Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_leon78

Help with bedroom ideas!

Steph L.
5 years ago
You guys were super helpful with my downstairs, so I thought I’d get some ideas for the upstairs. I am open to any ideas. All of the furniture is pretty old and will be replaced if necessary. Our bed frame is on its last leg, so I would especially love ideas for that. Our style is Scandinavian/farmhouse I guess. I feel like our chairs are too traditional. Also, the main wall needs something. I was thinking a picture collage, but I’m open to other ideas too.

Comments (62)

• Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

I like the design on that one, too, Steph. For pillows, I like four standard sized, two of which are down and an accent pillow or two. Take a look at West Elm for bedding. If you go for a plain white comforter, you could add a folded quilt or coverlet at the foot.

I think an area rug in this room would be really nice.

North Seattle Guest House · More Info

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok thanks! Will take a look!! Can you send me a link for the area rug you suggested earlier? I REALLY like it! Or something similar?
  • Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh and any suggestions for side tables? Something Scandinavian
  • Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

Hi, Steph. Here's the link to the rug I posted earlier:

Multi Facet Rug

I'll take a look around for some nightstands.

• Manon Floreat
    5 years ago

Here are few nightstands you might like. The last one is really just an idea of how your current ones could look if you painted them. It's not uncommon for Scandinavian case goods to be painted. Often with really lovely flourishes. Could save you a little money . . .

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

scandy-farmhouse is neutral, light, simple lines, simple wood, art, plants, etc.

I'd do something w/your ceiling too. maybe a natural pale wood plank, or beadboard painted white, or even a natural wood beadboard.

here are some examples. pick and choose what you like and copy into your room.

I love the colors in this one, above. grays/blacks, blush, white and natural wood. look on craigslist for vintage mcm style nightstands. you can also do Ikea and look at how to 'hack' their items. (Pinterest, Ikea Hacks)

Love these paint colors with that style room.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks so much!
  • Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ooooooooo I like the wood ones! Thanks!! I like how that would look.
  • Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Katinparadise love it! Thanks!
  • Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok so I think we are going with this Grey headboard from West Elm. The other one I posted seemed cheaply made, so we decided we might as well get something that’s gonna last even though it’s a bit pricey. My question is: wood or white frame? I’m leaning towards wood, but think the white might be nice too.
  • Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Beth for some reason I’m just now seeing your post, but thanks for such a detailed response!! This is all super helpful and now that I’ve chosen a bed frame I can use your suggestions to complete the look!! Love it!
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

I like the wood frame. If you're going for a Scandi type feel, I think it would fit in nicely. It will also warm things up a bit and keep the room from feeling too cold and sterile.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Off topic, but does anyone have suggestions for what to put on the shelves in our bathroom? I was thinking a small basket for towels and a couple jars for cotton swabs and stuff, but that won’t be enough. Maybe a picture or something. We are putting a pic of the Golden Gate Bridge on the wall that has a black frame. Our pic is more white than cream. I’ll post a pic. Ignore the faucet. I didn’t realize there were three holes so I’m gonna look for a new one.
  • Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok so I’ve had to put off our bedroom for the past few months because, we’ll, life lol. We were aggressively paying down our car loan to get it over with, but now we’re gonna have extra money for this update. So excited. I’ve made a decision on the bed frame and I will attach a pic of the final choice. I will also post two rug options, which I believe were suggested above, and see which one you guys suggest we go with.

We also plan to sand down and paint our nightstands white to save money. They’re solid wood and in really good condition, so I think it’s best to just give them a face-lift. Will also probably change the hardware, so suggestions on those are welcome.

We are gonna move the bed to the other large wall as suggested, and I need recommendations on a dresser because our current one is from ikea and falling apart.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok these are two rug options, which I forgot to include above. What size should they be with a queen bed?

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh and I also like this rug a lot too.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

A 5x8 can work with a queen but a 6x9 would be even better. Here's a guide that might help.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katinparadeise Thanks! That’s super helpful!

• Ellen Tracy
    4 years ago

I see the bed from Thuma does not have a bed spring, you need a bed spring unless you want to wake up with a sore back every day.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s meant to be that way. It’s a platform bed, so we should be fine. If not, I believe they have a great return policy.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Should dresser be white like the nightstands, or walnut like the bed frame?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think a lot of Houzzers will scroll on by your dilemma when they see the 2018 date. Start a new one and add a link to this old one so people can follow previous commentary but won't be side tracked by the old date on this one.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good idea!! Will do that

• Brenda Ritter
    4 years ago

Steph L.! What did you end up doing? I just bought the exact Thuma bedframe and CANNOT decide on white/wood/mixture for the nightstands and dresser! While I love the Thuma bedframe, the actual color of wood is a bit yellow...not a rich walnut (my floors are a darker walnut) so I'm struggling to imagine what would look best. What did you do??

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Brenda So I ended up buying the walnut dresser and am gonna paint my nightstands white. Haven’t bought the thumbs yet, but will this year. Am praying it all comes together!!! It’s been a slow process so sorry for the late response. Will post a pic when done

• Brenda Ritter
    3 years ago

Steph! HA HA HA!! I LITERALLY just ordered the Envelo dresser (walnut and white combined) from Article this morning! My process has been super slow too. I bought cheap nightstands from Target in Walnut that I love! Good luck! Mine is coming together well...I'm sure yours will too! BTW...I LOVE my Thuma bed!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Haha what a coincidence! And that’s so good to know about Thuma!! It looks amazing and like something we will be happy with for a long time. I can’t WAIT to order!!!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok guys! I finally made a lot of progress on our room! We bought a thuma bed and the walnut dresser I posted about earlier. Shelf is from Etsy and painting is the last painting my grandpa made for me. Lmk what you think!! Plants and lumbar pillow (made my my SIL from Guatemala) coming soon!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The nightstands were repainted. Used to be black. We also switched up the hardware to freshen them up. Very happy with how they turned out

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

great job on the nightstands. i like the white.

what do you think about doing some sconces over them?

I feel like a hanging plant in the corner would look fit perfectly w/your decor

I tried out two of the sconces here.

or maybe in the other corner?

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOVE the idea a sconces!! Will check out a few options!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I do like grandpas artwork, but what if you moved it to the other wall and used a larger piece w/the pillow colors over the bed? It's larger and fits that space, plus the colors really pop w/all of the white

grandpas piece would look nice over by the chair, or maybe in a collage w/some of his other paintings

oh, and the sconces can be hardwired, or, some can just be plugged into the outlet. (but you'll see the cord) West Elm has some
    these are Rejuvenation

amazon?

https://www.amazon.ca/Sconces-JACKYLED-Industrial-Simplicity-Finished/dp/B07RWGZX53/ref=as_li_ss_tl?dchild=1&keywords=jackyled&qid=1597086004&sr=8-9&linkCode=sl1&tag=valleyandbi0c-20&linkId=fa7caa1fce72405f318a74d25e9c1a6a&language=en_CA&th=1

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love these ideas! He painted me a bunch of paintings, so that’s for sure an option. Just waiting on a pillow from Guatemala that my SIL made. The fabric is from a small myan town. We chose the fabric when we visited, but I honestly don’t remember what we went with lol! I believe there are going to be two options, so I need to wait and see what they look like. I think I’m getting rid of the teal pillows.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

Nice progress. The nightstands look great. it will be fun to see the pillows when they get here from Guatemala!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth: love all of those! What do you think of these? And there are gonna be two pillow options, and one has red in it I think. I forget though haha. Shoulda took pics

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

those are cute!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Husband liked those so I ordered them to see how we like them in person. If not I’ll try one of the ones you linked. Can’t wait to have it all come together!! Seriously considering moving the shelf to the other wall with a couple more of grandpas paintings. Thanks for your help so far!!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is a picture of one of the covers, and you can kind of see the other one behind it (the red pattern). I’m leaning more towards the red, but we’ll see when they get here.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok they have arrived! They’re a little longer than I thought, but which do you guys prefer? Also, sconces came but haven’t had time to do anything with them. Will try tomorrow

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, I obviously still need to get a pillow for the inside

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i like the colors. and they match your pup!

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not sure how I feel about either of them, but I’m hoping one of them grows on me while I’m waiting for the pillow

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok i installed one of the sconces all by myself! What do we think? I’m really liking it! And I stuffed the pillow too

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And we definitely need something else above the bed to go with everything, but I think aside from that everything goes well together

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

well, I like these better

lol, but yours are still cute. I'm thinking they're a tad high though? because the light goes up, I think you can lower them a bit. But if you like 'em, it's all that matters!

to make the cord less noticeable, you can pull it taut and secure it, maybe paint it the wall color, or get a cord cover for it.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Haha I actually really like those too! And I see what you mean about them being too high. Might lower them a bit. Definitely gonna do something about the cords. Best option might be to paint them, or maybe secure them. See what my husband thinks when he comes home.

• Steph L.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh and my husband doesn’t want a big rig because he loves the floors, but I was thinking something small at the foot of the bed. Suggestions/opinions welcome!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

what's a big rig? oh you mean rug?

well the rug only goes under part of the bed and isn't meant to cover the entire floor

only goes under that last 1/3 or the bed, and covers just a little larger than the bed itself.

like so: