0

Growing From Seed

Jeff (5b)
last modified: November 7, 2018

This is a continuation of Seedling Photos, a thread started where I posted some photos of seedlings. As time went on, others joined in and there was some discussion. Perhaps this could be the place to discuss growing cactus and succulents from seed, in addition to displaying photos.

• tanpexoctics Willis

Looking good Jeff

Jeff (5b) thanked tanpexoctics Willis
  • isde02(zone5b)

2 Dioscorea Mexicana seedlings still in with a hoya but starting to take over.

Jeff (5b) thanked isde02(zone5b)
  • tanpexoctics Willis

Looking good those are going to be nice caudex with so many leaves got a pic of caudex on them or they buried

• isde02(zone5b)
    They're buried. I was tempted to take a peek but they're doing so well that I haven't bothered.
  • tanpexoctics Willis

I bet look nice with that much growth on

• Jeff (5b)

Above: Opuntia

Can't post any other photos right now. !

• ruobet55

I've tried growing cacti from seed, but probably buy too cheap seed - what's a good online source for seeds?

• Jeff (5b)

More Cactus mix. Does anyone know what this hairy stuff is? It seems like some sort of mold. I used the bag method this time.

ruobet, I got this mix from ExoticseedsLatvia on Etsy. The Opuntia was from someone I know on Instagram. I don't know where else to get seed mixes. Mesa Garden is good for individual plant seeds. I also got some variegated Gymnocalycium on Ebay. They're just green right now.

• tanpexoctics Willis

Better than I expected on the Aloe ramosissima I'm almost scared to plant the rest

• aloebot

Tan, plant while still fresh.

• tanpexoctics Willis

Yeah I need to aloe just afraid how many more I will have to care for Lol

• Jeff (5b)

I'm not sure what 12 x 6 (Edit: or 12 x 3) is but probably not enough.

• penfold2

Aloe pronkii @ 3 weeks:

@ 16 weeks:

And the mother plant:

Jeff (5b) thanked penfold2
  • Taylor Pri
    Jeff - the Lauii is beautiful! Obviously it is not easy to grow as you only have one remaining? I have recently become interested in trying my hand at growing from seed, can you recommend a vendor or prior thread with info for beginners? Thanks in advance!
  • Jeff (5b)

Taylor, I only had four out of ten seeds germinate, so I didn't start out with very many. I had a total of three for a while, but two of them would get dislodged now and then if I watered with too much water at once and they died off. Hopefully this one will last.

As far as info for beginners, I like this for Lithops, which is a good guide for almost anything.

https://lithopsblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/06/growing-lithops-from-seed/

• succulentlife

Jeff, the hairy stuff you are referring too looks like mold. I find that opening container (in a case you cover it to ensure high humidity) more often, the seedlings will get more sturdy and won’t bother them as much, but I wasn’t ever able to fully control it (due to FL hot and humid climate).. For that reason I personally don’t cover them any more, and they grow just fine-no mold to report.

Jeff (5b) thanked succulentlife
  • Jeff (5b)

Thanks for the reply. I looked at them and it looks like most of it is gone, now that they've been out of the bag for a few days. I hate the bag method; I just had to try it. Worked pretty well, but not necessary, I don't think.

• Taylor Pri
    Thanks, Jeff!
  • isde02(zone5b)

I lost around 2/3's of my plants in a moving/ cold spike accident so I'm kind of started over. I've been planting seeds like crazy. What's normal germination rates for operculicarya decaryi?

Jeff (5b) thanked isde02(zone5b)
  • tanpexoctics Willis

Isde sorry here the loss looks like your back in the growing good

• isde02(zone5b)
    Thanks Willis, I'm trying
  • stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Sorry to hear you lost so many, Isde. Your new babies are looking good!

• isde02(zone5b)

Thank you Sld, I appreciate it.

• aloebot

Here are 2 projects. Picture 1 is of Bursera fagaroides/odorata. Picture 2 is Agave victoria-reginae.

Jeff (5b) thanked aloebot
  • Jeff (5b)

Lithops karasmontana 'mickbergensis' C168 - those dang hairs!

From mixed seeds

Haworthia hybrid

Echeveria lauii - the only one left

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Jeff, the hair in your first photo made me laugh. You can't go anywhere in our house without seeing a long white hair or multiples there of (we have a long haired white German Shepherd... a.k.a German Shedder, there he is in my avatar pic).

Just got a macro lens, need to take some up close and personal pics of my plant babies.

• Jeff (5b)

We have almost always had two cats, one for the last few years. It's maddening, plus all those mysterious tiny dusty type hairs. I need to put a brush down where my seedlings are, but I always forget to do that before photos anyway.

Hope to see photos soon. Macro photography and plants are such a great combination of hobbies.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Here are some of my cactus babies...

this pot is from a batch of seed marked Astrophytum gift mix (got lots of these)

I think that four of these look like A. ornatum maybe, one A. myriostigma

here's a closer look

and a couple of others from the gift mix batch

The next couple are from seeds labeled A. myriostigma mix. Not sure what's going on with the first one!

Then Mammillaria hahniana c.v. Long Hair. Hopefully some of these will develop long hair :-)

And some of my A. asterias seedlings

The macro lens is so much fun, but such a shallow depth of field! I think manual focus works better, but you move the slightest bit and bam it's out of focus. Think a tripod would help.

• isde02(zone5b)

They're looking good Sld. Yes taking macros a tripod works wonders and I prefer to use manual mode.

• Jeff (5b)

sld, those look great. I especially like the A. myriostigma mix. I find that when not using a tripod, which I almost never do, it's like shooting a rifle or a crossbow (as far as I know). I'll take a breath in, let it out, and then hold it while taking a shot. Sometimes I forget to breathe and get out of breath. Bracing yourself one way or another is also extremely helpful. Lately I've been using a two flash setup for seedlings so that I at least don't have to worry about the shutter speed and holding so still, and I can use a decent aperture setting at ISO 200 instead of 800 or 1600.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

I think I do have a tripod from back in my pre digital SLR days, unless I gave it away somewhere along the way. I should look for it. I have to learn more about my camera and how to set the aperture manually. It was all so much simpler way back with my all manual SLR, lol.

I do find myself holding my breath and bracing myself. I also take a lot of photos and pick out the ones with the better focus later.

Jeff (5b) thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • ruobet55

Trying again....

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Seeds arrived today, hooray!

I've never grown any Pachypodiums or Dorstenia from seed. Those of you that have, do you soak the seeds at all before planting? I do soak Adenium seeds for a couple of hours, but never have for cactus seeds.

• Eryn Falas zone8

With macro, manual focus, rapid/continuous shutter release, a tripod and a remote seem to work best for me. I dont know what this plant is, and it's not from seed, but its tiny, so I think it might count? both photos are of the same plant, it just snapped under weight of the blinds and turned pink. (stupid brother)also, the first one is with my DSLR, while the second is my phone. I've been needing an ID but it might be too small.

Jeff (5b) thanked Eryn Falas zone8
  • Eryn Falas zone8
    I also know that leaving the water on there is bad for the plant, but I thought it looked cool. I dried it off afterwards.
  • isde02(zone5b)

Sld, where are they from? I treat pachypodium seeds just like adenium. I soak for a couple of hours and then sow.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Sounds like a plan, going to start soaking them now. They're from Out of Africa.

• isde02(zone5b)

I thought so. I'm kind of disappointed that they changed the format of their business. I like that they sell seeds now but I liked the plants under $10, I would buy 7 or 8 at a time.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

I am too, but I do like that they're selling seeds. Time marches on and I guess they just needed to move and downsize.

Seeds are potted up and on their heating mat under lights. Now to wait impatiently for them to germinate :-) Decided not to soak the Dorstenia seeds, since they were pretty tiny.

• isde02(zone5b)

Pachypodium baronii, densiflorum, eburneum, and rutenbergianum. Plus jatropha podagrica, and fouquieria diguetti

Jeff (5b) thanked isde02(zone5b)
  • ruobet55

One seeding of Cacti is sprouting!

• isde02(zone5b)

Commiphora africana, and sp. Mdokora. Fouquieria splendens. Operculicarya decaryi

• isde02(zone5b)

Pachypodium bispinosum, saundersii, succulentum. Adenia ellenbeckii. Sinningia leucotricha. Euphorbia stellata. Anacampseros sp.

• geoforce

Isde...

That Fouquieria splendens (think that's what you called it) has a most interesting compound leaf. Reminds me of Poncirus and a few other citrus group plants.

Lovely Pachypodium seedling.

Jeff (5b) thanked geoforce
  • isde02(zone5b)

It does look similar to Poncirus, geoforce. What do you have growing?

• geoforce

isde...

Didn't have a single cactus or succulent except for a one Stapelia up until September but then started getting hooked after coming here to get some info on them. Now have TOO MANY or so my wife thinks. I tend to get excessive rapidly.

I now have several other stapeloids as well, and have started some seedling of Adenium and acquired a mishmash of other things by local purchase, seed, and a few leaf porliferations. I'm really getting interested in small cacti, especially Rebutias and just got in 3 new ones yesterday in the mail to go with the one I have blooming which I got at the local HD.

Jeff (5b) thanked geoforce
  • isde02(zone5b)

That's usually how it starts lol. I tend to jump in head first as well. Feel free to share some pics, we'd love to see your plants.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a

Lol, it's a disease, I tell you. I'm ordering more Astrophytum seeds. Why on earth I need more Astros, I don't know. I guess I just love all the weird variants that genus has. At least cactus seedlings are small and slow growing so I can fit in lots of them. Think I need to get more lights, though...

• Eryn Falas zone8
    Thank you so much!!!!!
  • Eryn Falas zone8
    I'm sorry, wrong discussion.