Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_770532637

New Grass Issue

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I Reno’d my backyard about 3 weeks ago with a fescue/PR mix. I did not need to kill off the grass as chickens did that for me, so I threw down some compost, tilled, seeded, raked and fertilized. Soil was kept moist, had germination start in 36 hours (perennial rye) and everything was looking great until this weekend.

This weekend I went on vacation Saturday-Monday. I mowed to about 3.75” on Thursday and it looked fine, maybe a bit spindly as new blades always look. However when I got home, I immediately noticed a difference. Some of the blades are upright while others, in large chunks, are laying on the ground and appear to be rotting. I have no idea what seems to be causing this. The weather has been what I would think is almost perfect for the past 2 weeks (including this weekend) for starting grass, mid 80s during the day and low 70s at night, some light rain but mostly irrigation.

The only thing I’ve noticed are the worms (4th picture) throughout the lawn. It’s not completely covered in them but I do see a lot.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? My first thought is fungus. I’m not new to lawn care and this is probably my 5th lawn from seed (different houses) and definitely the first with this kind of issue. What did I do wrong? What do I do now?


edit: I cant seem to get the photos to upload. here's a link

Comments (3)