Software
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_small_davis

wood flooring I am not in love with

so there may be nothing I can do but it's not entirely in the budget to refinish or replace these floors but we just moved in and the floor is just too rustic for me. besides the area rugs I put down, any other quick fix ideas? thanks!

Comments (38)

  • 8 years ago

    The floor is a classic parquet, not a rustic style. Remove everything with antlers if you want a less rustic look. Chandelier, fireplace wall decor, etc.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The fireplace and antler light are about the only rustic things I see. Parquet is a very classic traditional style of hardwood. It's not my personal favorite, but it's not what's giving you that rustic feeling.

  • 8 years ago
    I want rustic but I feel that there is too much wood in the house which makes it over the top.
  • 8 years ago

    You need to add some colour to the room. The floor is parquet and looks just fine.

  • 8 years ago

    If you want to reduce the amount of wood w/o replacing anything you could consider painting the trim/baseboards.

  • 8 years ago
    I think it's more that your furniture does not compliment the floor. Yes, you have a lot of wood there and a lost of different finishes there. But I wouldn't touch the floor. And while I usually think that most of use can do a reasonable job of selecting furniture that works well in our space, you may need some help. To my eye, neither the sofa nor furniture works in these rooms.

    I'd encourage you to consult with a few designers to get some thoughts. Try to decide which pieces you absolutely must keep whether because you love them or whether you can't afford to replace them at this time.
  • 8 years ago
    we just moved and the furniture that came with us is less than a year old from the previous home. I'm not really looking to replace it right now if I dont have to. I'm not sure what specifically doesnt work with the furniture at this current point. suggestions with the criticism would be severely helpful.
  • 8 years ago

    Your family room rug needs to be much bigger so that the furniture can sit on it.

  • 8 years ago
    I had considered that it's a 5 x 7 maybe I try 9 x 12..
  • 8 years ago

    Tape out the space on the floor and measure to be sure.

  • 8 years ago

    I would paint the front door the same color as your walls.


    Are up to painting the room? Is it white or a light green?


    I think the TV is mounted too high. It could some down 6 to 10 inches. Also if you move it down, you wouldn't see so much of the wires.

  • 8 years ago
    room is a very light blue and the front entry is white. I have an accent wall that is a darker gray/blue
  • 8 years ago
    top pic was included accidentally that was from the previous owners. my current dining room is the pic with the white chandeleir
  • 8 years ago
    here is a before and after of what the house was when we moved in to what we changed it to. I went for a light blue because the house was so dark..wrong color?
  • 8 years ago
    maybe the wood just needs to be refinished and glossed maybe it's the dull finish that's getti ng me your pic shows beautiful glossy floors
  • 8 years ago

    Your furniture is fine. Your floor is fine. It seems dominant because there aren't proper rugs. Smaller entry rug, large DR rug to fit chairs she pulled out, same with LR rug. Pick an accent color or two from the rugs and use them throughout the rooms.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh and your wall color is fine. And the place looks way better than before. It is a process!!

  • 8 years ago
    It seems the floor is the problem for you...It really is dated...undeniably wood over kill .....and busy...how about painting it?.... filling any cracks properly and choosing the right color would give you a solid foundation of one color....that will not compete with the other things in the room that you do like...if this appeals to you you can ask for color suggestion input...
  • 8 years ago

    No professional here, but I think you just need to update your trim paint and throw down a few rugs. That will take downplay the impact of the flooring a lot.

  • 8 years ago
    I want to put a bigger rug by this door because this is an area with a lot of flooring but dont know what shape or size would be best for in front of the door. it's right next to the living room furniture with a rug in place
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I don't care for parquet floors but please don't paint it. I've see it updated with a darker stain and paint would ruin that future op[ion.

  • 8 years ago
    its cedar trim so we are hesitant to paint over the trim we r really just trying to compliment it
  • 8 years ago
    In any case painting out all the wood trim would help....match the walls or do a slight variable so that wood element is gone
  • 8 years ago

    I understand. I think you've done all you can do with the exception of the rugs. Painting the trim would look much better IMO because the trim color pairs too well with the floor (that you already don't like).

  • 8 years ago
    agreed to the trim I just cant bring myself to paint over the cedar. i see dollars signing attacking me with the thought
  • 8 years ago

    The ceiling?? Don't-it is beautiful! Sap the front door rug with that one and start rug shopping for the other two. It's not about covering the floor, it is about decorating your (anyone's) room so the floor isn't the main attraction

  • 8 years ago

    This house has a split personality, I'm afraid. You have some rustic elements, some classic traditional elements, and then some totally generic elements. It all adds up to a bit of a mishmash.


    I would start by deciding exactly what style you want--maybe find an inspiration photo--and then go from there. In any case, that front door is just wrong. I'd start saving up to replace it.



  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Are all of the ceilings in the house dark wood? The reason I ask is because they can look lovely and perhaps you can keep it in a room like a study but it would certainly change the living area drastically, less rustic and of course allow a lot more light in the room.


    I also agree that painting the cedar trim would make a big difference..

    I also think Groveraxle’s door examples look great!






  • 8 years ago

    Your gray furniture does this room no favors. Nor do the curtains and the etageres. Simplify. Show off those windows, paint the china cabinet, get rid of furniture that serves no purpose. If you have collectibles to display, lets find a better way.



  • 8 years ago

    Smaller entry rug, big dining rug to go with your painted china cabinet:




  • 8 years ago

    Yikers. IS this parquet?? I think maybe not!




  • 8 years ago

    Here's an idea: how about eliminating that goofy wall behind the piano? It accomplishes nothing except to chop up the space and reduce continuity.


  • 8 years ago

    Greenfish, I don't think you can tell from these pictures with resolution of 72 dpi.

  • 8 years ago

    i think I know why she called it "rustic" the squares look like some faux distressed treatment. Parquet or...margarine?? Either way with the proposed changes you will notice it less :)

  • 8 years ago
    already on it for the wall that's a separate post hah
  • 8 years ago
    already on it for the wall that's a separate post hah
  • 8 years ago

    All your changes have been wonderful. Lot of work already done. Add some colorful rugs you love. A big one under the dining table, another one under the piano. With lively color like you have on the staircase, the rooms will have the extra character they need.