Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Thought you might enjoy seeing . . .

7 years ago

'Sui Mei Ren'

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.62517.3


See photo, next "comment" . . .

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    You captured that so beautifully Jeri! I feel as if I could touch it. Does it have very soft petals? There's something about these blooms that have the deeper coloration interior that's so compelling ... for me at least! Is this from your garden?

  • 7 years ago

    Yes. But it's not in the ground yet (tho it needs to be). It opens very slowly, and there is a remarkably strong fragrance. It's wholly disease-free here, as well. And the foliage is unusual and handsome.

    I think it deserves to be better known, and more-widely grown, don't you?

  • 7 years ago

    Wow! That foliage is unique! What a beautifuI shade of green. I always see the name of this rose, but never realized what a gorgeous thing it is. Is it lasting in the vase? I usually don't cut many of mine, but I hope to grow some in the warm colours that will look nice in my house. My slowest opener is a modern, First Crush, and I love that aspect, but sometimes I just want to tell it to HURRY UP and OPEN! LOL!

  • 7 years ago
    I love the pic on HMF . It's beautiful and I also love it's foliage too.
    Vap is right. It is unique :)
    Jeri, you took amazing pics and capture it's beauty.
    Yes, we all need to have it and yes, it should be more widely known.
    So many roses just wish I have a bigger yard...lol

    jin
  • 7 years ago

    I ordered this rose earlier this summer from Rose Petals Nursery and will keep my fingers crossed this winter. Any thoughts on hardiness? I just could not resist, your photos have been so lovely.

  • 7 years ago

    Reminds me a bit of Souvenir de la Malmaison--especially in some of the pictures on HMF.

  • 7 years ago

    No. Very unlike SdlM in person. It's larger bloom, with many, many petals that have more substance. In fact, I can't grow SdlM here. (And I have tried at least 4 times.) It turns into a nasty pile of mildew -- so bad that blooms don't open.

    The color's different, too. This rose is far more "amber" than SdlM

    I hope to have it in the ground soon, so I can see what it will do.

  • 7 years ago

    I understand, but that picture uploaded by North Houston Roses could pass for Souvenir de la Malmaison.


    I wasn't trying to imply that it was SdlM, just saying it reminded me of it.

  • 7 years ago

    This gorgeous rose seems to be very changeable in color. The petal conformation is so unique. If the blooms are larger than SdlM then it must be quite spectacular. I have SdlM but have to admit that Sui Mei Ren is actually more appealing to me with all those hundreds of pointy, overlapping petals, and of course it has the charm of the new. I'd love to see your specimen next spring and summer, Jeri, in case you get it in the ground this winter (or even if you don't).

  • 7 years ago

    I didn't see the North Houston Roses image, until I looked for it on HMF. I've never seen that solid light pink on 'Sui Mei Ren' -- but different conditions do commonly make alterations in color.

    I CAN say that 'Sui Mei Ren' is, as Ingrid mentions, quite changeable as to color. To some extent, even to form -- Here's a spring photo, with fewer petals:


    And here's one that's more yellow-ish:

    But what I would call "salmon pink" is most common, here:


    And, yes. The blooms are quite large! It's a very interesting (and I think, worthwhile) rose.