0

white quartz countertops....turmeric staining.

Fsal
Hello everyone. Ready for some sage advice and tips right about now. Nearing the end of our new build (ha, right!) and at the point of choosing countertops. Kitchen is in, appliances coming in soon, trim is being put up, etc. My designer and I, when we had been choosing tile for the bathrooms had fallen in love with a countertop they had at Ciot, and had decided to go with that countertop material almost six months ago. We planned everything around it, the colors of the cabinets, the look and flow of the kitchen, etc. Well this week the fabricator that’s doing our counters came out and we showed him the counters we had planned on, he took his keys out, and scratched up that counter material pretty quick. Advised strongly against it, and mentioned others who had problems with it. Which of course is great to know before spending the $$ on it, but not exactly great cuz most things were planned around it.

So now we are back to square one of choosing counters. Went to several suppliers in the last three days, picked up plenty of samples of quartz that went well with the white of the cabinets and look of the room. My ethnicity is Indian, and I use a lot of turmeric in my food. So I decided to do a turmeric test not just cuz it’s a highly staining spice, but because I use it practically every other day so it’s a reality of what goes on in my kitchen. Stained all my final quartz samples/contenders, left it for five minutes, and it came off only with an SOS hard sponge thing. Left it on again for about thirty minutes and I’m not able to get the stains off. Tried the SOS sponge, tried Magic Marker, tried an Oxy Clean paste. There’s still a faint yellow color.

So now...is there seriously any white quartz countertop that can hold up to a turmeric stain? This is going to affect my entire kitchen design!!!

I’ve read several other threads on this...and it seems that Silestone white might be a quartz that can handle turmeric stains? Any other choices/advice of what has worked for people?

Beth H. :

well,,,I love it,,,but,,,,,I think if doing the accent I'd go for the black/white/MOP.

this is gorge! My fave. And, if doing this, I would do that chevron white marble that you like. I think these two would look fabulous together (and, you won't have those subways!)

If doing the entire splash (15K?? lol) then I like the diamond one.

your gold is really a bit player in the kitchen. the black is more prominent. so if going for the accent over the stove, I vote the black/white one. You can always edge the blk/white accent w/a gold Schluter Jolly.

• Fsal
    I think I’m leaning towards that too. One of the salespeople told me the brass could rust or get ruined with all the steam from the cooking. Although I contacted artistic tile and they told me “it should be fine.” The other con of the diamond pattern is that it’s honed and the herringbone is polished.
    The black and white picks up the detail of the ceiling. I think it’s gonna be the winner. Lucky for me it’s the most affordable option as well. I’ll take a better picture of the Burano black and white tomorrow, to hopefully see how it’ll look photoshopped.
  • greenfish1234

Sounds amazing!! If you can get a straight on photo with as little tilt as possible I can try to photoshop:)

• Fsal
    Thank you so so much for all your help everyone!!
    Beth H. :

yes,,I tried to put these in for you,,,but need a straight on, level shot

comes in the gray/gold too

I tried to photo shop it as an accent on this kitchenn

and yours. You could do the smaller framed size, using this Jolly for the edging

• Fsal
    We used schluter for edging in my basement kitchen tiles. It turned out amazing. Adding the picture here.

Beth, I like how the entire part under the range looks with the black and white. What are your do’s and Dont’s of the range feature tile?
    Beth H. :

yes. exactly what you should do above the range.

I'm ocd when it comes to symmetry. so, that would be my biggest concern. determine if you want to do the entire space under the hood, or a framed portion. if the latter, do some math and figure out where it's to be place so that all 4 sides are symmetrical w/the surrounding tile:

see how perfectly even the surrounding tiles are around the design?

Below, bad example. although the accent is ok, it appears too small in proportion to the rest of the kitchen.

I also like an inset niche

you could do the entire wall. do you have exposed area on the side of the vent hood, like this pic?

or does the vent hood go all the way across so that there is no wall visible ?

some other pics

• greenfish1234

Beth what are your thoughts about the "accent" tile...just for example, oh, IDK, this one?,

On the entire backsplash of the wall the stove is on, then the sink area and all other walls are the herringbone? Does that ever work?

I'm curious about the size of the floral pattern-if it is as small as your photoshop its beauty might be lost from a distance. Plus I'm still not over the diamonds...

I am glad to know that the whole under-hood area, not just a small square. Can be done in accent tile just in case.

Fsal. "Basement kitchen??" What are you BUILDING, girl? I think you should make that a beautiful basement dance floor and get me my $15k backsplash :D

• greenfish1234

Ok it look looks a bit bigger in real life I think:

• Fsal
    @greenfish I’ll get you a better pic tomorrow. It’s bigger in real life. Sorry shouldn’t have said kitchen for the basement lol, it’s a kitchenette. Fridge, cabinetry, microwave, and sink for kids and their friends to use when they’re down there.
    @beth, there will be some wall showing on the sides of the hood. I mean technically they’re building it right now. They texted me today about it. I could change it so there’s no space there. What do you think?
  • greenfish1234

Hmmm exploiting wall showing above the hood could get dicey because the cabinets to not meet the ceiling on either side. Could turn a $15k job in to a $30k job!!

I'm glad to hear your beautiful kitchen doesn't have a basement doppelgänger! That was too much to take in!

I'm looking forward to seeing add'l pics of the mop flowers. They are stunning, although I tend to think, now that Beth confirms that it is one way to do it "right," that my preference would be this:

Or, IF she says this is one way it could be done "right," and you can splurge for some more, the whole range wall in the accent tile and the herringbone on the remaining walls.

I agree that if you do a smaller section you will get more bang for your buck with the mop design. But I like the idea of picking up the minor accent (brass) as opposed to the major accent (black), so that may be why the diamonds appeal to me especially.

• RedRyder
    Following. What a gorgeous kitchen so far.
  • Fsal
    I think that’s the question. Make the accent brass or black? The hardware will be brass keep that in mind. I’m also just a bit wary if the diamond pattern being honed next to the polished herringbone.
  • Fsal
    Hi @Laura! I’ve seen that one and have the sample also. It’s got lots of grey. I don’t think it’ll work. Had I done my counters in quartz I would have gone that route. I have one final tile store in my area left to visit. He gets his stuff at crazy amazing prices and has good waterjet mosaics. Hopefully tomorrow. That way I know I’ve exhausted all choices.
  • Fsal
    Do tile shops negotiate prices??
  • Fsal
    Omg. Look at what just showed up on my Houzz feed. I wonder what that is?? Tile? Metal?
  • Laura Mac

Fsal, it's all so gorgeous! Sorry, it's hard to read through everything, but have you thought of going full slab splash with the same stone as your counters? And then tuck the gorgeous diamonds/waterjet into the smaller splash sections?

I would vote for a full wall, a not a square inset above the stove. Full feature walls of backsplash tile or stone are to die for. To me, the inset above the stove is sort of 'out' of style, and the labor involved in making it perfectly proportioned is going to be so tricky. Unless you had a recessed niche made now, or had columns coming down to have a natural division, I'd go full wall to ceiling of the same....

You have GORGEOUS and FABULOUS taste! I LOVE the diamonds! I saved that a long time back to.

And I posted this one and realized someone else did too.... I think whatever you choose, negotiate price.

Where did you get those crystal balls for the island legs? Those are soooo fun!

• Laura Mac

A dark splash could be a stunner.... Wish I could photoshop for you...

https://tilebar.com/kaleidoscope-mystique-marble-tile.html

• Laura Mac

Fsal, have you ruled out a fabulous marble full slab splash? There is NOTHING more beautiful than natural stone and from across the room, you'd never tire of looking at it.... And easier to clean with no grout lines...

• Fsal
    @laura when we were deciding the options for the legs on the island, my kitchen designer showed me a whole bunch and those crystal ones were one of the choices. You’d be shocked to know that they were actually cheaper than so many of the other options! Such a fun addition. My carpenter keeps telling me he wants to add LED lights and make them disco balls. Haha.
  • Laura Mac

Oh how fun! I'll look into the crystal balls for sure (not a pun). If you have information on those, please post!

And the carpenter would think that!! Hahaha. He's onto something!

• Laura Mac

This is so beautiful too, could be exquisite.

https://tilebar.com/requiem-gold-10x30-glass-wall-tile.html

• Fsal
    The maker of the cabinets is Brookhaven.
  • Fsal
    Here ya go @greenfish!
  • Fsal
    Better pic of the space in question.
  • greenfish1234

roughly how big was that square Fsal?

• greenfish1234

I'm seeing now that the openin for the stove is smaller than the opening for the hood. Does that mean there will be space between The edges at the widest point of the hood and the upper cabinets? With the Plan be to run tile like this under the hood?

Or will the hood be bigger than the stove? If so would a feature be wider than the stove?

• Fsal
    The tile sample at the store was probably a foot by a foot. The hood will probably be about one or two inches wider than the stove. Something like this.
  • greenfish1234

Ok-we're you planning on taking this section to the ceiling?

• Fsal
    Yes hood goes all the way up to the ceiling.

Backsplash tile i had been planning on taking to the top of the cabinetry.
  • greenfish1234

SO then will the hood be aligned with the top of the cabinets?

• greenfish1234

Ok here ya go! A bit choppy. I have to say I really miss the warmth of the other one! Of course lighting from the source photos differs so can change the warmth a lot

• greenfish1234

Oh I just saw that the hood goes to ceiling but the tile won't. I think I would bring the tile to the ceiling in that case, but here is the concep:

• Laura Mac

Fsal, be sure to go to the ceiling with the cabinets if you can! Makes all the difference in the world.

• Fsal
    @laura I actually don’t like the cabinets going all the way up. Decided against it. There’ll be crown molding on the walls and then molding on the top of the cabinets also.

@greenfish it looks nice. You’re right though about the diamonds bringing warmth. Will need to think both options out...
  • Fsal
    So remember I said there’s one last tile store I didn’t try? I found this there. They’re ordering me a sample. If I did this, it’s definitely affordable enough to do it everywhere in the kitchen. Not just a feature.
  • greenfish1234

That is really lovely. It certainly has some of the qualities that made the diamonds special, and the ones it doesn't have are probably worth forgoing for the ability to do the whole kitchen

• greenfish1234

I should say too...it has some qualities the diamonds don't! I love the curving lines as well as the mosaic :)

• greenfish1234

Did you bring a sample back? This horrible rendering doesn't show how it would likely warm up in your lighting.

• greenfish1234

Ok so as if it matters I will rank my personal favorites. Eliminating whole kitchen in the diamond ;)

1) whole accent wall (if in the budget) in the diamond. Other walls in herringbone. The larger scale of the pattern and bolder brass accents along with the movement in the natural tiles make this my favorite

2) large (not a small rectangle) stove accent in the diamond

A close 3rd, will probably look 1000x better in real life, but does appear to lack the boldness and warmth of the diamond, whole kitchen in this gorgeous new tile:

The ones with the black seem to me to be overplaying the black, which is already hugely present, and also look busy. The ones without the gold lack that really unusual (to me) and stunning choice, as well as the warmth it brings which ties to the counters and hood. I can't wait to see what you pick :)

ETA: not sure about the accent wall idea since the backsplash on this wall will probably lack symmetry due to appliance on the left? So probably a close call between 2 and 3 for me.

• Fsal
    @greenfish, I really appreciate your help. I’m going to have to decide by the end of this week. I’ll post a sample of the new tile when they give it to me.
  • ljptwt7
    I think your new tile find is beautiful.
  • Fsal
    Just got a different sample from Floor &Decor. Has anyone ever used them? Their prices seem a little too good to be true. Lol. Another option!!
  • Laura Mac

Fsal, yes I saw those and look on their site all the time. They have gorgeous things! Most come from China (read the box), but I wouldn't think there should be an issue, but perhaps someone that has used it before can comment on the quality....

Is that this one? i love it

https://www.flooranddecor.com/stone-decoratives/phoenix-royal-white-brass-waterjet-marble-mosaic-100484369.html#start=53

• Laura Mac

You can buy a bunch and lay them out and see if you like. If not, return to the store. Super easy.

• Fsal
    Yes! That’s the one!
    Debbi Washburn

Waiting to see the final product!

Beth H. :

Fsal,,,F&D prices are cheap because they use a lower quality product. some marble can discolor over time due to minerals and such in the stone itself. It's hard to say if the one you picked will. You just have to know that they deal in 2nds or cheaper quality. I mean, at this juncture in your kitchen, is using a lesser quality material really worth the $500 or 1K you'll save?

• Fsal
    @beth so happy you replied. Thanks for that info! I had a weird feeling and was thinking there must be some reason their prices are so darn cheap.
  • RedRyder
    There is ALWAYS a reason an expensive looking product is too cheaply priced to be true. The quality is compromised somewhere. Unless it a discontinued, but quality, product (in which case you need to buy a lot of overage to last your house’s life time. Things from China are rarely good quality.