0

Pool cage/pool screen alternatives to keep cat safe

Allie Smallwood
Anyone have any updates ideas for enclosing a pool to keep our special kitty safe? She loves to be out with us while we lounge and swim. Just feeling like pool cages and pool screens will date the house
  • Missi Rogge (4b IA)

Special as in she's special to you or she's special needs and requires assistance? My gramma has a pool and it's a requirement here to have a fence around the yard. I'm not sure what a pool cage or pool screen is-something specifically only around the pool? If your kitty doesn't require special assistance, you could put something along the edge of the pool in a few spots in case she fell in...tho I would assume if she loves to be out there when you're out there...you'd be available to offer assistance?? I'd rather my house be considered "dated" than have something happen to my cat. Or--I guess if I didn't want a "dated" looking house I wouldn't allow my cat outside.

• jmm1837
    I live in Australia, where pool fencing is mandatory - and for good reason. There's nothing dated about the look of glass fencing around a pool (expensive) but a standard wrought iron fence can look good too.
  • katinparadise

If pool cages date a house, then almost every house in Florida is dated. It's hard to find a pool without a cage. I love them because they keep bugs out while we sit outside as well. We also added a vinyl fence all the way around our yard both for privacy and for the dogs and cat. They guaranteed the cat couldn't get under it and for the 5 years he was with us here, he never did. The vinyl was also impossible to climb because there was nothing to grip.

Anglophilia

When we built our small fish pond in our garden, I was very worried about our cats and dogs - knew someone when we lived in LA who had a beloved elderly poodle drown in their swimming pool.

So we built it with about a 6-8" ledge a couple of inches under the water - something a struggling pet might well get a claw into. We also built steps out of this small pond - again so a pet would quickly grab hold.

A few puppies jumped into the pond and quickly swam to the steps and crawled out - learned very quickly that was a no-no. Cats used to drink water out of the pond - no problem.

Then our nearly 15 year old Cavalier fell into the small folding fence we had put around the pond just for him. He fell in the fence, it bent, he rolled smack dab into the pond, took a huge snort of water and was dead instantly. It was awful! I tried mouth-to-mouth for 10 minutes but he was gone.

I'm not sure there is anyway to totally protect an elderly pet from the dangers of a pond or pool, other than never allowing the pet out in the yard. With a younger, healthy one, it won't be a problem.

• mcbriec

Thank you for being so safety conscious for your beloved pet. I had a friend whose cat ended up in the pool, but found him in time before he drowned. Ditto for another friend who found her dog in the pool before he drowned.

Like Anglophilia, we always designed our ponds so that our pets (or any other animal) could climb out of them. I am sure this would be much more difficult with a full pool. I would suggest letting your cat outside only when you are present. I would also try to find out whether there is any kind of prefabricated gripping mesh or ledge material which would enable animals to climb out. Peace of mind is priceless.

• jn3344

The cages are not dated. Just think of keeping out the bugs. The cat is a bonus.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I am unclear about what your concern is. Do you want to keep your pet safe from falling into the pool and drowning, or do you want your cat to be able to be outdoors within an enclosed pool area, but not escape out into the wider world?

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)

There is plenty of cat fencing out there both to purchase, to add to an existing fencing, or designs from which to build . But if you find screen rooms unattractive then the cat fencing will likely be horrific to you as it is by its very nature quite obtrusive. There is typically a top portion that angles inside and down that prevents a cat going over the top as well as barriers to fit any trees and prevent climbing.

Here's a link to one but a google search for "cat+fence" will show you many more vendors.

I'd go screen room all the way if only to keep the bugs off of me.

Where I live it is code to enclose the pool with a fence that has a locking gate, we have neibors cats and squirrels hanging out by the pool all the time never had one go in the pool, I am pretty sure they are smarter than that. Our old dog on the other hand would have jumped in no problem so we kept the gate closed

• just_janni

You can get an auto safety cover that will keep animals out of the pool. It's also kid safe, too. As the owner of a blind dog, I will be doing same.

• Missi Rogge (4b IA)

cearbhalll, we'll be doing something like that on our backyard fence so we can let our kitties into the backyard. We'd been fine until one figured out she could scale the fence and then one of the other two copied her.

• Allie Smallwood
    Thanks guys for all the good feed back. Realized from one comment that it wasn’t clear what I was asking. We want our cat to be able to be outside in our enclosed pool area (so she can chase lizards) but not escape into the world.

Really wanted to do something like this for pool design, and I think you can see where a screen/cage would take away from it. But better to keep Keke (and future puppy!) safe! Oh and by the way, she is just a normal “special” furbaby lol, not requiring special needs. Thanks everyone!
  • Mrs. S Wants Sophie Back

That landscape reminds me of where I live in So Cal. If so, the greatest danger to your cat is a coyote. Outdoor cats are coyote snacks.

However, if the coyote situation is somehow a non-issue for you, then consider a catio for your cat. Google catio and be amazed at the creativity. I would do that before fencing in the pool. Cats can jump fences anyway.

• Mrs. S Wants Sophie Back

Oh, one more thing, since I read your last comment more closely. If you are designing a pool, and you have pets, consider long steps and/or a baja shelf, for the pets to climb out in case of an emergency, and then train them to use it. There are also water alarms for this purpose. However, we have dogs and don't let them out without supervision, due to concerns about coyotes and drowning.

• robin0919

Cats HATE water. I don't understand the problem. Just try to wash something off your cat.....you better have on VERY heavy gloves up to your elbows. I know from experience.

• Missi Rogge (4b IA)

I don't know that it's so much she's expecting the cat to do a purposeful swan dive into the pool so much as the accidental oops I'm too close or whatever. Most cats do hate water, but not all of them. I've had a couple that took baths with me and one that would sit at the end of the tub when I took a shower. Just depends.., and who knows what sort of circumstances could lead to a cat ending up in water-it happens! Better to be prepared right!

• lyfia

I think most are reading this wrong. I don't think the OP is concerned about the cat getting into the water as much as she's concerned the cat getting out into the outside. I'm reading it as the cat is an indoor only cat and they would like to be able to have the indoor only cat out with them in the pool area without escaping outside. But maybe I have it wrong.

I think a pool enclosure is probably less obtrusive than anything else if you landscape around it as well with large pots strategically placed. A fence wouldn't stop the kitty without it being really tall and having something to prevent from getting over which I think would be more unsightly.

• lyfia

Google rectangular pool and enclosure and see if you can find any inspiration pics that looks better than others.

Here's one. I'm thinking if placing large pots with plants to hide the frame parts and have some large unobstructed panels might help.

https://www.homeandgardendesignideas.com/ideas/rectangular-pool-hot-tub-under-enclosure-96479

• Saypoint 7a CT

Maybe a portable outdoor kitty play pen would work. Outdoor kitty

• suzyq53

Yep, that looks like coyoteville for sure. Kitty needs to stay inside unless you build her a big catio and hang with her there.

• rockybird

There are some light weight temporary fences that you can buy. You might look into those.. This is probably what I would buy. You can set it up when youre out with your cat, and take them down when she’s inside. YOu could even cordone an area off for her outside, so you dont have to enclose the whole pool.

• Allie Smallwood
    Lyfia, thank you, very helpful!!
  • katinparadise

Another advantage of the pool cages is that the screens actually provide some UV protection when you're outside.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)