Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffo_grow

Seedling Photos

Jeff (5b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Cheiridopsis glomerata. These are growing fast. One already has a second set of real leaves.

These Lithops have kind of buried themselves. I like how some plants can do that. I wish they weren't so close together. These are slow.

This is a rogue seed in with the Lithops. It looks like a Titanopsis, doesn't it?? It's also growing fast. This should be a great plant, whatever it is.

Cactus from a seed mix, painfully slow. I think they're from last summer. I hope they're alive.

I have some Aloes that are extremely slow growing that are kind of hard to photograph at this stage. Some Gibbaeum just germinated and also Fenesteria. I'm waiting for a few others to germinate.

Comments (342)

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes Stefan, from koehres, I get most of seeds from them.

SLD from who? Anything good?

• Stefan
    5 years ago

Germination has been lousy lately. Maybe cause of humidity and heat, maybe because of dud seeds. I am analyzing the problem, and will deal accordingly....

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Good luck, you'll work it out.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

I ordered Uncarina Roeoesliana seeds earlier this year. I didn't expect to get good germination rates from them so I planted 20 at one time. Well 15 out of the 20 germinated (that'll teach me to make assumptions). Almost 6 months later and the 5 that didn't germinate....are sprouting now.

They're popping up everywhere.

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    5 years ago

Isde, my seeds are from Orient Adenium. I bought 15 seeds each of 'Grape Fairy' and 'Adam' x 'Magic Elf'. Because there was a delay in shipping them out, they included 10 seeds of 'Kiseki'.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

That's usually who I buy my adenium seeds from. I probably don't need any more but I want a grafted adenium crispum.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Avonia papyracea coming along.

All of these have changed for the first time now. 3-6mm maybe.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

The Avonia looks very cool! The adult size reminds me of eels.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, don't say that! Get it out of my head.

Fenestreria progress photos:

Right after being potted too soon.

Few days ago with some still-stressed outer leaves:

Unusually plump monster Haworthia seedling within 3 weeks.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

All sown on 9/20:

Pachypodium Baronii

Sinningia Eumorpha

Sinningia douglasii

I have three other species that have germinated but no pictures yet.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Very nice. Are you using a lot of organic material? I haven't been satisfied with my germination rates. I'm going to be experimenting. I'm going to try going back to potting soil and perlite , and go the other way and try pumice, aquarium sand and a little fine sand. I seem to be fine once they're started.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Jeff yes, I just use mg cactus soil and perlite and it works well for me. I usually get pretty good germination rates. It's the opposite for me, getting them to pop is easy it's afterwards that I make mistakes.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'd like 200% germination rate.

Cheiridopsis peculiaris slowly coming along.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anacampseros filamentosa ssp namanquaensis

Various Lithops from seed mixes.

Not sure which cactus this is.

Haworthia seedling photos posted in Haworthtians thread.

• niksouthafrica
    5 years ago

If using inorganic mixes, you need to fertilse quite soon, which can be deadly. I experimented with 1:1:1:1 mixes of sifted C&S mix, washed silica sand, perlite and vermiculite and another mix where I substituted coco peat for the C&S. The coco peat made an airier mix but I got better results with the C&S. I would think that C&S is a better fit than straight potting mix because the pH is slightly acidic and it contains slow-release fertiliser and is lower in nitrogen, higher in trace elements.

I have noticed unhappy roots in higher nitrogen growing mixes, that is, when I used ordinary potting mix as opposed to C&S. The mesembs didn't mind but some of the haws got very unhappy. I dont grow anything in purely inorganic mixes because I prefer not to fertilise but organic mixes don't work so well for those in cooler, more humid climates

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

I have been slacking in fertilizing since my inorganic mix came with some time release fertilizer in it. That mostly ran out a few months back... will start fertilizing once I bring everything else indoors.

Anacampseros retusa seedlings, mixed with some tiny propagations:

Avonia albissima - now 1.5 years old:

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nik, thanks for the feedback. You would need to specify what's in the C&S mix though. Around here, most C&S soil is just potting soil (peat moss with a tiny bit of perlite) with some extra fine sand, as far as I know. I should check if the pH is different, but it's still peat moss.

[Not directly related to Nik's comment] I have some Lithops in a mix of perlite, pumice, and a little bit of vermiculite. All I notice is that they're behind all the others in changing leaves, which doesn't mean much. I've been fertilizing all along with low nitrogen fertilizer. Normally I use that plus some peat moss and a little bit of sand, but I'm always changing it somewhat.

ewwmayo, very nice. The Avonias look like eels. :) Not really.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

I happen to love eels! So no problem there. =)

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Addendum: I wonder if pH would affect germination rate? I haven't read anything about it.

ewwmayo should be an eel keeper.

• niksouthafrica
    5 years ago

Ph definitely affects germination but it depends on the extent to which the plants are adapted to specific soils. Geology can be inferred frm plant life. For example, protea seeds will not germinate in alkaline soils, even using tapwater instead of rainwater will make them less likely to germinate.

• niksouthafrica
    5 years ago

The C&S mix we get here is coco peat, bark fines, washed silica sand and slow-release fertiliser. No soil added. The main ingredient is organic

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Fouquieria Macdougalii and F. Diguetii seedlings. Slow but growing.

5 years ago

New Adenium babies, and a solitary E. francoisii

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

What's that soil mixture that you're using SLD?

5 years ago

It's a mix of pumice and coir.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

My pachypodium brevicaule leucoxanthum seedlings are doing awesome. Here's my largest one:

I also have three smaller ones that I plan on grafting:

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

It's tough to keep these ones in just the right lighting conditions! Haworthia hybrids from my own pollination:

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ewwmaayo how old are those? Very nice.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Adenia ellenbeckii. I have an older one that I germinated at the beginning of the year. But I had a few seeds leftover so I decided to sow them.

Cyclantheropsis Paviflora

and Pachypodium Saundersii. I just have to sow some sort of pachypodium seeds whenever I sow seeds lol.

• ewwmayo
    5 years ago

Jeff - I think they are a year old? Some are a bit older. For so long I had them under too much light and they grew slowly.

Isde - Hope your Pachypodium grows big and fat!

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate it!

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nice skinny fat plants.

I would like to continue this thread. It started out as me showing photos of seedlings. Then others joined in, then there was some conversation. I was wondering if it would be good to retool it as a place to talk about all seed growing stuff. What do you think? I realize it wouldn't be super active, but I would at least be updating it now and then. I don't want to take anything away from threads for fat plants, mesembs, or any others. I post some seedling photos in the mesembs and Haworthians threads now and then, and I know some of you also post in fat plants threads.

I have a large order coming from Mesa Garden any day of Euphorbia horrida, Copiapoa cinerea, and many types of Lithops and Titanopsis (Titanopses ™Jeff). Finally all of my favorite stuff and no seed mixes. I also have Haworthias going now, but you know how slow they are.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

100% germination on the pachypodium saundersii and cyclantheropsis paviflora seeds.

The empty tray is stephania seeds which I can't get to grow. This is probably my third try with them and even with growth hormone, nothing. I'm starting to think that these seeds are sterile....oh well.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    5 years ago

Looking good those seeds could be sterile I often wonder that about some that want sprout for me

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Hey! How are you bro? Long time no see.

Yes this is the third time I've tried these from the same seller and I haven't been able to get one to sprout. Even with scarification and a 24hr hormone soak. I say sterile.

• Stefan
    5 years ago

Isde who is the seller...

• tanpexoctics Willis
    5 years ago

For some reason when I'm typing words it deletes when hit space bar so been a pain trying to post anything so I pretty much just read the

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Stefan it was koehres.

Willis, yes the updates have made things annoying around here. I think that everyone has had issues of one type or another.

• Stefan
    5 years ago

Koehress ...has 7or 8 viable out of 10 packages...and some are older than others....

Germinated some 40-50 tricho seeds, got 30-40 trichos..

Germinated some 50 euphorbia seeds, only 10 sprouted...

If it dont work twice, then try a different seller....

Personally i dont recommend succseed....less germination than koehres...

maybe bercht or adblps.....

5 years ago

lots of itty bitty cactus seedlings. Mostly Astrophytum, a couple Ariocarpus, a few Lophophora, and some Mammillaria. They're a little hard to see...

some Aloe seedlings...

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sld, wow. Good thing you have so much room for when they're adults. :) Those are fantastic labels. How do you print them and what are they made of? I have to get my act together with that.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    5 years ago

These Dioscorea seeds just starting to sprout been in the soil since March so never give up on them well can't pic to load so

5 years ago

Jeff, at least they grow slowly, I'll worry about having room later :-) We have a label maker, just prints whatever you type on adhesive tape. Much easier to read than my writing, lol!

5 years ago

these are the labels I used: https://smile.amazon.com/Delatanus-200pcs-Reusable-Plastic-Waterproof/dp/B07DSXL1MX/ref=sr_1_23_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541209464&sr=8-23-spons&keywords=plant+labels&psc=1

I like them because they're a bit thicker than most plant labels, and don't bend easily.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do those labels last for years? I was going to have my wife laminate some.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sld, can I ask where you got the aloe seeds? I had a very old aloe hybrid mix that I just used up and didn't get any more out of it. I'd like to do more. Yours look very similar. Photos of them are on this thread.

• isde02(zone5b)
    5 years ago

Willis, try again. Don't click submit right away. You have to let it upload before submitting.

The process to upload pictures is a little different than what it was before. Experiment on one of your old threads.

• tanpexoctics Willis
    5 years ago

Isde that worked. Thanks for

5 years ago

Jeff, regarding the labels... time will tell, I just started using these recently. I noticed that Corona Cactus uses adhesive labels on plastic, and their's seem to last well. As for the plastic labels themselves, they are thicker and sturdier than the usual plastic labels, so I'm hopeful they'll be less apt to get brittle and break over time.

The Aloe seeds came from my plants. A. 'Peppermint' x A. 'DZ'. Unfortunately I don't have the parent plants anymore.

A question for you guys.... when you list the two parents in a cross, do you put the pod parent first and the pollen parent 2nd, or vice versa? I think that there's a protocol for this, but I can never seem to remember it.

• Jeff (5b)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Time for a fresh new page: [Growing From Seed[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/growing-from-seed-dsvw-vd~5532837)

Let sld know if you have an answer to her question above.