Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21921585

Single Cerise China

8 years ago

I was intrigued by Single Cerise China and ordered it from Rose Petals Nursery.


There were a few posts about this rose here at Gardenweb when it was first introduced by Vintage but nothing much after that.


Did it turn out to be a dud? Does anyone still grow it?

Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Unlike most Chinas, it didn't want to live here. (It's possible, particularly given the color, that it hated my pH.)

    User thanked jerijen
  • 8 years ago

    Sorry to hear that, Jeri. It seemed like you really liked it.

  • 8 years ago

    Anything single and China, I can pretty much guarantee I'll like it.


  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for the great picture!


    I bought mine from Rose Petals. It should be arriving later this week. They're showing out of stock at the moment, so I guess they're all gone now. But they have a wish list option. I've gotten a couple of things by adding my name to the wish list, and then their system sends out emails when the item comes back into stock.

  • 8 years ago

    I should probably do that. It's just that shipping to CA is so danged pricey.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm the idiot who had this rose and for some insane reason discarded it. There could have been no good reason because it was lovely. I'm on my work computer now and can't access my files, but I believe I still have a photo of it and will post it after I'm off work. This is one of the few "red" Chinas that I really like, although as I remember it's really more of a rich pink. I question my sanity when I think that I discarded this rose.

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Hi Ingrid. I would love to see your pictures. Like you, true red is my least favorite color in roses, but I do like the deep pinkish violet or lilac pinks that are almost red. I like this "cerise" color in Jeri's picture.


    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure everyone has gotten rid of roses and later regretted it. I know I've given away so many that I later reordered, only to give away again. I have limited space, and I'm addicted to the thrill of the new find and the anticipation of new buds on new roses. It's a horrible combination.


    More often than not something has to go if I want something new. It's easy enough if it's something disease or pest ridden. If it's a healthy rose and it's just not thrilling me, then I find it a good home so I don't feel bad about it.



  • 8 years ago

    belle, you're so wonderfully kind. I am glad that this lovely rose is being offered again. I'll have a look in my files to see if I actually took a picture.I've looked everywhere and I'm so sorry but I have not been able to find a picture of this rose. I could have sworn I had one, but who knows since it's been so long.

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    Here's R. x odorata 'Bengal Crimson' growing at the Chelsea Physic Garden, London. Apparently identical to the California "Single Cerise China".


    User thanked malcolm_manners
  • 8 years ago

    Malcolm, I'm not convinced that the rose you show is the same as SCC. The petals never drooped in that fashion; they always had a sort of twirl to them which you can see in Jeri's photo above, with never the rather limp appearance that your photo shows. It will be interesting to see what bellegallica's rose looks like when hers arrives and blooms.

    User thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    No Malcolm -- That is very like our 'Miss Lowe's Variety,' but not at all like "Single Cerise China", which see here:

    User thanked jerijen
  • 8 years ago

    To my eye the picture at Rose Petals looks more like Jeri's than Malcolm's, slightly twirled inward rather than reflexing back.


    Single Cerise at Rose Petals

  • 8 years ago

    I've grown both, so . . .

    User thanked jerijen