Software
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_kim74

front door color

8 years ago

I am planning to change my shutters to the grey one as show on the photo... I would like to paint my front door (existing door has a Christmas tree green color) to something that's unique and inviting. My husband wasn't so thrilled about that light blue color door..


with the rest of the color of the house...


Please help!

Comments (31)

  • 8 years ago

    Since there is no other gray on the house for the shutters to relate to, I think the front door should be the same gray color. Otherwise, I think you might be approaching too many colors and textures on a relatively simple style home.

  • 8 years ago

    If I choose to change the shutter colors as well and also have a different door color, what would you suggest?

  • 8 years ago

    What ever color you go with pick ONE. Have the shutters and door match. BLACK is claimed to be the $$$$ color.

  • 8 years ago

    What do you think of this blue/green color? Add a planter with color and maybe a chair or small bench, all by front door. It will look pretty, I think.

    found on pinterest

  • 8 years ago

    Add a planter by front door with some color, and maybe a small chair or bench, too.


  • 8 years ago

    I am trying to avoid black shutters if possible.

  • 8 years ago

    Navy. Look at Hale Navy for starters but there are lovely navies out there.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm thinking the solution might be to eliminate shutters. Direct focus toward your front door and a small seating area to the left of the door, under the window.

  • 8 years ago

    And if you were looking for more curb appeal ideas, beef up those porch posts. If not, then ignore me!

  • 8 years ago



    These are the pics of our current house. The other side faces the r roo...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Now that I see the real Home, no shutters and paint the storm door whatever color you paint the front door. Seriously, do a google search of navy front door with brick.

    If you want more ideas for curb appeal, there are other suggestions that folks can make.

  • 8 years ago

    Remove the shutters. They aren't appropriate on double windows. I don't mind the door color but the storm is hiding it. New, beefy columns would make the biggest impact, and then new landscaping.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I agree to removal of the shutters, they should be wide enough to appear to close and meet in the middle of the window. If the upper shutters cannot be removed without showing damage to the siding, paint them out the same color as your siding so they do not contrast and attract attention. Hopefully your siding is wood and the shutters can be removed. Remove them from the lower window also.

    You have to work with what you have, the brown roof, the pink/orange/red brick and your siding color, grey is not a good fit. A sage green on your door would work. Ideally, the storm door should match in color.

    You should add another post for landscaping suggestions, add some more photos from the curb and state your planting zone.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes...the shutters need to go. Each shutter should be half the window's width. Not a good look with double windows. I like the green from Christine.

  • 8 years ago

    Unfortunately the siding is vinyl and probably will show holes in them from previous shutters.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago



    Other side of the house facing the road. I should put shutters here riright?

  • 8 years ago

    I think it's worthwhile to check into removing them and patching any holes.

  • 8 years ago

    Ben Moore Persimmon is the first photo, might be too out there for you? Red Oxide might work. Don't know the second one, SW Really Teal is similar.

    Century Home · More Info


    Cottage Charm · More Info


  • 8 years ago

    If you choose shutters, I wouldn't put them on the wide window near the front door. for the rest, you should google proper shutter sizing to make sure your new shutters are wide enough. The shutters you have look too narrow.

  • 8 years ago

    What color shutters would look good with the house if I choose to put on on the second floor and on the side of the house with single (please see that picture

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I actually like the dark, cool-green color you presently have. The shutters just need to be sorted out.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Also would eliminate all the shutters but then add wide trim boards -- (that, hopefully, would cover most of the holes) -- at least around the upstairs windows and the front door frame ( treated, stained natural wood finish) as well as use that same wood to wrap around the thin front porch posts.

    Then paint your door a color that goes well with the natural wood finish you've chosen -- a bold black, perhaps with a brass bottom kickplate might be worth considering.

  • 8 years ago

    Bette suggested sage green...another nice choice with your brick and roof color.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago



    I removed the shutters next to the door. It looks a lot better.. with the top windows I dont think we can necessarily "patch" the sidings. They were put in about 27 years ago and they probably dont have the same siding part get replaced.

    Which color do you think would work the best from the options below ??

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Builders-Edge-15-in-x-43-in-Raised-Panel-Vinyl-Exterior-Shutters-Pair-in-008-Clay-030140043008/100376774


    Wedgewood blue??

    Other siding designs and color suggestions would be aporeciated.


    ##i am willing to paint the door if needed be.

    ##i do see the need for a chair or bench

  • 8 years ago

    What do you mean by “siding designs”?

  • 8 years ago

    What are the dimensions of the upper windows? You may not like the recommended sized shutters. They’ll be much different than what you’re used to.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh sorry.. I meant shutter designs .

  • 8 years ago

    The height about 43nches and the width is pretty long (ddidid't measure it )but def it wwould be weird to havvesuch a wide shutter

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Before--



    Trying the black shutters. What are your thoughts on this ?

  • 8 years ago


    Grey door.