeters of the room. The room dimensions are 12.4' x 22'. I decided to do the soffits, but now have 2 dilemma's.

1. The soffits are only going to be 14"-15" wide which means our recessed lighting will be too close to the walls according to the lighting guru's. Very little is said, except that minimum should be 24" from the wall. What are your thoughts? Will the lighting be awful? We will have them on dimmers and will also have wall sconces next to the bed and a lamp on a buffet. Do you think the recessed lights should be centered in the soffits or can they be off centered?
  2. The room is a rectangle basically, but the one end is floor to ceiling windows looking out into the gulf. So, the soffits will be ending into the curtains! I can't come up with any ideas around this. I'm concerned it will look terrible. Thoughts? Our soffits will have crown molding up to the ceiling with some rope lights to add some flare. I have attached another units pictures so you can see the layout as it is the same. The kitchen area we will use 30" cabinets so we won't have a problem with the soffits, but I am thinking of taking the soffits further out like in the last picture below. Thank you so much in advance for your help! I know you all have such great ideas! All ideas welcomed!

Dana