Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_farm

Young Willow tree attacked - can i do anything?

sabine_farm
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello all. I planted a weeping willow tree in Spring and it has been growing very well - until now.

I came home from work and the bottom half of its trunk has been very damaged.

There are wood shavings all around it, and the entire trunk circumference has been stripped.

We often have deer in our yard, so it may have been a buck, or some other monster. I have temporarily surrounded it with fencing and will fix something more permanent at the weekend.

Aside from physically protecting, is there anything I can do to help it recover? Wrap the bare wood?

(I'm in NC - zone 7b)

I enclose some photos. I'll be so sad to lose it :-(

Comments (12)

• krnuttle
    5 years ago

Personally I think it is going to die and should be replaced. If you know where there is a WIllow tree, put a hanging branch in water, and when the roots appear, plant it. They grow fast and will be the size of the one lost in a couple of years.

If here is continuous bark that it is a willow, and grow quite vigorously, so it possibly could survive.

Personally I think it is going to die and should be replaced. If you know where there is a Willow tree, put a hanging branch in water, and when the roots appear, plant it. They grow fast and will be the size of the one lost in a couple of years.

sabine_farm thanked krnuttle
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I totally agree with Smivies. It has a good root system developed which will resprout.

sabine_farm thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    5 years ago

If you know where there is a Willow tree,

-->>> uhmmmm.. there one in the pic ... lol ...

i would take 4 or 5 one foot tip cuttings.. and either stick them in the ground somewhere ... or in a pot ... and see if they root .....

i would also do the other method.. and come about mid summer.. i would make sure to reduce to one strong trunk ...

im not sure its a deer issue .... i dont really know why.. its just a gut feeling ...

it looks like the cage had been there long term.. if so.. definitely not deer ....

whatever it was.. it probably had a headache.. and needed to base chemical of an aspirin .. lol .... https://duckduckgo.com/?q=acetylsalicylic+acid+willow&t=ffcm&ia=about

check this out: https://home-remedies.wonderhowto.com/how-to/make-aspirin-from-willow-tree-0142525/

as noted.. with no insult to the root mass ... i wouldnt be surprised that it isnt back to this size.. in a year or two ...

ken

sabine_farm thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • sabine_farm
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

UPDATE and question...

I trimmed off the wood shavings and wrapped the trunk with a breathable protective tree wrap a few days after this happened. I thought I may as well leave it in the ground to see if it survives.

It has sprouted many green leaves and generally looks healthy, but now I’m not sure what to do about the damaged trunk. I want to remove the wrap, but don’t want it to get sunburn, especially as I’m guessing the cambium hasn’t grown back. Also it has some shoots growing at the base and some even pushing through the wrap. Usually I would cut the shoots at the base off, but as the cambium had been rubbed off around the entire circumference of the trunk, I’m unsure how it can get nutrients up to the top of the tree. Could the green leaves have grown using nutrients stored over winter in the branches?

If this is the case, then I expect to see it start to wither if it can no longer pull up nutrients through the trunk. I‘m planning to leave the base shoots in case that happens, and then I,d cut the trunk off at the ground just above the base shoot.

So my question really is what do you guys think? i enclose some photos. Thanks for any feedback!

• Huggorm
    5 years ago

You should take that wrap off and take a look at the damage. The tree will start widening the remaining bark strip as soon as it can and it will be clearly visible. Only then do you know if you should keep that water sprout. But I have seen threes with even more buck rub survive so there is still hope

sabine_farm thanked Huggorm
  • wayne
    5 years ago

You can keep anything below the damaged area. Yes you are correct that the new growth is from stored sugars and the tree wrap has helped it for a bit,

sabine_farm thanked wayne
  • User
    5 years ago

I agree. Take off the wrap.

The wrap is only preventing or slowing new shoots from coming out of the trunk along that area.

After the wrap is off, and new shoots develop, I would choose the highest new shoot, below the damaged part and train that to be the new trunk. Cut off the rest of the damaged part just above it.

The wound, where you cut will encapsulate and eventually heal over and be hardly noticeable in time. Maybe a slight jog in the trunk.

Very rarely will a tree that is rubbed all the way down to the sap wood and completely 360d around, heal itself.

sabine_farm thanked User
  • sabine_farm
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone!

i shall take the wrap off tomorrow and wait for the lower shoots to grow a bit more before decapitating it :-(

• Michelle Black
    2 years ago

well, I'm in this same situation, now that it's been two years since your last post, can you give an update?

• Patty Schlegel
    2 years ago

Im also in the same situation and would love to know the outcome of your tree

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Results can be variable so it's hard to venture a guess. I hate this time of year when the bucks come into the yard!

I've lost one young coral bark maple but a second healed and survived. A mahonia Charity is recovering from being completely broken last year. It seems like each year they pick on something never before touched - like a hydrangea purchased at Heronswood years ago. I only wish they'd leave my plants out of their mating rituals....;0)