Software
Houzz Logo Print
iyare82

Help finish my formal areas...

7 years ago
Hey Houzzers....

Just need a little feedback on if i am going in the right direction with my decorating. These two rooms are the formal areas (living and dinning) and are the first rooms visible upon entry of the house. This is a little foreign to me as i am color mad normally lol. The look i am going for is elegant with a mixture of modern/traditional/glam pieces. For window treatments, I’m not really sure.... I’m considering rolling shades the same color as the wall. Also considering curtains taken up high. There are 32 windows downstairs so it’s a lot to consider. I just want things to look well done. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago
    A few alternative views of the rooms... the first picture is the view from the front door. The formal living and dining are to the left
  • 7 years ago

    Hi lyare,

    What a beautiful room, I have dark floors just like you and love them.

    The blue in your rug is a great accent color.

    Maybe lower the picture behind your couch a bit, and perhaps something shorter on your coffee table? I feel like the vase of flowers on your coffee table may be a bit too high.

  • 7 years ago

    You've done a beautiful job. Yes, lower your large art work behind the sofa to about 12" from top of sofa. Go through all your art work and make sure it is all 57"-60" from floor to center. This puts it at eye level for most people just like on gallery walls. I wouldn't do curtains--just the roller shades same color as the wall or ivory. Your windows are wonderful.

  • 7 years ago
    Ahhhh i see what you both are saying lol. We hung the pictures at eye level for me but I’m kinda forgetting that I’m tall.

    Here’s another question:

    This wall measures 316 inches so i put these pictures on the wall. They’re cityscapes. My brother thinks that because the other paintings are landscapes, they clash. He said it’s like mixing city and country.

    My goal was to put 3 sconces in the middle of each pic.... to give it a gallery feel. But if i should do different t pictures, i would like to know before i install the sconces
  • 7 years ago

    With all due respect to your brother, there's no need to match up subjects in a gallery. I suppose you could try to group like with like and see how you like it.

  • 7 years ago

    Not fan of the dining table rug with fringe. Consider getting one colors pulling covers from the rug in the living living room and eliminate the fringe. Overall this looks well. For windows I would not match wall cover. Maybe a shade or two darker or just some sheers that would allow the light to come in. Good luck and keep going are you are doing fine.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I really like the clean look of no window treatments and keeping the architectural details exposed however I understand the need for privacy, especially in the front of the house. I think curtains to the floor but not necessarily covering the top windows would be the most dramatic but would also be concerned that you have very little space in between each window and have angles to contend with. You could do fabric blinds, like a roman shade in a rich velvet which would give you "warmth", privacy and allow the fabric to be within the windows.

  • 7 years ago
    Inside out, i was pricing rolling shades so as not to cover the windows. I too like them exposed hence why i am not in a rush to cover them up
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    When you say "roller" shades do you mean white plastic shades? I'm just trying to understand exactly what you mean as although that would be "functional", I think it would cheapen what you've done which is classy and lovely :).

  • 7 years ago
    I meant something like the first picture but in the color of the second pic
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Yes that is along the lines of what I meant but as these are formal spaces, I think you should go with something a little more dramatic and with more a fabric with more weight.

  • 7 years ago
    Ahhh so i was considering this (pic 1) but I’m gonna try it in my family room first (pic 2).
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Like the idea but am wondering what your thoughts were with the door and the window seat

  • 7 years ago
    I’m honestly not sure
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz