Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairsey89

Need Advice on Nursery Wall Decor

clairsey89
5 years ago
I need advice on how to decorate the top of the dresser as well as the empty space above it. I would like to use the top of the dresser as a changing area but it isn’t a necessity. I think the wall would benefit from something 3D like paper flowers or white shelves??

Comments (9)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

My experience with our children was that each baby loved the art or decor that I hung over their changing table. For our first, it was a handmade poster announcing her birth and and a deflated mylar balloon. She quickly learned to grab the balloon strings and talked to them all the time. For the others, it was a cross stitched wall hanging that was made for me when I was born.

I always hung them low (only and inch or two above the dresser top) or rested it right on the dresser so Baby could see them at her or his eye level. Every one of my 7 kids was turning their heads to focus on that picture within a couple of weeks.

Another good idea is to have a little stuffed animal there for Babies to grab as they are being changed. Those little hands are going to snatch at anything and everything so having something other than your hair and the poopy diaper is a lifesaver!!

Congrats on your twins, this is going to be so much fun! (did you know that Emily Elizabeth is the name of the girl in the Clifford stories? so cute!)

• meljane
    5 years ago
    Is the chest of drawers deep enough to use, to change the baby's nappy? It looks like the changing mat is placed sideways.
    A mobile hanging above will keep the baby distracted and happy.
    (I personally put the changing mattress onto the floor, when I needed to change our children's nappies, as they were so lively, it was safer.)
  • cbear33
    5 years ago

You should get a changing table pad and some really cute pad sheets. There are so many to choose from. You can store everything you need in the dresser too. It will be functional and beautiful.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Are you having twins?! There are great diaper changing pads that you simply lay on the floor. No danger for baby to fall off that dresser! They can be sanitized with wipes. Much safer. Decorate wall with something that is multi functional. Good luck!
  • S CG
    5 years ago
    Changing table is great for the first few weeks when you're still recovering from childbirth. I think what you've got there is great until you're ready to get up and down from the floor easily, generally before they're too wiggly to handle safely on top of the changing table. A picture or mobile is a great suggestion.
  • kelez
    5 years ago
    I have to recommend the following, which I put up in my daughter’s room. It is customized "stickem up wall art" from www.etsy.com. Just do a search for stickem up wall art. Ignore the color backdrop of the art on the website....everything comes in individual pieces that you assemble, using the recommended picture as a guide. The great thing about this is that it is easy to apply and it comes right off again, easily stored on butcher's paper, so you can take it with you to your next home or when you redecorate. You can change the dimensions, obviously use the names of your twins , change the colors, and make it custom made.

Meanwhile, get the foam changing pad and use it on the dresser. Your back will thank you.
  • silviakunst
    5 years ago
    It's really up to you how to decorate for the babies or for you ..but for diaper changes ..I would get something in a place that is larger and safer than the one you suggest ...perhaps some shelves over the cabinet ...and over each bed something for the babies to look at that extends out over the bed ?? Babies frolic and enjoy things hanging over them ... While you are outside ...! They of course prefer you looking down on them ..but if you are busy ..they enjoy distractions of a colorful kind ...
  • clairsey89
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions! Thank you for taking the time. A couple of things:

1. The dresser came with a wooden border which attaches to the top of the dresser so the changing pad can’t slide around. However, it is hard to change their diapers anywhere because they want to roll over onto their stomachs. The girls are already 8 months old...I’m a little late in decorating their room. :)

2. I like the idea of a mobile or similar to hang above the changing table and/or cribs. I’ll keep my eye out.

3. I now know about Emily Elizabeth in Clifford (which I loved as a child) but didn’t realize it when we named our girls.