Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlmackay

most durable, stain-resistant area rugs?

nlmackay
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have hardwood floors in my dining room and living room and I'm in the market for new area rugs. The old area rugs are so filthy! I have 2 young sons and a dog. What would be my best option for an area rug that would be durable and stand up to stains? Would an indoor/outdoor rug look weird? Should I go for a jute or sisal? Also I have brown leather couches in my living room, so I don't want to choose too dark of a color. Would a natural fiber rug look rustic with brown leather? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    10 years ago
    With your household I would not recommend a natural fibre like jute or sisal because they cannot be cleaned. A wool rug in a good quality has lots of natural lanoline which means it can be professionally cleaned and keep looking good for a long time. Otherwise, I'd recommend an inexpensive polypropylene rug or an indoor/outdoor rug because they are virtually indestructible. Polypropylene is solution dyed and impermeable to stains. I find it a bit creepy feeling on bare feet, but if it doesn't bother you, then that's great. But first, you might want to have your existing rugs cleaned and see if they are salvageable.
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! We tried cleaning them and they are beyond cleaning. I made the mistake of buying a tone on tone ivory rug from Pottery Barn. Looks good, but what was I thinking??? Would an indoor/outdoor rug look weird with brown leather w/ nailhead furniture?
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It depends! I've seen some really nice ones from Feizy or Hellenic (can't remember which) that you'd never know you could use outside. My preference would be for something that looks like the wool rug (a Turkish tribal rug?) that would be the ideal addition to your room. So check suppliers that make polypolylene rugs in colours and styles that mimic the traditional rugs. When you squint at your room, it should look cohesive and the rug needs to go with your style. In the future, you can upgrade to something wonderful :)
    nlmackay thanked Cynthia Taylor-Luce
  • trinityequine
    9 years ago
    Great post- as owner of four little dogs with big 'tudes resistant to doing biz 100% outside, rug cleaning has become a second job. The idea of a washable indoor/outdoor is a practical and reasonably stylish alternative.
  • evelynhort
    9 years ago
    Great post. It was so helpful.
  • tmg999
    8 years ago
    Elizabeth, I can't believe those are indoor/outdoor rugs! I love the one in image 2! Can you tell me where it's from? Thanks and helpful post!
  • User
    8 years ago
    This post is over 2 years old.
  • myaglubpanny
    8 years ago

I noticed that RugsUSA has a beautiful polypropylene rug that looks like an antique Persian rug, plus they are having a sale--the rug is $74.

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love the natural rugs, like sisal and jute. I bought one from Pottery Barn and my Roomba vacuum is pulling it all apart :( Anyone else have this issue?

• User
    8 years ago
    You need to use a suction only vacuum, no beater bar or brushes. Miel makes a good one.