Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideas90

Can't choose backsplash

ideas90
5 years ago

I need help! We're doing a whole kitchen/laundry remodel and have chosen everything except the backsplash. We have slightly off-white cabinets, do can't choose something really white. We've chosen 'silver cloud' granite countertops, and white/grey wood look tile for the floor. A designer tried to talk us into grey glass subway tiles, but I'm not sold on that idea. We like something with some grey/white marble in it, but haven't found one in a design we like. Happy for any suggestions - please send pictures of your ideas!

Comments (24)

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

cabinet , granite,

• Nothing Left to Say
    5 years ago

Your granite is lovely but quite busy. I think it would pair best with a plain ceramic or glass tile. I think marble or other stones or tiles with pattern will look too busy.

ideas90 thanked Nothing Left to Say
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

This tile is a pretty cool take on traditional white subway tile, it has just a hint of blue to give it some dimension. Something like this could be really beautiful: Mesa Azure Subway Tile

ideas90 thanked Lion Windows and Doors
  • ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

floor and granite

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

The tile looks like it has a slight brown tint to it, or at least that's how my monitor shows it. I don't really like it with the granite. I'd go lighter personally.

ideas90 thanked crcollins1_gw
  • ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oe

Love this tile, but not the diamond pattern

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

Did you take a larger pic of the one directly below it on the display? I could see something like that working but that one looks a bit like bathroom tile. Is it as small as I think it is?

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I would keep it simple with a white subway with a bevel or crackle. I would stay away from a dark backsplash or anything too busy.

ideas90 thanked mark_rachel
  • chispa
    5 years ago

Sorry, but I'm just so bored with the white subway tile ... be bold, be different, be unique, be you, live a little! :-)

Cottage in Mill Valley · More Info

Montclair Kitchen · More Info

Chestnut Street · More Info

La Jolla Custom Wood-Mode Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Inset - Clear Select Walnut · More Info

ideas90 thanked chispa
  • ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oundthis3x6polishedmarbletile t

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't want it to looklookplainlikethis

Our Work · More Info

Iwantsomethingwithmore character like thisi

Rye Transitional home · More Info

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hanover, NH · More Info

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This island isthe sameasourgranite su

Black Pearl leather granite and silver cloud island · More Info

i-

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

No, that Hanover picture is just too much. And if you study the differences in the countertop in your "plain" photo vs. your "more character" photo, you'll see that the countertop is busy in the first picture so the backsplash is plain, and the countertop is more quiet in the second picture so it can handle a bit more movement in the backsplash.

You're getting good advice, but if you want the marble, get the marble! You're the one who is going to be paying for it and looking at it!

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bravo Kitchen · More Info

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm not stuck with marble, but I don't want traditional white subway tile.

• ideas90
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Any idea what this is?

Teri Turan · More Info

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

Tried searching the image but there's not much info in the link it took me to. Looks almost like travertine to me. Not loving it with those counters. Kinda brownish.

How about an arabesque shape in a light, solid color?

or teardrop?

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

I really like this one:

• crcollins1_gw
    5 years ago

Here is one with color. No idea if this would work with your counter without seeing them side by side, but it's really cool.

• K R
    5 years ago
    I really like the dark gray glass tile, gives it a nice contrast. I would not do any marble pattern with the busy counters...it will be overkill. I have a dark gray glass backsplash in my kitchen if you want to look at my photos. It looks different during the day and at night when we have the undercabinet lighting turned on.
    ideas90 thanked K R
  • fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
    5 years ago

Here’s a great link to laying simple tiles in interesting ways to add texture and interest. If you use a simple handmade tile (for instance Cle, Fireclay, Ann Sacks) it will have natural variations that will make beautiful statement without distracting from your patterned granite.

ideas90 thanked fidlfreek_justice_4_sophie
  • mark_rachel
    5 years ago

I agree that character is good in a kitchen, but everything can't have character or it starts to look busy & messy. You have to pick a star & let other things hide in the background. Your countertop is going to be the star here & you need your backsplash to blend into the background while adding texture & style, but not completing with your countertop. Just because you like the look of the marble doesn't mean it's a good fit here. If you love it that much then by all means go for it! If you want to make a good design choice then select something else.

Fireclay has some great shapes that would add character, but not compete with your stone. They also have colors if you wanted to go gray.

ideas90 thanked mark_rachel